Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coop's?

loneranger

Does anyone know where there is a Coop. near Ottumwa or Fairfield ? There is a feed store in the little town down where my land is and the guy told me he thought a 50# bag of Rye would run 60-65$. That sounds way high to me. I have read on here guys buying it at Coops. Any near Ott or Fairfield? Thank You.

Depending on where you are traveling from to get you your ground in Ottumwa, but there are co-ops in Knoxville, Pella, Chariton, Albia (Smith's Fert. & Grain), Albia (Quality Ag), and I'm pretty sure there is a co-op in Troy and a Golden Furrow (fert./chem. retailer) in Eldon.

A 50# bag of Rye (grass) might be $60-$65 (1.30/#) but a bag of Rye Grain, which is what i'm guessing you want should be around $25-$30. I used to manage a co-op and our rye grain was about 56 cents per pound. Make sure your asking them for the right stuff. Hope this helps.

[ QUOTE ]
bag of Rye Grain, which is what i'm guessing you want should be around $25-$30. I used to manage a co-op and our rye grain was about 56 cents per pound. Make sure your asking them for the right stuff. Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ] Pharmer is right. I made a mistake Rye grain comes in 56# bags, it's not 56 cents a pound. I just got off the phone with my old co-op contact in Knoxville and there Rye grain is 15 cents a pound and comes in 56# bags so it's $8.50 a bag. Sorry for the confusion.

I do drive down thru Pella. The Golden Furrow in Eldon is where they told me $60. I told them I wanted the Farming type rye not the grass seed type, but maybe the guy was thinking grass seed prices,guess he didn't have the prices right in front of him. Fifty cents a pound sounds more like it.

If you go through Pella it's Two River's Co-op. Kind of on the south side of town over by McDonald's. I'd call them first to make sure that they have Rye Grain. and it should be around 15 cents a pound not 50 cents. Their number is 641-628-4167 Ask to talk to Jay or Matt or Nick. If they don't have it at their Pella location they might have it at their Otley location, which is right off of Hwy.163.

You could also try Reiff grain in Fairfield. They are located just North of town on the east side of HWY 1. I'd call and check to see if they had any in stock first, 641-472-4136.

I buy seed from Reiff Grain in Fairfield too. They are on the north side of town right on Highway 1. They do not always have things like field rye and brassicas(turnips) in stock though, so it is advisable to call ahead and have them order some in for you, etc, if you are going there.

Winter wheat, various grass seeds, clover varieties, oats, fertilizer, etc, are normally in stock though.

When I do go there it is normally on a Saturday AM and the guy(s) that are on duty then I find pretty enjoyable to work with. They are more than patient with a non-farmer like me which I appreciate.

[ QUOTE ]
You could also try Reiff grain in Fairfield. They are located just North of town on the east side of HWY 1. I'd call and check to see if they had any in stock first, 641-472-4136.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my Rye there and think it was around $12 a bag. Really good people there.

I don't know your travel route but Riverside Feed and Grain always seems to have it or they always seem to have it in Salem.
You just need someone that knows what you're talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
Rye should be no more than $12 or so a bag even in a high year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought rye seed at A&K Feed in Birmingham for $10 a bag and oats for $11.50

I would say the $60 a bag stuff is ryegrass not field rye
smirk.gif

$9.20 a bag (56lbs) in Mt. Pleaseant at the Kent Feed Store on the NW corner of town. $9.75 a bag at Stutsmans in Hills.

(Pharmer who sells rye in Salem???)

There was a feed/seed store on the north side of town. I thinking it was Salem but it might be confused with Mt Hamill in my brain. I don't know the name either way. I picked up some beans there once.

Top Bottom