Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Crooked" is down...

I was able to harvest a deer this past weekend (Saturday Nov. 6th) that has become very familiar on my farm this year. I've posted several videos of him on here, hes a typical 9 that several said I should try to let walk....but Saturday I was able to get an opportunity at him and knew that he would be my best buck to date, so I decided to deflate him. I'm extremely happy with him and how everything worked out. With playing a college sport, its not easy to get a lot of time in the woods, but with what I've gotten I've definitely made use of. He's deer number 6 on the year for me already (4 does, a small spike...TINY spikes, I honestly thought it was a doe at 41 yards..., and him). Its been a dream season in the time I've had so far, and not to mention 2 fall turkeys as well with the scatter gun.

Heres the story:

As mentioned, he became very familiar with the area that I had been hunting. Showed up on camera both in videos and pictures....he earned the name "Crooked" from his main beam that curves up. After several sits in this stand...I've never seen him, but he had been on his feet several times in the day, I have the pics and videos to prove it. Saturday morning rolls around and I'm back in the stand. 7:45 I have a little one stroll through, who is very nervous. Scanned around the area...nothing. He moves off. 8:30 starts to roll around and I'm starting to get a little ancy..ADHD isn't a great thing to have in the stand. At 9 I see movement on the far ridge, where I catch 4 bodies coming down. Thats when I catch antlers as the second deer and they are headed my way FAST. I grabbed my bow and stood up...as he starts to come up the hill he and the doe hes chasing stop and get a little nervous. She actually starts to head the total opposite way...I get to thinking "crap...I messed this one up somehow."

As he turns to continue chasing her, she runs back my way past him and by me at 20 yards. I know this is the golden ticket to him committing. He takes a trail to try to cut her off that leads him 35 yards from me. I merped at him 3 times...with the 3rd one basically yelling to get him to stop. I released the arrow and watched the Muzzy 100 gr eat....he takes off immediately..and the last sight I see of him is hes headed down the next ravine and his butt bounces off a tree as hes headed down. I knew I had smoked him, and by him bouncing off trees already just reassured that. It happened so fast...all I knew was that he was a shooter, wasn't sure what deer he was or if I even had prior knowledge of him.

I called my dad who was at the farm house not feeling well and told him to get dressed and come help me track...I knew that just waiting for him was going to take 45 minutes...a good time to relax and make sure he was down. I could see the doe he was with on the other ridge looking into the bottoms, full alert and stomping. So I had a really good idea he was down in there. As my dad got there I went to the shot sight and found my arrow and saw blood sprayed ALL OVER the tree he was standing next too....knew it was a double lung hit for sure. 100 yards later I had him in hand and realized it was "Crooked". Grossed out at 146 5/8"...my third P&Y buck in 3 years...and my best deer to date gun or bow.

8 days before....but hadn't seen him on camera since...

74837_524815839079_138801477_31000365_7394535_n.jpg

and video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdZ4K5kMnCg&NR=1

Hero shots

76901_524750250519_138801477_30999005_1048732_n.jpg

149925_524751143729_138801477_30999050_8343075_n.jpg

Awesome story and deer. Good for you and Congrats on taking the animal you wanted. That is an accomplishment!
Eyad

awesome...I've had to yell at them before too. They can be completely oblivious at times.

Way to get it done. :way:

Top Bottom