Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cover Plot with Raddishes?

grimreaper888

What would be good to plant with forrage raddishes? I will be planting in mid august depending on if we ever get any rain. Something to keep weeds out and fairly browse resistant.

My thoughts were to mix in Clover just wasnt sure how it would do being planted that late.

Any advice would be appreciated

What would be good to plant with forrage raddishes? I will be planting in mid august depending on if we ever get any rain. Something to keep weeds out and fairly browse resistant.

My thoughts were to mix in Clover just wasnt sure how it would do being planted that late.

Check out the cereal grain thread in Dbltree's Corner. This is the best food plot info out there. There are reccommended mixes for late Aug early Sept planting that incorporate Forage radishes

In dbltree's 'Brassica' thread, he has a mix with raddishes, dwarf essex rape, and purple top turnips. I just ordered it from Welter's Seed and got it yesterday.. Will be planting it here toward the end of July.

I have put clover with good results in brassicas seeded throughout the month of august. You won't see much growth for this fall but it will really take off the following spring.

The one thing I would watch is that some raddishes have a pretty short growing season, so August planted raddishes could be done growing and gone to seed before the first frost hits.

Thanks for the Info. I Normally dont resort to this but my beans are fried, so i am trying to come up with a late season food source Mainly during last 2 weeks in december. The raddishes i have are groundhog raddishes and allow 60 days for maximum growth. So i guess mid september would be best.

In the past with turnips or raddishes i have had trouble with weeds thats why i was asking about a mix to help keep the weeds out. Guess well see. Nothings gonna grow if we dont get rain

Top Bottom