Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

coyote hunters and their dogs.

351.26 Right and duty to kill untagged dog.

It shall be lawful for any person, and the duty of all peace officers within their respective jurisdictions unless such jurisdiction shall have otherwise provided for the seizure and impoundment of dogs, to kill any dog for which a rabies vaccination tag is required, when the dog is not wearing a collar with rabies vaccination tag attached.

[C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, §5448; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, §351.26]

94 Acts, ch http://search.legis.state.ia.us/nxt...173_sec_33']$jumplink_md=target-id=0-0-0-48031173, §33

Yea I don't want them on my place because of running deer off, and it's not theirs to hunt. I have ran dogs and trained dogs since 1991, I know horseback setters supposedly don't run like houds but I use a garmin also and if that dog is some place it is not supposed to be I'm looking for it not lining up trucks with highpowers on the gravel next to the place the dog is and it is not supposed to be. They had a guy walking up and down the road with a shotgun incase the yote tried to cross. I call that hunting my ground but not according to Iowa law. I'm just trying to find a soultion to the problem.

Shoot the dogs? That would take a manly man. Its the irresponsible dog owners fault not the dogs. A guy south of my parents shot a coyote dog with a 22 two years ago and ended up paying the vet bill. Letting them loose on your property that's different from having them run one on your ground and not being able to catch them before they cross the road. I've been on the other side of the situation and it happens. Not intentionally. For those that say shoot the dogs, you must not be dog owners. Or if you are you must keep your dog locked up at all times. Because if your dog crossed into the neighbors yard you would be ok with them shooting it? Dogs are dogs. It's the hunters responsibility to keep them off your property. Sh#tty deal I know.
Not locked up all the time, but I invested in a petsafe wireless fence, and it does the job.

Bowtech84 said:
You again? Hopefully you are smarter than a dog with the one track mind deal, but since you posted it....... And the whole I wouldn't walk into your house, or drive your truck stuff come on. We are talking about dogs not humans. I'm not too concerned with the tag loophole. Out of staters would have to allow residents on their property in order for that to play out, so come on over.

LMAO this is exactly the attitude I'm talking about. You and people like you are the reason there is such a rift between R & NR. You give your entire state a horrible name by attacking anyone who isn't from your side. 95% of people are good nut your overbearing behavior overrides that. The exact same way that poachers give hunters a bad name.

So again why on this earth should you be allowed on my place without permission, but I can't come on yours? Oh that's right a loophole.

You have to see other people's point of views. I see how killing your dog would make you irate. Why can't you see how your dog on my place would make me irate? The excuse "it's just a dog" goes both ways then.

I bought the property, so until you let anyone on your place without permission, you have no room to talk about someone getting mad at you being on theirs regardless of why they are there. It's all fair play.

A dog occasionally running through our ground is not a big deal. It becomes a big deal when dogs are purposely being dropped off on our ground with every intention of hunting it. I have witnessed plenty of coyote hunting. Surround the section with pickups, run them out and shoot them. It may take several attempts to get set up right but that is the end result.

You cant tell me these guys are waiting until these coyotes are in the road ditch before they open up with their rifles. Therefore they would be shooting on our ground which is poaching as far as I am concerned and definitely tresspassing. I cant beleive shooting from a road with a rifle over the bed is very legal. If they are courteous enough to sit in the ditch then they are just setting up to shoot on that persons ground.

Another issue I have is when I was young I lived in the woods. I was always chasing something or looking for sheds..i hope my kids are the same way. I would be freaked out knowing my kids were in the woods when the coyote crew surrounded the section with their rifles.

There are responsible groups out there that may stop or call the landowner to let them know what is going on if the dogs got.off track. I bet most would be cool with it. The main reason why this becomes such a heated debate is I bet most guys that chase coyotes on IW do it with a respectable group that tries to do things right. This is simply a case of the few bad apples that put a bad taste in everyones mouth. Iowa is so broken up it would be tough to keep the dogs on ground they can always be on.

GOARMY said:
This is insane. Why cant people understand that landowners bought that land for themselves? I bought it because NO one and I mean no one would let me hunt so I bought my own. It would be nice if I got to go everywhere and hunt no matter where and could just oh well shrug it off. Look I'm not hard to get along with but when I say no I freggin mean no! I have just had to deal with the neighbor and the comment that am I gona be a good neighbor and let him walk my property? my answer to my friend was hell no. He has his I have mine and thats that. That does not make me a bad guy.
I think the yout dogs should only go where they are allowed and no way should people be able to trespass on your land. Man are people drinking some funny water or is it me?

Lets just get rid of all private property is what your telling me. Well I just may set up a tent on your front lawn. Please bring me a beer.

Thank god I'm not the only ones that thinks this way.....but sometimes if feels that way because the people that agree do not say it but the people that don't scream the loudest and drown everyone else's logical thoughts out.

A dog occasionally running through our ground is not a big deal. It becomes a big deal when dogs are purposely being dropped off on our ground with every intention of hunting it. I have witnessed plenty of coyote hunting. Surround the section with pickups, run them out and shoot them. It may take several attempts to get set up right but that is the end result.

You cant tell me these guys are waiting until these coyotes are in the road ditch before they open up with their rifles. Therefore they would be shooting on our ground which is poaching as far as I am concerned and definitely tresspassing. I cant beleive shooting from a road with a rifle over the bed is very legal. If they are courteous enough to sit in the ditch then they are just setting up to shoot on that persons ground.

Another issue I have is when I was young I lived in the woods. I was always chasing something or looking for sheds..i hope my kids are the same way. I would be freaked out knowing my kids were in the woods when the coyote crew surrounded the section with their rifles.

There are responsible groups out there that may stop or call the landowner to let them know what is going on if the dogs got.off track. I bet most would be cool with it. The main reason why this becomes such a heated debate is I bet most guys that chase coyotes on IW do it with a respectable group that tries to do things right. This is simply a case of the few bad apples that put a bad taste in everyones mouth. Iowa is so broken up it would be tough to keep the dogs on ground they can always be on.
I think if I saw someone drop their dogs off in my property, I would be within my rights to shoot the dogs, or keep them. However, if they were dropped off on ground where they had permission, and came onto my ground, that is ok, as long as no shots are fired or sheds picked up, on my poperty. Does that sound fair?

Bowtech84 you Bowtech021 you guys bring up some very good points and I agree with most of them as well as some other peoples. I can see both sides of this argument and can go either way. I have had hunts messed up because of coyote hunters as well but I have also had many hunts messed up by other deer hunters. I have run coon hounds my whole life and have passion for hounds so its hard for me to just say "shoot them all" like others. Never ran yotes with hounds and probably never will. I have good friends that do and we have this argument all the time. The distance and the number of properties those hounds cover just blows my mind and its hard for me even as a hound person to understand how it this ok.

Just some FYI for those that want to shoot the dogs. You might want to check out the Iowa Code. I would hate to see this happen for both parties. With todays technology of the garmin tracking systems its not the same old 3 S's anymore.

Section 717B.2 It is a criminal offense to injure or kill a dog in the state of Iowa. The unjustified killing of a dog may result in imprisonment up to 2 years, up to 6250 dollar fine, or both.

The only justification for shooting a dog is if you can prove it is molesting livestock and that can be very difficult.

Its my opinion most houndsmen in general are good hunters and do what they can to prevent the hounds from going where they are not wanted. But like always there is those small few who tend to ruin for others.

It's also my opinion that this type of hunting shouldn't happen between oct 1st and jan 10th for safety reasons.

I guess its harder for some to keep on open mind on both sides of the situation.

Hold up! This is getting blown way out of proportion. Nobody ever said that it was ok for the dogs to be on your property. It is your property and I understand that. I was just stating that sometimes dogs, hunting dogs in general can get out of hand. Not intentionally but it happens. Guys turn the dogs lose 2 sections away coyote runs on your property and the dogs follow before they can be caught. It happens! It's hunting! It's unpredictable at times. Like I said before sh#tty deal. Oh and I give people of the state of Iowa a bad name towards NRs? I've hunted for 20 years and can honestly say ive only seen a few out of state deer hunters. I have never had a problem with them. And once again who am I attacking? You didn't answer last time so here's your opportunity to explain. You simply think someone disagreeing with what you have to say is attacking? The smarter than a dog comment? Well that's just good humor and I'm sorry if you were offended by it. I try not to let my feelings get past the keyboard. I don't care if your from Iowa, Nebraska, China...... You put something on a public forum there will be people that don't agree.

I understand that people buy the ground for them to use. But if you think dogs running on your ground a couple times a year is going to affect your deer heard your crazy. Also I've seen many people of here during bow season say a coyote has messed up their hunt, well these people that runs dogs catch/kill many coyotes a year so it's not all bad.

I feel that some are thinking these guys are dumping the dogs right on there land and I can't speak for these yote hunters but I assume they are not. I've seen my share of farm dogs chasing deer so does that mean you should shoot the dog of the farmer that's letting you hunt his property? My favorite comment so far has to be these dogs are running deer off. To be honest all of us that deer hunt scare deer and bump them off property for good more often then a dog will unless the dog is chasing it. I understand people buy land just for themselves to hunt and have no problem with it. But some of these people will complain about the coyote population and say something needs to be done about it.

That's my 2 cents on this peeing match :p

Have they been prosecuted for wasting the deer meat or is this just an assumption you came to? You say you know they are doing this, seems like an easy fix. Especially with a C.O. close enough that you know he post no dog signs on his property. You also said that you gave them permission to use dogs but not carry guns and that would have been the perfect opportunity for them if they are as bad of people as you portray to take the guns in anyways. Instead they decided not even to go in there and shoot your barn light out? Which I assume you have proof of as well. Just doesn't add up to me that these "bad" people had the perfect opportunity to go on your land steal your sheds and tree stands but opted not to go and shoot out your barn light instead. Another point you made was that from now on you will shoot the dogs when they are on your property. Well if they had permission to let the dogs run through your property and didn't do it what makes you think the dogs will ever be on your property again? Then again there might be a time when they don't get them caught and they do happen to cross your fence but I guarantee the last thing you want to do is shoot them if these people are as bad as you make them out to be.

Do you really think they would leave tags on the animals and dump them!!! Think a CO is gonna wait there to catch them dumping, gimme a break. I have had them tell me they do this. Thats why I don't want them near my place.The CO says there is nothing he can do about it as you know. These guys know and expect the dogs to run all over. To tell me I made enemies, then my light gets shot out, put two and two together. If they went on my land more than likely they would get their pics taken. They wouldn't risk it. Now they can tell the local farmers I am the bad guy, won't let them on to shoot the coyotes. I offered to let their dogs on but they weren't happy with that and now " I " made "enemies". These people have trespassed on my land before as I stated one has been prosecuted. So don't tell me these aren't "bad" people, they are slobs that have no respect for anothers property or the wildlife/ the deer they dump or shoot to let lay for coyote bait. Too bad if it ruffles your feathers as I see you are a coyote hunter.

and yes I saw benefit of having the coyotes killed and some goodwill with the locals. Having the dogs run through was ok, but then being told I made enemies, light shot out, deer dumped and shot in the past to let lay, to heck with them.

Not 100% applicable to the situation but still an interesting read. Take the time and glance at it.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/publications/pdf/raccoonimpact.pdf

x2
My favorite comment so far has to be these dogs are running deer off. To be honest all of us that deer hunt scare deer and bump them off property for good more often then a dog will unless the dog is chasing it.

I was sitting on deer drive for late muzzy the last wk of season and had a pair of hounds run a yote 30 yards from me. Half an hour later here came the hounds. They pretty much covered our whole drive. Sure it was a little upsetting but not in one iota did it effect our hunt. In fact a buddy killed a real nice buck less than 75 yrd from where these hounds once were. Now don't get me wrong I was more than worried about the 6 trucks running up and down the road with their 30 round clips ready to emptied in the same timber I was in. Can't get upset when it was landowner doing the hunting and he was actually ticked at me for not shooting the yote.

Interesting stuff about deer movement. I guess I was just looking for some solutions to a what I think is a problem. I understand wanting to hunt with your dogs. I guess the big thing is it is a big deal to me if someones dogs hunt my farm without me saying it is ok. I know things happen in the hunting world that can't be controlled. According to the CO there is no way to stop it! It can happen over and over and over. That is what bothers me. I would never shoot the dogs so that is out as a solution.

BT

Your right I just dropped it in the last topic, but you reopened the can in here with a direct reply to me. Or how about the "join a forum to complain" comment.
Your posts one across as extremely one sided. You intensify the post by belittling others thoughts. You have been aggressive with your posts even in that other topic. When you lead with "you again....." That's going to overheat the situation very fast.

It's not "just hunting" when your dog is two sections away from where he is so opposed to be. If you can't control the animal then you shouldn't hunt them.

Ppl are right that a dog once and awhile hurts nothing, but its principle that matters. We are not debating my duck dog going for a swim in the neighbors pond. The issue springs up with trespassing and deer being ran by those dogs. The issue is PURPOSEFUL trespassing and guys shooting where they do not have permission and a loophole law protecting them.

I've seen some guys in Kansas with hounds and the racing quads. It looked awesome to do, but I watched them drop where they didn't have permission and the landowner liked to shoot them literally. Those guys were a constant problem. I certainly realize there is no way to control those dogs. They aren't even pets, they are trained killers hounds with a pit as the catch dog riding on the quad.

I'd say fun yes, effective management yes, but control is the issue.

stickbow said:
Do you really think they would leave tags on the animals and dump them!!! Think a CO is gonna wait there to catch them dumping, gimme a break. I have had them tell me they do this. Thats why I don't want them near my place.The CO says there is nothing he can do about it as you know. These guys know and expect the dogs to run all over. To tell me I made enemies, then my light gets shot out, put two and two together. If they went on my land more than likely they would get their pics taken. They wouldn't risk it. Now they can tell the local farmers I am the bad guy, won't let them on to shoot the coyotes. I offered to let their dogs on but they weren't happy with that and now " I " made "enemies". These people have trespassed on my land before as I stated one has been prosecuted. So don't tell me these aren't "bad" people, they are slobs that have no respect for anothers property or the wildlife/ the deer they dump or shoot to let lay for coyote bait. Too bad if it ruffles your feathers as I see you are a coyote hunter.

I do enjoy hunting coyotes and trust me you haven't ruffled my feathers. I don't know you but obviously you have reason not to like them and I feel sorry for you having to put up with those low-lifes. My only point was that sometimes dogs go where they are not wanted. Everyone gets on here and rants about it. The topic got off course because everyone has a story to tell about how they are a victim. The guy that started the thread wanted to know if anybody had any solutions to his problem. A lot of people said shoot the dog. I was just pointing out that things happen unintentionally and it's probably not in your best interest to shoot the dog. But that's totally your choice. Shoot the dog if you think that will solve the problem. I really don't care, and if these people are as bad as you claim which they may be I don't know them. Then why do you care that they call the local farmers and tell them you are bad for not letting them hunt your ground? Are you the only one around that knows these guys are scumbags or are you the only one around that thinks these guys are scumbags?

Every time there is a thread like this it amazes me at how many people try to find fault with the landowner or person that has permission to hunt the property. The bottom line is it's up to all hunters(and in this case dogs) to stay the hell off of places they don't belong! Its a bunch of $hit that people who do it right are always having to defend their property and positions!

And yes I own 3 dogs, but I can assure you that dogs chasing deer or coyotes are a problem that needs to be dealt with and will be on my land! And to say that the owner has no control or responsibility, the dog is an extension of that owner, and this is proved every time one bites someone!! It ends with a dead dog and a lawsuit!

351.26 Right and duty to kill untagged dog.

It shall be lawful for any person, and the duty of all peace officers within their respective jurisdictions unless such jurisdiction shall have otherwise provided for the seizure and impoundment of dogs, to kill any dog for which a rabies vaccination tag is required, when the dog is not wearing a collar with rabies vaccination tag attached.

[C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, §5448; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, §351.26]

94 Acts, ch 1173, §33

So when shooting a trespassing dog, make sure to take the collar off.:D

Bowtech bandit said:
So when shooting a trespassing dog, make sure to take the collar off.:D

If your man enough to shoot a dog you should be man enough to tell the owner you did it and if any of you really have the nuts to do that pm me and I will give you my number so you can call me to come watch. I will bring the popcorn.

Top Bottom