Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

corn stove...

bkcrrtnps

Do any of you own, use or have any advice about these? Instead of cash rent I am getting the equivilent in corn for allowing my neighbor to plant so Im going to invest in one...

Most cornstoves I think burn about one bushel per day. If you are renting out one acre for say $200, you should get a little over 28 days worth of corn from him. If you're renting out 5 acres, free heat for the whole winter! I'd say go for it as far as for getting as much corn as you need, but if you're renting out more than 5 acres, you'll probably be on the losing end of the deal, unless you have a good use for a bunch of left over corn. Feed the deer?

I have been around them before. They were more popular when we had $2-$3 corn. They work, are cleaner than wood or pellets, and are easy to install and vent.

Your agreement is vague, but I wanted to add my opinion. An acre of ground should produce enough corn to run the stove through an entire heating season. I would take another look at cash rent, buy a propane fill with proceeds from your check, and laugh my way to the bank with the rest.

From what I've heard, the corn has to be below a certain moisture (15% or less?). Are you going to get that straight from the field? How are you going to store it until you use it? With the price of corn, I'd be tempted to sell and buy wood pellets if you have a corn/wood pellet combo stove (or buy LP, which is much less hassle).

I only cash rent 2.6 acres and at 350 and acre so I was just going to get 700 in corn and store in my gravity wagon

I have had 2 of them made by USSC. Mine could burn pellets & corn & whatever else. I heated my entire house. I can tell you for a fact that corn burns far hotter than wood. The room air coming out of the stove is around 100 degrees hotter. I measured it. Corn has outstanding heat, but can be difficult if the moisture level is too high. And if you live in town like me, you gotta have somewhere to store it. Get yourself the stainless vent pipe kit. Corn is hard on plain steel piping, corrodes it. Also on mine I had to clean the agitator everyday. Also had to use pellets & an additive to get the corn burning. We burned about 1 five gallon bucket a day & 2 buckets a day in Jan & Feb. Make sure you are getting the most up-to-date version of the stove you are buying.

Mom & Dad have a corn stove that just has a burn pot - no agitator. Very nice & far much easier to clean than mine was.

I now have a pellet stove made by USSC. Corn got too high, it is not cost effective for me to buy it anymore. So I got a pellet stove & as long as pellets are around $4 a bag I'm OK. Easy to store & handle. I burn about a bag a day. This stove has an ignitor. All I gotta do is load the hopper, clean the inside & the glass door, turn it on & walk away.

Also ask for the tax deduction form if your stove qualifies.

I can tell you for a fact that corn burns far hotter than wood. The room air coming out of the stove is around 100 degrees hotter. I measured it. Corn has outstanding heat, but can be difficult if the moisture level is too high. And if you live in town like me, you gotta have somewhere to store it. Get yourself the stainless vent pipe kit. Corn is hard on plain steel piping, corrodes it. Also on mine I had to clean the agitator everyday. Also had to use pellets & an additive to get the corn burning. We burned about 1 five gallon bucket a day & 2 buckets a day in Jan & Feb. Make sure you are getting the most up-to-date version of the stove you are buying.

Mom & Dad have a corn stove that just has a burn pot - no agitator. Very nice & far much easier to clean than mine was.

I now have a pellet stove made by USSC. Corn got too high, it is not cost effective for me to buy it anymore. So I got a pellet stove & as long as pellets are around $4 a bag I'm OK. Easy to store & handle. I burn about a bag a day. This stove has an ignitor. All I gotta do is load the hopper, clean the inside & the glass door, turn it on & walk away.

Also ask for the tax deduction form if your stove qualifies.

This is spot on!
Ive had one for several years and with corn the heat is fantastic as opposed to pellets. I dont even bother with pellets because of the low level of heat it produces, I use my propane. I rarely use it now due to the price of corn, when it gets to around the 0 degree mark for a few days then I'll spend a little money and buy a pickup load because it is well worth the price to be hot inside my house!

Top Bottom