Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote vs. Turkey

gds

I saw something I thought was unusual yesterday.I was doing some last minute scouting and came upon a flock of turkeys.I was glassing 2 large toms that were really putting on a show.As I watched the turkeys I noticed a huge coyote sneaking along the bottom of a terrace directly below the turkeys.As he popped over the top of the terrace the two Toms in full strut ran directly at him.The Toms chased the coyote away!
I've hunted turkeys for many years and haven't seen this before has anyone else?
OA

Can't say I have, those turkeys can be pretty aggresive this time of year! I remember seeing on TV where someone would have a pet "wild" turkey in town and most of the time they were toms and when mating spring came around they would attack cars coming into their territory or whatever else they thought threatened them!!

Wow!
bigshock.gif

Talk about role reversal!!!

last year I was huting in the early morn when I had 3 toms and a couple hens fly down about 50 yards out as there were too my right in an open feild. out of the corner of my eye a fox came flying down the open feild and the turkeys just scattered and well just to say the hunt was ruined. but I havent seen them stand up to anything before!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

One of the very first times that I went out, sun was just starting to break and we were just starting to call, heard something coming thru the timber, but was coming quickly, got my gun ready, thinking it was going to be a quick hunt, turned out to be a coyote, attacked the head of the hen decoy, spun him on the post and ran off. Still one of the craziest things I've ever seen hunting...

We had 6 Toms working across a little 3 acre field to us when they all got spooked. Just then a coyote bolted out of the brush. He was close, but didn't get any. All the birds flew up into the trees around us. We thought the hunt was done, but it wasn't 5 minutes after the whole incident that the turkeys started to respond to our calling agian. All of them flew back down to the field and continued our way. We ended up blasting 2 of them. It was an awesome morning, and the best part of it is that we caught all the action on video.

I had 2 coyotes mistake me for lunch yesterday while trying to call in some toms. The ravine I was hunting was extremely quiet. When the coyote tried to tackle me from behind I understood why. I was less than three feet from the lead coyote before he realized that he wasn't going to get a meal!!

Top Bottom