Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote Help

G6

This morning I went out early with the muzzleloader to try to fill my two doe tags I had for second shotgun season. I went to some state ground close to home and found someone in the lot I was going to walk in from, so I proceded to head for the next area which is a longer walk in. I went up on a ridge that I knew from previous years usually had deer on later in the year. Once I got on the ridge and headed down it about 200 yards I saw a doe standing back in the timber about 80 yards looking my way. I froze where I was and leaned against a tree watching the deer. I figured I'd just wait it out to see what happened since there was too much brush to shoot through and if I went farther I knew it would spook. After a minute of looking my way it went up higher on the ridge, after about 5 minutes of waiting I noticed 3 coyotes coming down the ridge right toward me and where the deer should be since I couldn't see them because of the brush. I figured that they would more than likely push the deer to me and that's just what happened.
grin.gif
I rested my gun on the tree I was leaning against and waited and it was a short wait as the deer came running right at me. As the deer came to me I let them get 30 yards and when they stopped I dropped the first one with a well placed neck shot. As the other deer that was standing next to the one I dropped ran off I noticed it was limping on it's back leg and it went down about 50 yards from me only to regain it's feet and go another 20 yards and lay down. I quickly reloaded behind the tree as I watched it. Once I was loaded up all I had was a 70 yard head shot which I knew was not a problem, so I touched off the second round. Knowing the shot was good I went over to the deer and saw that I had hit it in the back ham when I shot the first deer through the neck as it stood behind it.
smirk.gif
All said and done it took me about 2 hours to fill my tags and get back home with a little help from the 3 coyotes.
grin.gif
Well the gun is shooting good and I'm ready for the late muzzleloader season even more.
waytogo.gif

336Muzzleloader_Does_013-med.jpg

I'll be the bad guy.
mad.gif
Glad you had 2 tags so she didn't have to suffer.I preach to my son never shoot until its 100 % clear. Congradulations though, good eating this winter.Not many people get to pose with 2 deer!

I had two tags so I wasn't really worried about the second deer. Even if I didn't have the tag I would never leave a suffering deer in the timber by a mistake. I wish they would have been lined up better.
evil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats! Looks like you saved two bikers...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] You never know Kat, those deer lived not far from from the county road I ride home after work sometimes.
waytogo.gif

Nice. I did the same thing Saturday minus the coyote's!

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Top Bottom