Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

crazy coyote

6x6

PMA Member
A 20 year old kid was turkey hunting yesterday on my neighbors. While sitting and working the call a coyote charged in from behind and chomped into his arm that was moving to work the call. Coyote bolted when he figured out what he had, but scared the crap out of the kid. Good thing it was'nt one of the big male bobcats I have pics of in my album. Anyone else have anything like that happen? I have had coyotes and bobcats go for the decoys, but the only thing thats gone for me was a horned owl that could only see my eyes thru my facemask while 28 feet up in a tree. Checked me out from a limb, then dove into my face.

I had a 'yote come right up to me the other day while Turkey hunting I thought he was going to attack the blind.

Several years ago I was spring turkey hunting in an area that I was very familiar with and I had previously used a shovel to scoop out some dirt in a berm to form sort of a half a fox hole that I would then use to hide in. This way I could peer over the top of the back side of the berm to spy a big field behind me. I was basically at eye level with the back side of this hiding spot.

I had a coyote come up behind me once and it was just about a foot away from coming into that little dugout with me! I turned just in time to see it skid to a stop and we were almost literally nose to nose for a split second until he turned himself inside out getting out of there. It gave me quite a start too! :eek: Had I not turned when I did I suppose I would felt him when he jumped on my head!!

I've had a coyote attack the decoys a couple of years ago. He pounced the one but realized pretty quick that it wasn't the taste he was after and hightailed out of there. The year after a friend of mine was turkey hunting with me and he had to use deadly force on the yote. The yote didn't make it back to his den. Luckily your neighbors friend is fine.

A good friend of mine and his son and I were out shed hunting this year while snow was still on, and his son had a coyote come up within feet of him growling and getting ready to pounce. The kid hit the coyote with a stick and it ran off. Went over and looked at the tracks in the snow, and the coyote was literly feet away from him.

A good friend of mine and his son and I were out shed hunting this year while snow was still on, and his son had a coyote come up within feet of him growling and getting ready to pounce. The kid hit the coyote with a stick and it ran off. Went over and looked at the tracks in the snow, and the coyote was literly feet away from him.
WOW that is pretty scarry! How young was the kid?
I was bow hunting once, sitting on the ground on the edge of a woods looking out into a clover field. I saw a yote on the other side of the field pouncing and hunting in the clover. He did this for about 20 minutes and worked his way to my side of the field. He was about 100yds away so I figured I'd try to call him in.
I set my 1 adjustable pin for 30yds because there is no way I'd get him in any closer than that! Drew my bow and made a few rabbit distress sounds.
The big yote locked onto me and charged!
He closed the 100yds in no time! He blew right by my 30yd mark at full speed and seemed to be looking right into my eyes as he charged! At 5yds I aimed for his head and pulled the trigger in self defense! The shot flew just high:thrwrck: and the yote just about crashed into me as he reversed coarse as fast as he came in!

Coyotes are oppurtunistic animals. They are always looking for an easy meal, I believe a coyote with out rambies would attack a human if they figured it was an easy meal or they thought you were something else. What is really scary is when they form a pack similar to wolves. Ive seen a group of 4 yotes take down an adult doe one time while shotgun hunting, kind of a scary thing if you think about it.

It's funny that I just came across this post after what happened to me this morning. I got up into my blind, and I set up the decoys. One of the decoys I have is a hard plastic one. I was sitting right in front of a ground spring area, so anything that walks past, I can hear it as it makes a small splashing sound, like walking through a puddle. Anyway, it was too dark yet to see anything, and I heard something come running across the wet spot and I can here it hit my decoy. It made quite the sound. I'm guessing that it was a yote, but I guess I will never know! I did have one attack my decoy last year, but I wasn't as scared as I was this morning. It had the hair on the back of my neck stand on end!

Top Bottom