Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CP25 vs CP4D CRP Programs

smithhunter1975

Hello All. I am in early stages of enrolling a few fields of my farm into CRP program. One field along a creek bottom is about 13 acres and will likely be in CP25 program. An adjacent field is approximately 10 acres and has more of a hillside slope to it. This field has about 3 large trees scattered around it that I'm told I'd need to remove to go the CP25 route. I am able to leave the trees if I go the CP4D program. All things equal, I would prefer not to remove the trees, although my ultimate goal is to create premier deer and turkey habitat. Both fields are surrounded primarily by timber so I am hoping for some good diverse habitat. I am pretty familiar with CP25 habitat but have no idea what CP4D is or what it looks like. I tried doing some online research and everything I can find for CP4D is very generic and limited. What are your thoughts/recommendations for this hillside field - clear trees and go CP25 or leave trees and go CP4D?

Just an FYI...I have heard that enforcement of the "no trees in the CRP" is not actively enforced. :)

Now then, results may vary from county to county and I did remove an awful lot of trees, as per the directions, but I did leave a couple select ones in place and they have been there for years now and it has never been flagged. FWIW.

Good question. I follow CRP, but I’m not familiar with the difference? Is the payment similar?

I am trying to get/understand if there is any difference in payment. Easier said than done it appears, seems like they want me to decide which program i want and they run the calculations to come up with rental rate. Reading between the lines I think the payment may be about the same.

I am trying to get/understand if there is any difference in payment. Easier said than done it appears, seems like they want me to decide which program i want and they run the calculations to come up with rental rate. Reading between the lines I think the payment may be about the same.
God forbid they have to run two scenarios, you realize how many extra minutes that takes!!

Just an FYI...I have heard that enforcement of the "no trees in the CRP" is not actively enforced. :)
Perhaps in IA but I think it has changed considerably in NE based on conversations I've had with crp owners and nrcs employees this past year in NE. The two counties i know rather well have went after compliance full force(120 miles apart). People have received letters saying their crp isn't in compliance, letters saying their crp is satisfactorily meeting requirements, nrcs people have been driving out and surveying all the crp I know of in my areas.

My guess these changes are across the country and people will soon be getting introduced to their nrcs offices more frequently.

God forbid they have to run two scenarios, you realize how many extra minutes that takes!!
The two offices I deal with really make it seem like it is a major chore to do that and really don't have the time to do that when I ask for multiple scenarios on field I want to put in.

What is a pain is the two offices I work with have been closed to visitors during covid for the majority of time its been here. People are in the office, they supposedly are working from home, its been hell trying to work with them when one can't have a conversation with them unless it deadline time. It seems like they get everything pushed to that time and then they rush job it done and have a quick, gotta go conversation.

Most of the people I've met at these offices fit the stereotypical government worker description.

Perhaps in IA but I think it has changed considerably in NE based on conversations I've had with crp owners and nrcs employees this past year in NE. The two counties i know rather well have went after compliance full force(120 miles apart). People have received letters saying their crp isn't in compliance, letters saying their crp is satisfactorily meeting requirements, nrcs people have been driving out and surveying all the crp I know of in my areas.

My guess these changes are across the country and people will soon be getting introduced to their nrcs offices more frequently.
Definitely possible for different people in different areas to get different results. FWIW, my CRP acres have been "inspected" at least twice in the past 3 years and so far, no problems have been noted. It is also true that there are not many trees out there...it looks nothing like it once did. I wouldn't even have a good guess as to how many trees I have removed from the CRP, some areas were completely choked out and are now clear.

Daver, it used to be exactly as you described but in talking to the agents they said they have been directed to keep a close eye on crp fields now for compliance and admitted they didn't bother in previous farm bill/crp years. They said the were being directed to do so from the highest level.

A lot of these government employees are not hunters, or outdoors minded. I wish they understood the potential of the programs and had the same enthusiasm for wildlife or conservation as we do…

One gal asked me if was interested in “feed” plots. I said excuse me ? But I figured out what she meant ? There are good employees too, it’s a mix.

All things equal, I would prefer not to remove the trees, although my ultimate goal is to create premier deer and turkey habitat. Both fields are surrounded primarily by timber so I am hoping for some good diverse habitat.

After jumping through a few hoops early on after buying my slightly less than 80 acre piece, I decided there just wasn't enough room on my small farm for Uncle Sam and myself to be hunting partners. No regrets. I stayed in the Timber Reserve program for my extra tag that I haven't used yet.:)

I had two internships w/ the nrcs in college. We inspected every contract under 5 years old. Each got inspected & re inspected until a final sign off was given. Then left alone til expiration, unless complaints were received. FSA side of the office dealt w/ sign ups, we dealt with installation & maintenance. Planted a ton of buffer strips & a bunch of native seedings at the time. W/O college interns nothing was getting inspected that I saw, unless it was right next to a major highway!

Sounds like things have changed, musta got more interns!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the responses. I met with the NRCS rep on Friday. I pushed him about the tree removal and he said it would need to be removed unfortunately if I wanted the CP25 program. He said a few years ago they would have let it slip, but they are being much more strict now. He also said that a "permanent" tower blind is not allowed in CRP, he said a blind on a trailer or wagon is allowed, but not on a fixed tower.

Fields, an intern did one county. He was a great guy and I hope he landed somewhere. Whoever got him in their office got a good one.

smithhunter, what that guy told you sounds like what the people said in both counties. There evidently is a new sheriff in town.

Top Bottom