Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote pop increase?

Are snares legal to run after trapping season?

Sent from Cooter's iPad using IW

Trapping season runs from Nov. 5th - Jan 31st. A snare would be considered a trap, so I don't believe they can be used after the season closes. Pray for some light snow and get after it!

Me too, I just dont want to accidentally kill the bobcats, or the neighbors cat,... Bonker.

Went on a boar hunt in Oklahoma this last fall. Everyone down there is amazed at how Iowa is allowing the bobcat numbers to explode. They have become a real problem down there and are putting a big dent in turkey and deer populations. A coyote catches its prey some of the time, a bobcat catches its prey nearly EVERY time. Almost too efficient of a killer. If Iowa trappers were able to catch over 350 cats in about three weeks I'd say there are more of them around than most people think. Don't really understand the quota thing especially with all the complaints about deer numbers being down. I agree with snares being the most effective way to snuff out yotes. :way:

Spotted a yote while bowhunting this morning, couldn't call it in with the lip squeeks. Then had another bobcat 30yds away on the walk out, not near the same area we saw the other cat last night either.

Skully said:
Everyone down there is amazed at how Iowa is allowing the bobcat numbers to explode. They have become a real problem down there and are putting a big dent in turkey and deer populations. A coyote catches its prey some of the time, a bobcat catches its prey nearly EVERY time. Almost too efficient of a killer. If Iowa trappers were able to catch over 350 cats in about three weeks I'd say there are more of them around than most people think. Don't really understand the quota thing especially with all the complaints about deer numbers being down. :

I agree. Seen one stalking pheasants early this fall. Just a bad as a house cat. Nobody wants the cougars here why do we want bobcats?

I know we need some predators. Between yotes and bobcats I will take the yotes.

Sent using IW app

I think bobcats are cool and would love to be able to harvest one, but I don't want the entire state to have a population. On one of the recent Midwest Whitetail episodes the guys from Missouri had footage of a bobcat stalking to within FEET of a deer. They cat made two successful stalks getting within one row of corn, and apparently the bobcat had the deer in its grasps after camera light. It doesn't surprise me one bit, and I think with a deep snow they are hard on deer. Between the yotes and the cats the predator population is definitely on the rise.

Went on a boar hunt in Oklahoma this last fall. Everyone down there is amazed at how Iowa is allowing the bobcat numbers to explode. They have become a real problem down there and are putting a big dent in turkey and deer populations. A coyote catches its prey some of the time, a bobcat catches its prey nearly EVERY time. Almost too efficient of a killer. If Iowa trappers were able to catch over 350 cats in about three weeks I'd say there are more of them around than most people think. Don't really understand the quota thing especially with all the complaints about deer numbers being down. I agree with snares being the most effective way to snuff out yotes. :way:

Cats are the ultimate killers. Back home (southeast MO), we are able to trap or kill as many as we want during the furbearer season. I usually put a heck of a dent in them during that time. And you are correct, if that many are caught that quick, there is a huge population of them out there. I've seen a heck of a lot more cats in Iowa while bow hunting, than I have in Missouri my whole life.

As far as coyotes go, I have a trail cam pic of 5 mature dogs on a scrape, then another pic on an old road way with 7 coyotes in it. A couple of the 7 are young ones, but that's still an unreal amount of coyotes. I think I have seen one every time out bowhunting this year.

Coyote problem

Our group of 4 bowhunters witnessed 4 different occasions of coyotes chasing deer this past fall while we were in the stands. One chase had 2 dogs on a 140" buck - buck was spinning in circles protecting himself - hooked one coyote & flipped him allowing the buck to make a dash across an open field. I saw a small buck with blood down his rear leg being chased by 2 coyotes. We stuck 4 of the coyotes but ALOT more to get this winter.

Coyotes/cats

I had a bobcat on camera on my iowa farm, what are the rules/regs on shooting a bobcat in Iowa?

I had a bobcat on camera on my iowa farm, what are the rules/regs on shooting a bobcat in Iowa?
Can only shoot or trap them in the botton two tiers (might be 3 now not sure) of the state and only until the quota is filled. The quota was 350 I believe and it took all of 3 weeks for it to be filled. So any cats caught now have to be released or turned over to the DNR and they cannot be shot any longer.

Went out the other night, had 8 does come running over the hill top downwind of me, i turned to get a look and bumped the fence with my barrel, they heard it and turned to look at me.They could smell me but came running towards me anyway, bout 50 yrds away they made a big circle.Looked behind em and here came two yotes chasing them, shot one yote and the other one took off, but a 3rd one came outta the fenceline about 100 yrds from me where it apparently had been waiting for the deer to be chased to it.

Bobcats have spread out, according to the DNR they arent in my county.Only problem with that is I walked up on one under a bridge checking traps one day.On another occassion I shot a doe at dark late muzzleloading.Let her lay down, ran back to town to get a light and knife and came back about an hour later.Found bobcat tracks running parallel to the bloodtrail, never seen the cat.Same section the year before we found tracks clear out in the middle again tracking a deer my uncle had shot.We dont have a lot up here but there are a few around now.

Can only shoot or trap them in the botton two tiers (might be 3 now not sure) of the state and only until the quota is filled. The quota was 350 I believe and it took all of 3 weeks for it to be filled. So any cats caught now have to be released or turned over to the DNR and they cannot be shot any longer.

From a outsider looking in, a quota that low seems ridiculous!

From a outsider looking in, a quota that low seems ridiculous!
I feel the same way and I'm an "insider". Like others have said, since the 350 were caught so fast there are more in the state than people believe. I'm in northeast Iowa and we had a guy from our shotgun group two years ago almost shoot a bobcat. He was pushing a slough and he heard something rustling in the grass by a downed tree. He went to investigate and the cat only had one way out and that was right past the hunter. He almost had to change his pants after that encounter and he was ready to blast it fully expecting a yote to come out.

Is there a nuisance loop hole for bobcats?

Mobile Cooter using IW
Not that I'm aware of as of yet. I know the boys down south (southern Iowa) don't like them one bit. And the people from states that have populations of them don't like them at all either. Talked with a trapper who went to Arkansas to trap for a month and they want all cats gone down there.

This is where all the turkeys down south are going. I saw this picture on another site. Pretty amazing but those bobcats are the ultimate killer outside of a mountain lion in Iowa.
982-bobcat.jpg

That picture is amazing. I bet if you could monitor how many fawns, deer, pheasants, turkeys, and other game a bobcat killed throughout the year it would be a real eye opener.

Top Bottom