Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Couple of SD Bucks

adamo

After developing roll after roll all summer long of does/fawns and one small buck in velvet in July... I finally found something to look at.

I stalked up to within 20 ft of this small buck friday night... I saw from a distance that he had a goofy rack and wanted to see more. He was too small to shoot, but fun to look at. Its a little hard to tell, but his left antler bends down in front of his face like a face-mask.

weirdbuck.jpg

And, I've never seen this buck until I picked the film up. SCENARIO: This buck WILL NOT make it through the rifle season, I am not able to manage this land for bigger/older deer. If it was my land, I'd for sure pass, but what's the point if he will get shot anyway? What are your thoughts and guesses on score?

10pic.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
If it was my land, I'd for sure pass, but what's the point if he will get shot anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing for sure, if you shoot him he's dead. They don't grow much after that.

I too would let him walk. Gives him a 50/50 chance anyways. Interesting rack in the first pic. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

I'd call him a 3 1/2, which means he has made it through three rifle seasons already. Ya never know.

Gotta agree with the guys above on shooting him. If he is a buck you'd be pround to take, by all means, take him out if you get the chance but if it is just about getting the tag filled, let him go. Sometimes it won't work out in his survival, other times, it does. You never know.

I'd say score wise, he is around the 90-100" mark.

Wow, I was thinking he was more around 125"-130" especially with his long brow tines.

This is definitely not a "target" buck... he just happens to be the only one I've caught on film so far. I know there are some big ones in the area... especially after the corn starts coming out.

I think 125-130 is pretty optimisitic. I would say more like 120 is about the top end of what I would guess. A buck like that can surprise you and be a 145-150 next year.

I think Ghost nailed it, you can only guess what other guys will do.....use your own judgement and let him walk. 2 - 3 years and he is a great deer!!!!

115-120 range is my guess....shoot him if it makes you happy! If not let him go and he will be 135ish next year.

Good luck

there is a buck mounted like that first buck at rudys rendevous in southern iowa its quite unusual and the food there is damn good

Top Bottom