Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn germination Question

Exactly two weeks ago I tilled up my food plot, broadcasted my RR corn seed then cultipacked. I could see a lot of the seed still on the surface as the ground was pretty hard but i figured with rain in the forecast the very next night I'd be ok. It did rain good too. Anyhow, I checked on the food plot today and VERY little corn has germinated. So little in fact it has me concerned. I couldn't actually see any seeds on the ground because I think the rain helped cover them but shouldn't I expect to see germination and baby corn plants already? I'm worried my planting didn't take. How long should I give it before I consider replanting?

On a side note, the soybeans I planted the same weekend came in beautiful and are already 2" tall.

From my experience, corn seed needs to be at least an inch deep.

Soybeans are more tolerant of planting depth, weather conditions permitting. They can be broadcast on top of the soil.

No corn two weeks after planting is a bad sign, IMO.

With the weather we have had, I wouldn't expect to see much more if any more germination. I would replant but instead of broadcast seeding plant the seed at 1.5 to 2 inches below the soil surface. This will increase germination rates.

It may take off, but will take longer. It also will not establish very good roots and will lead to poor stalk growth.

Go look right inside some farmers fields by the drives... You may see where seed was spilled from filling the planter etc, if you get lucky. Those seeds on the ground wont look near as good as germinated seeds in the ground. May even have emergence already, and still no development on spilled seed.

If you planted two weeks ago, you will probably need to replant. Many farmers here in SE Iowa are in the same boat if they planted around April 25/26th. It was the absolute worst time to plant corn this spring (even the local Pioneer dealer confirmed that).

Top Bottom