Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

crappy feeling!!

patch86

I shot a doe opening night. Told my self I was only Buck hunting the rest of the season. Anyways I had another doe tag. Had a nice fat doe at 25 yards this morning. Slightly quartering too. I looked the shot over very well and decided in was a shot I could easily make. Made the short, looking great. Doe stood at 50 yards out and finally walked off. Tracked her 100 yards and the blood stoped. I been in the woods from 2 til just now. Nothing! Its a terrible feeling. I almost feel like putting the bow down awhile. I know that's not the answers but I hate this feeling. No idea what went wrong. Ill be heading out tomorrow to again start a search. Just felt like ranting some. Any advice?

I know the feeling, but you have to stay positive. Yes, it sucks, and any decent hunter hates wounding game, but it happens to the best of us... even the pro hunters. There are plenty more does out there. Arrow must have missed vitals. Keep hunting. If you arent confident in your shooting, take a day or two off from hunting and practice. A bow hunter is useless without confidence.

No idea what went wrong. Ill be heading out tomorrow to again start a search. Just felt like ranting some. Any advice?

Well slightly quartering toward you at 25 yards could have hit shoulder or rib and got a skip off of that. Or the angle was a bit more severe and you got guts, which is my guess if she went out and stopped. I have seen that before; they dont get hit in a heavy muscled or vital area so it pry hurts like hell, but no "impact" to scare the hell out of them to run off at mach 80.

No to sound arrogant but I'm actually very confident in my shooting. I shoot atleast twice a week all summer. Maybe I just misjudged my angle. Idk. All I know is its a bad feeling.

patch86 said:
No to sound arrogant but I'm actually very confident in my shooting. I shoot atleast twice a week all summer. Maybe I just misjudged my angle. Idk. All I know is its a bad feeling.

You can shoot 500 arrows a week your still going to mess up. Its hunting, just try and work through it.

Based on the angle it's almost a guarantee you got some intestines, and based on her. reaction it sounds like it as well. If you did then she's down somewhere although the sign we very difficult to find. It does happen and I commend you for feeling bad about it and that you keep trying.. good luck!

I am not sure if it's because of the EHD deaths BUT... The birds are out like crazy on deer, so are coyotes. 2 deer in a row I tracked in AM were absolutely ravaged. I think vultures, crows, etc are going crazy right now. They found these so fast it was spooky & for the 1st time in a long time, I tracked deer based on bird sightings vs a blood trail.

Top Bottom