Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cranky - my first

Gladiator

PMA Member
Well - my hunting partner, Caleb, got us on some new property (turkey only) literally 5 minutes from my house..... :way: And another landowner allowed us to hunt another place close to home for some turks. :way: (for those that have young kids and wives, you know how important this is) ;)

Caleb headed out right away to his property and yesterday I get a text with a dead turkey in it.....go figure. He's a turkey chasing monster! He chased the thing clear around the farm and finally snuck up to it and thought it was gone....actually it was 5 feet away on the other side of a dirt pile! :D So, when it took off, he shot him running. :D He's a ninja on his feet ladies and gentlemen!

I get out about once a year, and today we head to my new place and check it out - to hear about 80 trillion gobbles - all across the river :rolleyes: We went and asked permission but choked in the open net...no dice.

So, we head back to Caleb's farm with my "fan on a stick." I took one of my fans and put it on a croquet stick...colored rings and all. Caleb was nervous about the rings....I was only nervous about fending them off....should we see one.

We circled the property and saw one hen.......until on the way out I spotted a couple in the bottom where we walked in. Not sure how we missed them, but we did; and they missed us. There were 3-4 toms with some hens.

Quick belly crawl found them heading through a timbered finger. We backed out and went to cut them off..... Got set up on the other side and sat for 5 minutes. Caleb said, "crawl to the top of that ridge - you've always wanted to do it with the fan."

So, I crawled to the top and met up with the lead turkey - a feisty 2-yr old bird we'll call "Cranky." He raised his head about 150 yds out and started at my fan....I peeked around and stared at him........and he charged. He did the "mean run" for 100 yards and I stuck the croquet stick in the ground and steadied the gun. Caleb was looking on. He got to about 30 and all I could see was his red coloring. His whole head turned red...and he wasn't stopping. I actually got nervous and did a "panic shot" when he was just inside 30. I think he would have stomped my head....well, until he dropped in his tracks. :way:

One of the funnest hunts I've been on and my first with a gun and "fan on a stick." Intense, and I'm not sure I want to do it any other way now! :lol:

Thanks to the good Lord for an incredible harvest and for some amazing smoked turkey breast! :thankYou:

Typical 2 year old bird - 3/4" inch spurs give it away...man, he'll be good eating!

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

That is great! I can't believe he committed with that striped tube sock on your decoy stake! :) One I'm sure you won't forget!

Top Bottom