Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn Prices

I know over 4 in Madrid,north of DesMoines. This Summer it needs to flood along I-80 to finally get some down south. Got an inch total my place,south of Ottumwa since Sunday. But just SW of me,,farmer has received only about .6 the whole time. Everything struggles to make it down this way. For some reason?

I get texts every day on grain prices so i can contract them when prices tick to levels I want to sell at.... GOOD GOSH!!.. My text yesterday was $2.96 on October corn. Each day that goes by- guys I see & talk to almost everywhere have some great crops SO if this trend continues with great yields- OMG. Hopefully guys have good enough yields to offset low prices. I mean heck, it's a real possibly corn COULD hit $2.50 (who knows). I just have a strong guy feeling we have a major correction coming after this fall with a % of newer farmers that could have some major problems with these prices. Rocky road ahead IMO

The jump in prices this summer has sure corrected. It will be interesting the next couple of years.

I do feel bad for farmers that are going to have a rough go of it, but I view it as a major opportunity. I expect the CRP sign up to be crazy.

I thought the CRP sign ups would be going crazy too especially since they are paying well, but I recently read that they are at the acreage capacity of around 24 million acres so most people that apply to enroll acres are getting turned down.

We had 76 renewal contracts apply this year in our county and only 3 got accepted. The 73 contracts had to go back into farming and no new contracts were accepted either. The lady at the FSA office said they are full.

We had 76 renewal contracts apply this year in our county and only 3 got accepted. The 73 contracts had to go back into farming and no new contracts were accepted either. The lady at the FSA office said they are full.
Hopefully this will lead to more available pasture ground. There has been a lot of it tore up in the past few years with everyone wanting in on 6-7 dollar corn and $15 beans.

I have actually seen some good ground planted to pasture this year. Most crop guys that aren't already in cattle don't want the extra work to start. Soon enough those numbers won't be as favorable either. We are getting less than half what we were for bull calves a year ago. It was helping offset the crap milk prices for the past year. Most of the time a remember getting less than 150$ a head.

So a regular rotation of corn/beans at a 70/30ish ratio with a few cows and hogs with a little CRP like the old days as to not have all the eggs in one basket per se would help to weather the extreme high and low markets?

Many farms that are/were Crp farm don't have much for fence or infrastructure for cattle.
It is unfortunate that land converted from crop back to pasture won't build crop history for future Crp. The amount being paid on new CRP contracts is roughly double what a reasonable cash rent is in today's market.

Continuous CRP should be available? Every county should have that option.

I don't like the CRP crop history requirement, they should site visit instead and make exceptions if the land would provide good habitat, and help with erosion.

Top Bottom