Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyotes -- Downwind

Hey guys. Just wondering your thoughts on how far a coyote can wind you. Thinking about some spots I'd like to try to call from. I know you'd probably want to keep them upwind or crosswind as much as possible, but in the event the wind doesn't cooperate, or swirls, or they circle downwind, how far do you expect them to come in downwind? Any strategies for minimizing them getting downwind, or would you try to leave the downwind side pretty open so you can still get a shot?

I've been picked off from a long ways away, but I am stinky. Id say 100+ yards very easily with a decent wind in their face.

I would imagine their noses are every bit as good as a deer's. I would do your best to have the downwind side wide open so you can shoot before they smell you. However, with that being said. A guy I know who does a lot of coyote hunting, with a lot of success, says he doesn't worry about the wind. In his experience if they are hungry, they will come in regardless. I'd be a little leary about hunting with the wrong wind, but that's coming from a guy who's done it a lot more than I have.

^ The key is to know that they will alway go down wind, just be ready to shoot them before they get there.

I think they smell better than deer. If possible I set up 100 yards downwind from my caller.

When checking traps after a fresh snow I have seen coyote tracks turn on a dime 200 yards from a set and make a beeline straight downwind to the dirt hole. Granted the lures in the hole are meant for "long call", but their noses are pretty remarkable. When calling them they seem to work downwind within gun range however.

During deer season I had a coyote 250-300 yards out crossing a cornfield. The coyote got downwind at that distance and stopped on a dime. It was pretty cool to see just how far they can smell.

One thing I have noticed about coyotes is it seems like they will bee line towards the caller until they hit around the 100-150 yard mark. At that point, they will start circling to get downwind. I have had great luck sitting 75-100 yards up wind of the caller with open shooting in front of me in the area I believe they will be coming from.

It all really depends on the set up though where the caller goes. 90% of the time I want it at least minimum 50-75 yards behind me with the wind in my face and great shooting in front of me. Most of the time they wont come in from behind because that is where I walked through to get there. Crosswinds are awesome to hunt too.

Depends on the day. Some days the scent rises. Some days close to the ground. Humidity and temps play into it also. Like the others I like 75 to 100 yds from the caller. Try to use corners or a fence to keep them close to you where they would not like being in the open. Day calling and night calling are very different. I think they are more bolder at night. And their noses are better than deer.

I read an article where they called to radio collared coyotes and they said it appeared on windy days they could wind them up to a mile away. I've seen them over a quarter of a mile on a not too windy day hit the brakes.

Top Bottom