Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crops coming out???

fireman

I'll be coming to your fine state the first week of Nov, to SW Iowa, Taylor, Page and Montgomery Counties....Are the crops coming out of the fields up there? Here in Mid Missouri, we're a wee bit behind schedule, due to all the rains. I'm hoping they'll at least have a good part of the corn out before I make the trip, either way, I'll be there!!!
Thanks!!!:drink2:

Raining in pretty much the entire state of Iowa today.

http://gazetteonline.com/local-news/2009/10/21/harvest-may-finish-even-later-than-last-year

Harvest may finish even later than last year

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 by David DeWitte.
Last year’s harvest delays may seem like the good old days to farmers by the time this year’s harvest is over.
The Iowa soybean harvest is running more than two weeks behind the five-year average, according to the weekly crop report from the National Agricultural Statistical Service.
As of last weekend, the number of acres harvested was 41 percentage points behind the same weekend last year.
The corn harvest is running 2 percentage points behind last year and is about two weeks behind the five-year average, the report said.
Last year’s harvest was also late, because of late flooding that delayed planting in many parts of Iowa and forced farmers to replant some fields.
This year’s crop went in earlier but has matured very slowly because of uncharacteristically cool temperatures throughout the summer.
“We are having one of the most challenging harvests in decades,” Iowa Secretary of Agricultural and Bill Northey said.
In addition, an uncharacteristically cool, wet fall means the moisture content of corn is running high. The moisture content of corn being harvested is estimated at 23 percent, which is five percentage points above average.
That will increase the crop’s cost, because farmers will have to burn more propane drying down their harvest.
The weather hasn’t been much help either. Only two days of the past week were suitable for field work, and temperatures remained unusually cold. The average temperature for the week was 10.8 degrees below normal.
After Monday’s bright sunny weather, the rest of the week doesn’t promise much in the way of improved harvest conditions for farmers, with rain or showers in the Cedar Rapids area forecast through Friday.

I live in the next county over to the east of Taylor county (Ringgold) and we have been in the field for a total of 2 days so far, it has been raining almost all week and last week wasn't the driest. It will be a miracle if we get the crops out before Thanksgiving. Plan on a lot of standing corn.

Good Luck

Farmers in SE Iowa and West Illinois say they may be shelling corn now after the ground freezes...may be December at best for the harvest

Top Bottom