Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbow Hunting.....

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
In the midst of all the controversial discussion, i thought a different debate might be in order.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif ...... and since it is kinda slow around here /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

currently a disabled archer can hunt in Iowa, during the regular bow sesaon, with a crossbow! i think that is great thing as it allows them to get out and enjoy the hunt.

now, i am not, whatsoever, proposing a seperate crossbow season!

However, i have always been fascinated by crossbows and would like to kill a couple deer with one.

Since during late muzzleloader season you can fill that tag with a bow or pistol, why not make a crossbow a legal weapon for that season as well?

again, im not implying a new SEPERATE season for crossbow hunting, but rather an option for late season hunters who fill that tag with other methods, such as a pistol or bow rather than a muzzleloader.

another way to phrase the question......
should a crossbow be a legal means of take for the late muzzleloader season in addition to the pistol and regular bow?

what are your thoughts??

You bet. Several other states have seasons where crossbows are legal. If we are going ot have one in Iowa, that would be the season to put it in.

This topic keeps reappearing ever so ofton too. It is hotly debated like the Non-res topic. You would be surprised how many crossBow fanatics there are that are not handicapped. In states that have made them acceptable during the reg bow season, there has been no major impact on the deer herds, or overall kills. There are those that want bows to be "Pure". CrossBows are too easy,,to some compound,gadgetry, is making things too easy. The ole stick and string only,,, is what they would like to see. A bow and arrow is a bow and arrow. Each kind has limiting factors. the object to hunting is a quick clean kill,,within reason,,Star trek lazer weapons should not be allowed. I for one ,have no problem with CrossBows. They are an Ancient Weapon.

If you are going to have it, during the muzzy seasons would be a good choice. I think the regs are good as is however, you give an inch and the mile will be taken eventually and I don't think anyone wants to see crossbows during the entire bow season. I have read the studies that it hasn't impacted the deer herd in states that allow it, but I don't believe it for a second. Being able to shoot a mature buck in rut at 70yds would definitely put a hurtin on the number of big boys that make it through each year.

Kratz

shootin' a running deer @ 70 yards with a crossbow???

can you do that??? id be scared as heck to shoot at anything standing still over 50 yds with one anyways, let alone running..... Sheesh!

Though I love a good debate, I laughed out loud when I seen this topic......like we don't have enough controversy at the moment.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You would be surprised how many crossBow fanatics there are that are not handicapped.</div></div>

You'd be suprised how many people claim a shoulder handicap so there doctor signs off! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Some will do anything just to make it easier....

not argue Jarin...... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

but if the same tag is issued, i.e. late muzz, how can the population be affected negatively at all, especially with muzz's being a much more efficient weapon than a cross bow.

im not saying give crossbow hunters a specific season, or especially lump them in during regular bow season, all im suggesting is making it a weapon of choice during the late muzz season.

Pistols are allowed, but i dont foresee a seperate pistol season taking place......

just a thought
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I don't argue that crossbows shouldn't be allowed during a gun season like your late muzzleloader season.

Here in ND you have to have a permit to use one like you do there in Iowa. During our Rifle season, you can use any weapon be it bow, muzzleloader, pistol or shotgun to fill your tag besides a rifle. They don't allow crossbows during the rifle season which doesn't make sense to me. I can shoot the deer with any other weapon under the sun, why not a crossbow?

As far as using them during the regular bow season without a handicapped permit I am totally against it. As far as I am conserned a crossbow is much more like a gun then a bow. If you don't have to draw it in the presence of game then it is not a bow. Within reasonable distance I don't think it is much harder to shoot a deer with a scoped crossbow then with with a scoped gun.

The whole challenge to archery hunting is having to draw your bow in the presence of game, if you eliminate that challenge it really takes away from the thrill of the hunt in my opinion.

Might as well start a topic regarding "high fence" preserves while your at it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I would like the regulations to remain unchanged for just one year. I seems like you have to read a book each year to keep up with all the changes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might as well start a topic regarding "high fence" preserves while your at it. </div></div>

Sounds good, that will then lead into a discussion on hunting over bait!

Might as well make it the Superbowl..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

[SIGH]

serioulsy, its a good conversation......

turds....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would like the regulations to remain unchanged for just one year. I seems like you have to read a book each year to keep up with all the changes. </div></div>

Agree with you on this one Ghost. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Maybe it is just our age showing that we want things
to remain the same for just a little while before they change.

I think most archery hunters don't want to agree with this because of the fear of them being allowed during the regular archery season eventually.

I can see the reasoning behind that, because some people want things the easy way and don't care about keeping seasons the way they were originally intended.

I agree that the crossbow is an ancient weapon, but so it a catapult and I don't see anyone trying to shoot a deer with one of those. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

catapult......
hmmmmm, yes that would be interesting......

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I agree, opening the doors could possibly have long term affects...... maybe.....

and i agree it is easier than regular bow hunting, but it is most certainly harder than late muzzleloadr hunting. so having that as a late season option only usable during that particular season will have no adverse population affects, and will give hunters another option to the method of take during that season.

but maybe leaving things as are will reduce the amount of acid reflux you older gents seem to get when change is in the air.....
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I agree that a lot of changes each year would be a big pain.

We are lucky up here and our seasons stay the same for the most part.

Although I almost developed an ulcer when they decided to allow archery hunters to carry a handgun with them into the field.

I am still ticked about that one.

Catapults???... hey start your own thread.

Guys if you want to see changes, just come to Minnesota. Every year there are dozens of them. This lake you can keep fish between 14-17 inches, this lake you cannot keep anything over 18 inches this lake you can keep anything under 17 and over 26, this lake you can keep three fish under 18 and over 28. This lake you cannot fish after 10 at night, well until the third week in June, this lake you can keep two fish which have to be under 17 inches unless one is over 26 and it may or may not change next month to three fish or close altogether, and it may change again for ice fishing and on and on and on. There are more than 60 different length and possession limits on WALLEYE ALONE!

Now let's talk about the deer hunting and the amazing moving zones and number of does and the well you get the picture.

Could it be that if crossbows were allowed during the late muzzleloader/handgun season that it would severely reduce the chances that they would ever be allowed during the bow season. Seems to me it would.

Are there Ohio hunters on this site willing to comment on this? They've been shooting crossbows there for years. Opinions I've heard are mixed. Some say crossbows are a non-issue, others say lots of guys start the archery season with a bow, then switch to the crossbow during the rut, presumably to get a slight edge?

As for effective range, I've also heard a variety of opinions. Sure crossbows may be capable of longer shots, but most actual kills are at bow-like ranges.

BTW TH, I think your post is great!

And I think we should include a catapult season! Understanding, of course, that manufacturers would soon make them laser-guided or heat-seeking...at which point we could have another exciting technology debate!

Heat seeking catapults!!!!!!!

COOL!!!! im into that, now i can put my land mines away..... those tend to get messy!!!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could it be that if crossbows were allowed during the late muzzleloader/handgun season that it would severely reduce the chances that they would ever be allowed during the bow season. Seems to me it would. </div></div>

I could see this! it might be a good way to shut the mouth of those who think crossbows should be allows anytime during regular archery season! i agree!

that would make a fun video.....
id never try it as i would suck horribly at that.......

Top Bottom