Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crazy Hunt

Liv4Rut

I wanted to share my crazy hunt from yesterday morning because it is probably once in a lifetime for me. To make a long story short, I was trailing a doe that I had hit poorly in the morning due to hitting a limb I hadn't seen. I was coming up on a ridge and a big creek bottom that I thought would offer me a follow up shot.

About half way up the ridge I decided I would give her about 20 minutes to either bed up or slow down. So there I sat. All the sudden I see a huge coyote come over the ridge running right at me with his nose to the ground. He got about 20 yards away swung on a dime and right back down the same trail. It took me about a second to realize he was on my doe trail and he finally figured out which way she was heading. I thought to myself great, I will never get this doe now. The blood trail was finally down to specks, but she was dragging a leg and the coyotes tracks were in hers. So I continued to follow them. I crested the ridge and sat there about 5 minutes scanning my surroundings. This area is nothing but multiflora rose and pines so I can't see far at all.

All the sudden I hear BAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAA and all of this commotion down by the creek about 150 yards away. I knew it was the doe but didn't know what the heck was going on. I picked up the pace and rushed quietly down to the creek edge next to this huge cottonwood. I sat there about 5 minutes listening and couldn't hear nothing. I thought to myself great. All of the sudden I see 5 or 6 does and a big buck coming quartering to me. I sneak up about 30 yards but couldn't get a shot. I sat there looking up the hill and all the sudden something caught my eye.

I looked over and in disbelief about 50 yards away was my doe bedded down fully alive with the big coyote eating out her back end. I was like holy crap. He was going to town on her and I didn't have a shot. I snuck about 20 yards back down the creek line and finally got a good shot at the doe and dropped her instantly. The coyote took off over the hill.

After crossing the creek I had found where the attack took place. There was about a 30 foot circle of hair and blood where the coyote had gotten her and finally gotten her down. I had hit her in the ham and broke her back hip. I was suprised at how much he had eaten in that short time. He had about a soft ball hole size out of her behind.

I thought it was neat hunt and had to share it. I doubt I will ever have that happen again. :drink2:

Last edited:
That's awesome, def dont get to see that everyday. Just curious though did you keep the doe and do you plan on eating her. I was under the idea that coyotes were similiar to us in the sence that once they tear into something the bacteria in their teeth immediately starts breaking down the tissue. The bacteria from his mucous could make you very sick.

Them yotes are brutal. It is life in the wild world and I am sure that happens more often than we realize. I might have taken a shot at that yote before the doe...chances are if she was letting him eat while she was bedded, she would have stuck around for a followup shot

We aren't sure what we are going to do with the doe yet, she is hanging in the barn. At the time, I didn't even think to shoot the coyote. I guess I kind of figured if something was eating me alive, I would probably want the bullet first. :)

Awesome story! Coyotes are amazing intelligent critters.
I personally wouldn't eat the meat, unless I was starving, which I am clearly not! Why chance it. I once helped a college roomate butcher a deer where his dog ate some of the hindquarters. I wouldn't touch the meat. I told him to get rid of the carcass, but he thought it would be fine to eat. He cooked some for some of our roomates and they all got sick. Not sure if the dog eating the meat or the hanging in a tree for week in warm temperatures caused them get sick. I am guessing it had more to do with how the deer was cared for than the dog.
If you do decide to eat it, I wouldn't be making it medium rare.

Great story! I had a similar experience yesterday also. we trudged into a section that was holding some deer that was out of site from any road. Well we get in there and notice 400 yards away a dark spot on top of a hilltop that wasnt there the day before. It looked like a big dirt pile through the binos so we kept on. Then my buddy taps me on the shoulder to show me a yote standing in the field close to this dark spot. He circles down wind and approaches the spot, when all of a sudden i c a head raise of a doe. This yote thought he was getting a all you can eat buffett but boy was he wrong! They have about a 30 second stand off at a mere 3 ft apart then the doe had enough. She charged him full bore and rolled the dog. then she turned on a dime and continued to stomp the living hell out of him. The snow depth in my area is aproaching a solid 2 ft, so he had a hell getting away. He finally got some ground and high tailed it outta there. It was an awesome experience Minus the -15 temps and 2 ft of snow!

Amazing story. If it were me, I wouldn't eat the doe though. Just not worth the risk...

NWBuck

That is kinda a sad story. I guess I am getting soft in my old age. That is life, and I am glad you were able to put her out of her misery. Cool how everything pans out.

Very cool story!:way: To have a video camera with some of the things that we see would be amazing. Several years ago while shed hunting I watched three coyotes trying to take down a wounded doe. One would bite her nose, another her tail, the other where ever he could grab. She was able to stay upright most of the time. There were other deer darting in and out as if trying to get the courage to help her. Eventually they caught my scent and fled. The deer ran the other way.

Non hunters have no idea what great experiences they are missing out on!:rolleyes:

Neat story for sure. I love this part of our sport. You never know what you will experience next.

Top Bottom