Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Courgar question.

gansomn

I know stories go like wildfire but I have one. Last spring while my brother and nephew and I were shed hunting we came across some big paw prints in the icy creek bottom. We took pics on our phones and they were as big as the palm of my hand.

Well last night after hunting I was walking back to my truck I stopped to take a leak. I heard a very low growl on the timber hill, followed by a snarl. I have never heard anything like this in my life. Then it happened again. Well bathroom break was over.

Do you think you could bait an animal like this to get some trail cam pics of him. And if so how. I know were not supposed to have them in our neck of the woods, (ask the DNR :rolleyes:). But for the hell of it lets just say there is a chance. This farm is south west of Indialola. Thanks.

should be able to bait it in at night with a rabbit distress call. put camera out aqnd play a tape recorder see what happens. If that don t work tie a goat on a chain, it worked in jurassic park:)

Yes I vote for goat on a chain, just hope the camera is not in delay mode from taking pics of the goat when the creature attacks.
Thats 2 votes now for goat on chain. lol

Seriously though who knows unless you try.

I have a good friend who is a master trapper. He has caught bobcats in live traps using used kitty litter from regular house cats. I guess its just a curiosity thing that they can't resist. Might work for a cougar. If not then you can use the goat! :) Or you could use pepper. Don't use cinnamon! Tigers Love Pepper, but they Hate Cinnamon so I'm sure cougars would too. :D

Back in my trapping days, I used to average 20-30 cats a year. Best set up I had was a covey set (build a small structure of of natural surrounding sticks, grass, limbs, ect..) and would use a small pie pan (kinda like the ones you get at the quick stop with the mini pecan pies in them) and hang it from a branch with fishing line so it will spin in the wind over the covey. Worked like a charm on bobcats.

The tracks I have seen out west were as big as your whole hand. Hope this helps. And no I won't let you chain me up.

Back in my trapping days, I used to average 20-30 cats a year. Best set up I had was a covey set (build a small structure of of natural surrounding sticks, grass, limbs, ect..) and would use a small pie pan (kinda like the ones you get at the quick stop with the mini pecan pies in them) and hang it from a branch with fishing line so it will spin in the wind over the covey. Worked like a charm on bobcats.

Since you've caught and obviously released a lot of bobcats, I've always been curious....how does one go about releasing a trapped bobcat? I would think that it would be a 'dicey' undertaking at best.

Also, how big was your covey that you hung the pan in?

Any master lynx trapper I know up here has a secret ingredient.
Catnip....................No guff.

Since you've caught and obviously released a lot of bobcats, I've always been curious....how does one go about releasing a trapped bobcat? I would think that it would be a 'dicey' undertaking at best.

Also, how big was your covey that you hung the pan in?

I released them with a .22 cal bullet to the brain. I have only lived in Iowa since 2005, and my "trapping days" were before that when I lived in Missouri and Arkansas, which has always had an unlimited catch on cats.

The pan hung above the covey, but the covey was sized due to bait. If I used a beaver carcess, I would make it big enough to completely conceal the carcass, leaving just a small window in the front that they can see in, and that is where I would place the trap (loved the #2 victors for cats). On the limb above the covey is where I would hang the pie pan. Cats are curious animals, the spinning pie pan always caught their attention.

Ha the goat thing was a good one my buddys at work beat you to that one though. I will be hunting there this weekend and see if anything else takes place. I will think about some of the ideas and try anything so get him on camera.

Its still wild to thing im out there trying to kill something when in all reality something out there could kill me just as easy.

Thanks for the input. Later, Pat

I catch my cougars by making eye contact then licking my eyebrows. Or maybe it’s because I leave my shirt unbuttoned down to my white leather belt that’s holding up my white bell bottom pants, so my massive and hairy chest shows and my Spanish doubloon necklace reflects the light from the mirrored globe spinning above my head. Prolly helps to be waving a fist full of hundys just before I make it rain. Works great at the Raisin Ranch Gentleman’s Club. Their motto: Rusty and Crusty but still Lusty.

The ‘Bonker

Top Bottom