Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn harvest?

mecosta

How is the corn harvest coming out in the western part of the state? I will be there starting the 7th and am a little worried that all of the corn will still be standing and it could make the week pretty tough. Thanks

i know in SW there is alot of standing corn.. sunday was the break through day and rain is coming to put it to a screaming hault...

From what I saw some had been taken out but dont know what part of western Iowa you need. Im more in the southern tier. Also the rain last week slowed stuff down and now they are calling for rain tomorrow for 3 days and then a break for the weekend and more rain first part of week. So that is surely going to slow harvest down, unless they get alot out today.

In my spots fields are still very wet, so it is going to be awhile til the corn is out.

we will be hunting the public ground in Manoma and Harrison counties.

Do you guys use different strategies if the corn is up vs. down?

Just had a farmer tell me this morning that his corn is still at 30.1% moisture.....he said his will be standing for awhile.....Heck, they haven't gotten out 20% of the beans yet! Corn and bowhunting don't go hand and hand unless you happen to get lucky from my experience!

Good Luck.

FF

Last edited:
I am no expert but simple logic tells me that this slow harvest season is going to make for some long, slow days on stand this rut season. I have always had most of my set-ups in timber funnels or travel corridors rather than field edges. I am thinking most of my set-ups might be slower than normal this fall :(:(

they got a lonnng ways to go

Id say about 90% or more is still in, and one of our landowners said the corn was at a moisture level of 33% still. needs to get down in that 20% range from what I know.... Which isnt much.... but he told us 3-4 weeks yet on his farm that may vary from farm to farm and based on when the corn was put in....

I bet we don't see the bulk of the corn begin to get harvested for another 3-4 weeks minimum....

Last edited:
Mecosta..... Have you hunted that area before? That's my stomping ground if you need any input. Corn in or out, you will be there during the start of the rut.

All the farmers are telling me the stuff I hunt in SE Iowa won't be out till around Thanksgiving. I guess we will see. The deer aren't going to stay in the corn forever, but it sure makes it tough!!

I know there is a lot left in the field. We still have a couple thousand to get out and there are a lot of guys getting nervous. A couple October snowstorms get people nervous pretty quick. There is still a ton of beans to get out of the field as well.

The beans are all just about there as far as moisture goes. We just need some warm dry weather so guys can get rolling but the weather just hasn't been cooperating.

We have picked a few acres of corn that averaged in the 20-27% range but there is still a ton of corn out there that is well into the 30's.

This is part of an article that was in the QC Times yesterday:

"Recent production numbers show that farmers throughout both Iowa and Illinois are way behind in harvesting because of the wet weather.
Rebecca Alter of the Iowa field office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service said that for the week ending Oct. 11, only 6 percent of corn had been harvested throughout Iowa. Normally, it is 21 percent by this time. Last year, it was only 6 percent as well, she added.
Only 29 percent of soybeans have been harvested in Iowa, too, she said. Last year by this time 64 percent had been harvested, and in 2007, 74 percent had been harvested.
In Illinois for the week ending Oct. 11, 6 percent of corn had been harvested compared with 19 percent last year, said Mike Clark, estimates group leader of the Illinois field office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service. Only 10 percent of the soybeans had been harvest by Oct. 11, compared with 42 percent last year, he added.
"Two years ago, we had 75 percent harvested by this time," Clark said.
New harvest numbers will be issued today for the week that ended Sunday, but they are not expected to be much better because of continuing wet weather in the Midwest."

It keeps raining. We can't even get the beans out. Getting worried about stalk rot on the corn. This is gonna take forever, we might be done by ice fishing :(

Maybe we will all have some great late season flood plots to hunt over when the farmers can't get their corn picked due to the wet fall we're having!

Im on the road working, just went from Albia to New Hampton. And seen alot of picking going on. 90% beans, though.

Last year in West Central, Illinois, at a piece of land I hunt, the Corn didnt get picked until Late November. Luckily its beans this year.

Top Bottom