Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote or wolf.

bennycrum

I showed this pic of what i assumed and still believe to be a coyote to some friends (all very educated hunters) and to my surprise three of the six of them said this was a wolf. Due to the fact it was taken in central Iowa I would be shocked if it was not a coyote but one thing is for sure. If this is a coyote it is a damn big one. What do you guys think. I do not know how to make the pic show up so here is the link.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/album.php?albumid=704&pictureid=8396

picture.php

My guess would be a crossbreed of coyote and domestic breed.

I would agree with cooter I think it is a cross. Don't ask what breed domestic but sure it is a cross. It wouldn't be a bad pelt to have tho.

at first glance... i thought it was a wolf also... but I think wolves have very big feet and if you compare this k9's feet to a leaf, it looks to be around the same size

one thing you could do is get a yard stick and stick it in the ground right where the k9 is standing and then stand next to the yard stick long enough just so your movement trips the camera.... take the two pics and compare the top of the k9's back to the level of the yard stick referencing it with the trees and leaves on the bushes in the background.. then you'll have your answer

I was leaning towards a wolf/coyote cross. Alot of people own wolf or wolf hybrids maybe one of them crossed with a coyote. Airassault makes a good point about the feet. I took care of a 100 percent arctic tundra wolf for a year or so, for a friend of mine, actually hideing it, it got loose and went after some sheep at Boys Town and the sheriff was looking for him. A pure wolf is tall with big feet like Airassault said. This one was well over 110 lbs. I had a pet Mt. lion for years also, but thats another story. I am agreeing some kind of cross though. Try the yardstick advice and let us know.

6x6 said:
I was leaning towards a wolf/coyote cross. Alot of people own wolf or wolf hybrids maybe one of them crossed with a coyote. Airassault makes a good point about the feet. I took care of a 100 percent arctic tundra wolf for a year or so, for a friend of mine, actually hideing it, it got loose and went after some sheep at Boys Town and the sheriff was looking for him. A pure wolf is tall with big feet like Airassault said. This one was well over 110 lbs. I had a pet Mt. lion for years also, but thats another story. I am agreeing some kind of cross though. Try the yardstick advice and let us know.

I want to hear this mt. Lion story!

Idk, first glance said definitely not a coyote. My guess is a mix of some sort. Whatever it is, at this point in time (whether due to getting winter coat etc..) Its pretty cool looking!

If it really was a wolf you wouldn't even question it. A small wolf is twice the size of this (whatever it is) animal.

Looks like what we call back home, coydog. Our coyote population in SE MO is extremely high, and every once in awhile you get a cross with another type of dog. They usually favor the coyote coloring and build, but can get longer legs or a different type of jaw/muzzle on them.

Or it could just be a really big coyote.

Jmoose- His name was Sinbad. I had him for several years before I moved over to Iowa,[ because of the deer hunting]. I got him on a horesetrading deal for a good trail rideing horse, from a guy that has animals trained for movies and tv. His ear got a split in it from a female so he could not use him with the other lions. He was clicker trained to go from one spot to another and pose, another did the nasty snarling etc., so they did not look alike anymore. Anyway he was a real sweetheart. I had him in the bottom half of our big old horse barn with a large outside pen. One of his favorite games was, everyday when I would clean his litterbox, I let him out and he would run up to the hayloft. We would then swing on a rope from one stack of hay to the other and he would jump up pull you off and kill you. Made alot of money betting people they could not stay on the rope, nobody could. When you hit the ground he would be on top with his legs around you and his mouth around your head or neck untill you stopped moveing, then he would let you up to do it again. Its a wonder nobody got killed. He was over 200 lbs and stronger than you could imagine, but not a mean bone in his body. The only thing was if we brought girls over to watch the cougar wrestling we would have to make sure it was not that time of the month or he would get REALLY wierd. His other favorite game was, after I got done with chores and it was time for him to go back to his pen, I would have to go in the hayloft to get him and it was the same thing everyday. I would get to the top of the stairs and have to look for him. Eventually I would see some flattened ears and big eyes peeking over a bale of hay. Then he would charge 100mph and take me down while wrestled his leash back on. He would then just trot right back to his pen. He was great, I wish I could still have him in Iowa. The only problem I had with him was he killed all my cats and buried them in the litterbox. My sister in Mo. bought a female and we raised some litters of kittens on the bottle, before he finally went to a large breeding facility. Man can those kittens tear up a house once they get a couple months old.

picture.php

Top Bottom