Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn harvest early ????

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
I was out last evening in NE Iowa glassing my hunting area only to find the farmer that leases the crop land to be harvesting the corn. Isn't it a little early to harvest...... I did not get a chance to speak with him, yet I am wondering will a lot of the corn be harvested by early/mid October?

yep...there won't be much corn left in the field by mid october...There might not be much corn left by Oct 1st in some places, quite a few guys are going to fire up this week around here........

My Dad will start corn in the next week and a half....this is a little early, but we got our crops planted pretty early this year. I bet there won't be much corn left for opening of bow season....or for early season muzzleloader. Oh well, I would rather have the corn out so the deer are pushed into the timber a little closer towards my stands! Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

I seen them out picking seed corn Sat. morning in Monona county.It won't take long this year not much out there to get!We had a pretty good hail storm too plus the dry weather.
I like to see early harvest like the Gunner, it just narrows down their travel lanes makes hunting alot better!!

flatlander

There are some farmers who like to get a jump on things and harvest corn now in mid-September and will dry it down in bins. As soon as they can cut beans though they will switch over to beans and when finished, they will return to whatever corn is left.

I would be surprised if ALL the corn is down anytime prior to mid-to-late October, even if it remains dry and so forth. One can certainly hope though!!
smile.gif
Also, since some areas of the state were extremely dry this year there may be an early harvest in those areas.

However, having hunted the early muzzleloader season many times and always hoping for the proverbial "early corn harvest", that never quite materialized, I wouldn't hold your breath too long.

It is also possible they were cutting corn for silage, that usually happens about now too.

i was out scouting tonite and seen 1 field that had been chopped for silage. that was in the south central part of the state. also seen a nice flock of turkeys.
smile.gif

They are just chopping around the Iowa City area. Sure does make for good goose hunting in late September. A lot of it will depend on the rain. If it stays dry I would imagine that the crops will be out early this year.

Hey Limb,
Don't you hate it when the crops are coming out like crazy and you just patterned a flock of geese? Once we get a flock patterned I hope for rain so the crops don't change. Can't hardly beat a fresh cut-for-silage corn field.
Couple of weeks to go!
Pupster

I hear ya. It's good to know a lot of people... love hunting them early and late in the season. Get the Half Breed ready, it won't be long now.

On top of early planting and recent dry weather, people are going to be out in the fields earlier to try to get some grain to market before prices drop. Mid October and I betcha it's almost all out.

Rainfall has been all over the place this year in different areas of the state. We were averaging 2"/week in August, but I was just through MO. and SW IA and very dry and combines going strong. High moisture corn for ethanol, and some chopping going on here, but I'll be hunting standing corn for 1st muzzleloader.

Top Bottom