Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote/ deer herd problem

hunter25

Hey guys , just wanted to see if you guys have any ideas on getting rid of coyotes on your farm, every night I hear them sound off an the pack sounds prob about ten or more , they start off howling in one spot an then my entire property sounds off , the deer herd has moved to neighbors property which has less food sources than mine does , across a gravel road, and I have cut corn fields a 3 acrea standing bean food plot which hasn't been ate down at all like in years past . I own 280 acres i shot a buck nov 7 an have not been out since , so Pressure wouldn't be the problem . I have always had the deer stay on my property in years past but not this year . an I have shot a few coyotes using a caller late winter last year , but not enough to dent the pack . Just wondered if any one has had this issue and has any ideas , thanks.

Get a few guys together one night and do a coyote clean out. Fresh chicken or rabbit will do the trick- couple shooters and someone with a spot light will thin the coyote herd quickly. Used this method numerous times. They move on once half of them are removed.

Get a few guys together one night and do a coyote clean out. Fresh chicken or rabbit will do the trick- couple shooters and someone with a spot light will thin the coyote herd quickly. Used this method numerous times. They move on once half of them are removed.

Isn't spot lighting illegal?

Yup. A wanted to get a NV scope with an IR illuminator. Even though it was IR it is still considered a light. Couldn't afford it anyway but man would that have been fun for 'yotes.
Yes, sorry I just moved here from ny where it is legal. Same concept applies to day, just need to have some cover. A distress rabbit will draw them out everytime.

pm, me if you would like some help:) ill gladly provide another gunner or two!

Isn't spot lighting illegal?

Yes, sorry I just moved here from ny where it is legal. Same concept applies to day, just need to have some cover. A distress rabbit will draw them out everytime.

Glad that was cleared up. I was thinking the same thing, only I already saw DNR coming to your door in my mind!

Just read the article posted here by Whitetail Properties, and would agree, taking a couple coyotes won't do much. Need to wipe them out, like all of us. When I was younger, we would go coyote hunting like we were on a deer drive.

Hopefully I will get a chance to do my part on our places this year. Have been turning deer hunts into coyote hunts anytime I saw one during bow season and will continue. Will also be packing while shed hunting for this very reason, as usual.

I would try to find a good coyote trapper to thin them out. Hunting is a lot of fun if you just want to kill a few. If you have some CRP you could set up a bait station and run snares in the trails they make going to it.

As others have mentioned, get a good trapper. You can't kill enough hunting them. Believe me I have tried.

Gotta trap them out in my opinion. First year trapping I only did it in our farm for a couple weeks and got a few. Next year 2 dozen. Last year 35. This year, you just don't hear them like you used, don't get them on trail cam, and don't see much sign of the. We've trapped them as hard as we always do and have caught 3 so far... You can thin them out but it takes a LOT of work

Most effective way is by far some snares and some footholds. Set the crap out of the trails especially in crp and natural funnels and get in some dirt holes and flat sets.

Top Bottom