Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote control?

Liv4rut, I have an FX5 and a .204 and will travel as well to kill yotes if you ever want to hook up and sling some lead.

As for the fur bearer predators, a farmer told me how he deals with the nest robbers...something like fly bait and coca-cola...says they don't make it far from the bait station. I hate to see that many coons and such go to waste but dang I have seen a ton of those suckers this year, more than ever.

I don't think it's ever a good idea to legalize road hunting, or for the government to take away land owner rights.
That being said "Happy trapping and Good Hunting"

HAH !! I'm all for killing coyotes but lets keep the rifle shots off the roads alright.. in my neck of the woods the scum does it anyway during the late high power season.. talk about dangerous to sling lead into property when you have no idea who or what is in there. otherwise kill as many coyotes as possible.

Iowaqdm here is a little background on the historical pheasant population in Iowa. Back in the 60's there was a program called the soil bank program that set aside a lot of good pheasant habitat. Plus Iowa was a lot different place those days. There were brushy fencerows everywhere, many many farm groves and marshes. Remember, in the 1960's the average farmer could make a living on 160 acres. Nowadays, all those groves havve been torn down, the fences removed and much of the sections are farmed from road to road. When I first got really serious about pheasant hunting in the 70's, the population was not that great, and it was seeing the strain of the things I just mentioned. The farm bill of 1985 and the millions of acres of the new CRP program changed all that. Suddenly we were in the heyday of pheasant hunting. It was the best pheasant hunting I have ever seen and probably will ever see. High commodity prices and fewer CRP acreage is what has spelled the end of the pheasant heyday. Combine that with the wet springs, ice storms, etc. and we have a perfect storm so to speak and the lowest pheasant populations in my lifetime. They will come back, but they will never be back to the levels there were in the 80's and 90's. No matter how many coyotes you kill. The habitat isn't there for it.

Coyotes do not kill many pheasants, but they do take a toll on foxes, which raid pheasant nests. The problem really is that the numbers of furbearers being harvested is way down. Skunks, possums and coons take far more pheasants than coyotes ever will. They do it by eating the eggs. So if you take all these things into account, you can see why the pheasant population is so bad. I do not think we will ever see the amazing pheasant hunting that we had in the 80's and 90's ever again.
In my opinion you pretty much nailed the pheasant thing on the button here. Really the only other things I can think of are the hawks and the use of round up which doesnt leave a weed in the field.It's to bad cause I have a ton of memories growing up watching dogs work and hunting them something I'm afraid my children will not get to experience unless we travel to the Dakotas

Top Bottom