Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crackerized #2

Jethro

Well guys & gals I finally got my Switchback back Friday night from Cracker. All I can say is WOW! He did an absolutely awesome job on it. Here is what was done; New custom built string & cable set, New QAD Ultra Rest an STS and Crackerized. Before he started on it he chronographed it at 269 FPS after he was done it was shooting 276 FPS. My draw length was off by ¼” and now it is exactly 27.5”. I was really surprised what a ¼” difference feels like at full draw. My lean and timing was off, not bad but it was off. He said the timing was off worse than the lean. Just so you know I bought this bow brand new at the end of March. Just goes to show you how factory specs aren’t always what they seem. Limb you wanted an unbiased opinion and I’m sure Rudd will back me on this but IMO it is well worth the wait and money. I can definitely tell a difference in the way it shoots. I would highly recommend it if you want to go that extra step in your archery set-up. Here are some pics of the final product: The third pic is a robin hood I did last night with it shooting from my 30 yard tree stand station.

496IMG_0046-med.JPG

496IMG_0052-med.JPG

496DSC00391-med.JPG

waytogo.gif

a 30yd robinhood from an elevated stand will sure make your confidence level rise.

Rudd, Whether you call it luck or skill (more luck I think) it sure is fun to be able to stack them in there. And yes it does give you a feeling of confidence. Although somedays the confidence level is better than others.

Dirtball, as far as the STS I can definatley tell a difference in noise and hand shock. I would never be without one again.

Hey Jethro,
How long did it take to get it done? Is it pricey? Not trying to be nosey, but I am very interested in seeing what he can do. Thanks!

Gold Tip,
The cost for string just for the Switchback is $80, if you give him a week notice by phone he will put you on the preference list because you will be driving down. Then when you stop in he will put on the string right there and then for you. That is what I did and will be making a trip down the 7th of July because he is gone this week. He is a awesome guy to deal with even though I have only met him on the phone. All you have to do is go to his website tell him you are going to want that done and give him the string color you want from the BCY website and color of serving. If you have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask.

String looks sharp! I just can't get used to that darned Mathews grip though! After shooting Mathews for 9 years, I switched to a Darton and like it better! That Mathews is a sweet shooter though!

I second that ..... Welcome Mike !!! We are hearing a lot of great things about your work here
waytogo.gif

Just received my first crackerized bow and my gosh what a difference, Mike is a absolute genious on bow tuning and setting up bows. He is absolutety the most down to earth guy I have ever worked with. He is so good I just bought a Bowtech Allegiance off of him also
grin.gif
I would recommend the shipping or the drive down to see him even more just to pick his brain. My buddy and I were at this shop for 9 hrs and I was in shock on the amount of knowledge he has. He took my Switchback (which was out of whack and it is only 9 months old) and has me shooting better then I ever have. That is because he also told me a certain place in West Des Moines fitted me with a bow that is to small for me. That was great news and not so great news at the same time. I was 2 inches off on my draw length. Both of these bows will be on display at the Shed Conference so you can see his work.

Also welcome to the site Mike! Looks like the curiousity of me telling you about this site got to you and that is good!
Steve Conner

That a boy Mike. I new you'd show up here eventually. Welcome to the sight from the other "Iowa flyboy".
waytogo.gif

Yea we like to keep the thugs out for a day or two before we turn them loose...
evil.gif

Expect a call soon Mike, I can't take it anymore...
grin.gif

Hey Crackers,
Since we have you online now maybe you wouldnt mind anwsering a question for me. I hear guys talking about the timing on Mathews bows but I guess I must be missing something. I know they have the timing holes on the cam but are they really there for timing issues? It was my understanding that the timing holes are meerly there to establish the draw length of the bow. So when the holes are parallel to the string, that is where the true drawlength of the bow is. I have seen alot of guys adjust the cam, either a little over or under rotated, to adjust the draw length slightly. When I think of timing it is between one thing and another thing. Like between your arrow and a dropaway rest. With a solocam bow, is there really anything that you can "time"?

That could be true if every thing else was perfect. Cam rotation (timing) on a single cam bow is very important as to control the nock travel. If the cam is under rotated tuning will became very difficult-performance weak-loss of let off. Over rotate the bow becomes nosy-to much let off-harder to set rest timing. All this applies to all single cams and todays cam designs are made to preform best set this way and were not made for the draw length tweaker. On most systems today playing with strings and cables to set these so called 1/8-1/4 ect...draw lengths take away from the true preformance levels of these bows.

With all the release options we have and the use of d-loops it's easy to adjust to get the right feel. So many people don't even realize that their bows are not even set to the correct AMO draw length to start with so this leads many to think they have these different draw lengths.

Top Bottom