Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRITICAL- READ NOW!!!! Iowa BUCKS- New LAW!!!

bowmaker has consistently made excellent points. Thankfully there's always a hand full of people who speak up and folks out there like IBA.

I still think some other forces against these folks are growing- insurance companies, SOME NR's that want to change the rules (many don't because they think IA is awesome now and don't want it to go down!), non-hunters who don't "get it", many farmers who don't do what's best for their land & deer population (lack of knowledge with some), poachers, folks that care about MONEY over anything else, etc, etc. More people better speak up now and get involved because these problems are increasing, do it before it's too late!!!

Some of this may be a repeat about what has allready been said but I do have some new information. I attended a Forestry Field Day and the Yellow River forest in NE Iowa yesterday. One of the topics of discussion was the "New" deer depradation program. From what I gathered there are 2 programs Shooting Permits and depradation tags. The shooting permits are 2$ to cover the ELSE program and the HUSH program and can be used from July to Sept. 15. It is legal to take the animal with any legal weapon that can be used in your county for regular hunting seasons. The deer can also be taken at night as long as there is no artificial light being used. Either sex deer can be taken with these tags but the antlers are supposed to be turned over to the DNR. The depradation tags can be obtained by proving you have over $1000 of damage to your property. New for this year they have added a system for timber damage so you do not just have to have crop damage to get these tags. The depradation tags are $12 dollars. The first step to get any of these tags is to call the person in charge for your area which I will list below. If you have any questions these would be the people to contact.

Ross Ellingson is the lead guy from my understanding.

Northeast Iowa Ross Ellingson 563-929-6001
Southeast Iowa Greg Harris 319-330-5578
Central Iowa Bill Bunger 515-975-8318
Northwest Iowa Maury Muhm 712-320-0611
Southwest Iowa Casey Trine 712-250-4436

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowmaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There is still no answer to the questions I have asked over and over. How many deer do we have in Iowa, how many do we want to keep, and how many do we need to kill to get there? Why is it so difficult to get a few answers?
</div></div>

You answered your last question with your first sentence: there is no answer. Well, actually there is an answer, but it varies by who you ask. Just read the comments posted about this Motorcycle hits deer article. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't the good people on here get it that most of these farmers or others involved with these programs would just as soon have all the deer gone from their fields? </div></div>

Yep...I get it...been gettin it for along time.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

The Farm Bureau has long lobbied to at some point have "open season" year around and some legislators have openly said "the only good deer is a dead deer".

This is only the tip of the iceberg as they continually lobby for anything that appears to give " them" the edge in controlling deer (their thoughts...not mine)

I have attended meetings whenever I can but often work gets in the way as with the last meeting. If few people show up or only farmers...then what are they (those in power/control) to think?

Powerful farm and insurance lobbies pour money into political campaigns so if it is me (landowner, hunter etc.) versus farmers who help put them in office and often are neighbors with...who are they going to listen too??

It's easy to point our fingers at the IDNR but they don't have total control nor do they write all the laws. The DNR is a whole series of people and committees who's boss must answer to the Governor and legislative arm....making it complicated at best.

I'm just as angry about this as anyone else but other then supporting the IBA, attending meetings when I can and contacting my legislators...I'm at a loss as to how to change this situation.

I do see farms with 30 deer in a soybean field so there are problems. If I chose to farm one of my farms rather then leave it in CRP...I would be forced to get all the depradation permits they could give me and shoot til the barrel melted...it's not just bad...it's unreal it's so bad.

Shooting bucks makes no sense to me however but how to change something like that...I don't know....

I know that shooting deer off from tractors, combines and out truck windows with high powered rifles has been going on for as long as I can remember...with or without depradation permits....but whitetails are pretty adaptable creatures and depsite it all they survive.

I'm not personally aware of anyone shooting with permits in or around either of my farms and despite best efforts to have "open season" on them I have not seen a reduction in deer numbers.

Having said all that...if someone can tell me exactly who to call or contact that will actually have a positive impact on changing this situation...please...let me know............

dbltree, I'd recommend calling Matt Rush with the DNR- his # is on page 1. He's very involved with this and could give you more insight on how best to get involved. A select few phone calls from folks like you would be fine. If you do, please post your thoughts/findings. (I spoke with him a few days ago). thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dbltree, I'd recommend calling Matt Rush with the DNR- his # is on page 1. He's very involved with this and could give you more insight on how best to get involved. A select few phone calls from folks like you would be fine. If you do, please post your thoughts/findings. (I spoke with him a few days ago). thanks </div></div>

I'm just thinking we need to a whole lot higher up the ladder (no offense to Matt but this is a a busy time of year for CO's)

I'd sure like to hear Willies thoughts on this...

[email protected] (Wildlife Research Leader) 515 281-4815

[email protected] (IDNR Director) 515/281-5385

Farmers regard them as nothing more then vermin and it's going to be a tough sell to get this changed IMO... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I do think we should clarify this a little (unless I'm missing something) these are NOT depredationpermits but rather are shooting permits, which are only issued in very severe situations.

They are issued at the disgression of the biologists working that area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 17pt'>What is the difference between depredation licenses and shooting permits?</span>

1. Depredation licenses.

Depredation licenses are issued to individual hunters who have permission to hunt on the landowner’s property.

These licenses are issued for a specific season and will be valid for antlerless deer only. They cost the same as other antlerless deer licenses, $12 each.

If the producer signs a depredation agreement they will receive a set of authorization numbers for their property. Each authorization number allows a hunter to purchase an antlerless license which will be valid on the producer’s land.

The depredation licenses may also be used on adjacent land if the adjacent landowner gives the hunter permission. Hunters may obtain up to three depredation licenses initially.

If they harvest a deer they can obtain one additional license for each deer taken. They will need to get an authorization number from the producer for each additional license.

2. Shooting permits.

Shooting permits are issued to landowners or their designees in situations where substantial
damage is occurring before a hunting season opens and action needs to be taken immediately.

These permits are issued for a specific length of time and can only be used outside of the hunting season. These permits may be issued for either sex of deer depending upon the type of damage being done.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Antlered deer may need to be killed to prevent damage even though this will not control the population. </span>

Producers will however be encouraged to use the shooting permits for antlerless deer.

All deer killed must be recovered and the meat processed for consumption. The landowner or his designee may keep the meat or
they can donate the deer to a HUSH locker.

The producer should check with the locker to make arrangements to take deer outside of the hunting season.

All antlers from deer taken using these permits will be turned over to a DNR officer and disposed of according to DNR rules.

There is a $2 fee ($1 for
HUSH and $1 writing fee) for these permits </div></div>

You can read the whole thing by clicking on this link: Wildlife Damage and then open the Wildlife Damage Management - Options for Producers PDF file.

I think it will clarify some questions........

Just curious... I am an IBA member, I was not at the meeting. Were there any IBA members or representatives at this meeting?

The conflict between those that see deer as beautiful creatures to watch and harvest for food, and those that see them as "Big Rats", that eat their prize plants or lower their income,and get in the way of their vehicles, will never end.Money talks, loudest and we,,of the hunting community are in the minority.

Top Bottom