Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

crops

jerred44

At what point will the farmers know if their crops are done, due to the lack of rain? like in Illionis and Iowa there hasnt been any rain and none in the forseeable future. when does a farmer know that his crops wont make it?

I am no farmer but my family does share-crop a 160 and from the conversations I have been overhearing, farmers will be scrutinizing ear development in cornfields in the coming weeks very very closely.

We've had just over 5 inches of rain here in the last 3 months TOTAL. Most the counties around us are also dry but not quite as bad - they have received 9 inches in same time frame. We should have well over a foot of rain just to be at normal. It is most definitely hurting the crops and yield potential is already cut by 30% or more - could be 100% loss if we don't get measurable rain soon.

Drove back up I-63 today. Made me sick. From Ottumwa,Eddyville,Pella,,looks like corn dry down time in Sept! Brown dieing corn,,all I saw. Once you get near DesMOines,,I-80, much better. I-80 and north most always gets some jet stream action, from Minn at the peak of summer. further south alot less. This summer extreme! I work and take care of In-laws north of DesMoines,Boone area. Can you believe we have gotten 3 T-Stroms in the past two wks! Two just this past week. Gully washers too. Park I mow at,mower is sliding in mud! I have been doing this,,driving down I=63 and back to my land in Wapello Co. for the past 8 yrs and I can tell you,,the closer to I-80 you get, and especially north of DesMoines,,the better for summer rains. Tragedy the farm land is gettin eaten by suburbs cause it definately rains more in the summer. Another glitch this summer, is the rain that keeps forming down in NE MO and heads up across VanBuren CO and east. Nice deluge over there two wks ago aND low and behold did exactly the same thing Friday afternoon. I am too far west. My land looks like Phoenix AZ, where I visited back in March. Iowa is not supposed to look like this. Will be odd hunting season around me. No corn,no beans,,no food plots. Farmers can't blame the deer for eating their corn this year. Will be more like MI hunting,,only natural browse,,actually,,at this rate,,that may be gone too.

Top Bottom