Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote/Fox

horkeymike

Here is a picture of a coyote my brother Luke shot while we were pheasant hunting one day. The coyote was coming across a series of terraces but the .223 stoped him in his tracks.
810Killing_007-med.jpg

I shot this coyote and fox after the first snow of 2005. Needless to say a few more have went down since!!!!
810Killing_008.jpg

Looks like a lot of fun!
grin.gif

What is your rifle/scope set-up?

Are you using calls or just "spot and smoke"?

Ghost, I am shooting Rugers .223 varmit edition equipped with a Simoons Attex, bipod and sling. It's a pretty smooth gun, I love the trigger. By far the best investment of all my guns!!!

I went out with a buddy last tuesday night since it was a full moon and had alittle snow left...made 4 different stands with the last one around midnight!! Didn't connect on any dogs but when we would howl to start our set they were everywhere around us....They were going nuts!! I'm guessing on 2 of the stands there were 6-8 howling back at us!! Then we would hit the rabbit in distress and nothing...we walked into the wind and both wore snow camo so I know they didn't see or smell us!! What are we doing wrong or is it something else??

Thanks for the advice!!

Fastfreddie

My experiences with night calling is coyotes usually come in fast if they are going to come in at all. Having them answer your howls at night is common. And they will often come into the distressed rabbit call.

During daylight calling coyotes will usually try and get down wind of the caller. This in my experience is not the case during night calling. Not to say that they will not circle downwind at night, how would one know unless one can see them?

I have had limited success with a bright spotlight, but pretty good success with a red lens over the spotlight bulb.

How much calling pressure is there in your hunting area?

I don't do much calling mostly spot and stalk, but Randy Andersons videos are very good and informative. If you have yet to see one of his videos I recommened buying one.

well blake to answer your question in how much pressure do we have? Too damn much.....If your from Clarinda then I'm only 45 miles north of you that starts with an A. Most everything up here gets pickup hunted pretty hard and they run them for miles!! Don't get me wrong there are some sections up here that are irregular and full of timber but for the most part open territory!! I've had some success calling at night and when they come usually it's from the word go because if you don't shoot them they are going to eat you!! Happy Calling........

FastFreddie

I went a week or so ago when there was a full moon and I got one to come in about midnight. I never use a distressed rabbit call, the main reason is, most of these places i hunt the coyotes are hunted hard, and most folks use the rabbit call. I use a yellowhammered woodpecker tape in my caller, i have had pretty good success with it. The coyote I shot, I was facing one side of the tree and my buddy was about 20 yards away facing the other way, I went through my sequence through the woodpecker, and he says the coyote ran right out in the field and hung up about 120 yards out, he only had a 22 and didn't want to shoot that far. I put in the howling tape and the song dog lit up and i knew there was one behind me, I peeked around the tree and it was in midhowl out about 140 yards from me, I pulled up my 270 and shot and missed
blush.gif
I didn't worry though because i knew it would run right at me, because that is the way it was facing. I let it come into about 50 yards on a dead run and shot again and rolled it
grin.gif
It was my funnest coyote hunt, just because it was at night under a full moon, and I have never seen a coyote howl before
smile.gif

Top Bottom