Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbow season proposed

B

Blind Sow

House File 2058, introduced by Russell Eddie of Storm Lake, reads:

"This bill directs the natural resource commission to establish a separate season for taking deer with a crossbow by any deer hunting license. The bill also strikes a provision which limits the use of a crossbow to handicapped persons who are physically incapable of using a bow and arrow.

Violations of taking out-of-season and over-limit restrictions are punishable with a fine of $100. An attempt to take violation is punishable b a fine of 50."

I have no idea what constitues "a separate season". Does it mean a separate season in which the crossbow is the only legal means of take or will it "piggy-back" on some other season--shotgun, bow or muzzleloader (early or late).

It is not a hand-held, hand-drawn weapon and as such I believe it should not be legal to use during the regular bow season.

Doug Clayton

This will be a can of worms. On one hand I don't want to deny the handicapped access to this sport, but it could turn out to be an unenforceable law. What constitues a handicap? I was in Cabella's this fall and saw and older guy getting his crossbow fixed. Now maybe Wisconsin allows crossbows, but this guy didn't have any APPARENT physical handicaps maybe he had a handicapped parking sticker and that allowed him to hunt with a cross bow.

I'm glad I'm not in DNR enforcement.

The 'Bonker

This is the last thing we need. We need to put a stop to making bowhunting as easy as possible. They'll probably make a season before the youth season....the 'Velvet Crossbow Season'.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by swanny:
This is the last thing we need. We need to put a stop to making bowhunting as easy as possible. They'll probably make a season before the youth season....the 'Velvet Crossbow Season'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Be careful, I know people with disabilites and they deserve the same right as other people, beleive me, if they could trade their crossbow in to be cured, they'd be stacking them up on your front door.Put yourself in their shoes.

Apparently some people are not aware but physically handicapped individuals can get a DNR crossbow permit to use during the regular archery season. The physical handicap is related to upper arm disabiltiy. There is a certain procedure to follow.

It appears that this bill would open up the use of a crossbow for non-handicapped people. I guarantee there will be a fight if the entent of the bill is to legaize the crossbow during the regular archery deer season.

Doug

My father (currently 76 years old), has been using a crossbow for maybe almost 10 years. I got him a form from the Iowa DNR, and he had his doctor sign it to verify his bursitis was severe enough to prevent him from drawing a bow. It has been great for him, he loves to sit in his ladder stand and most years shoots his deer before it gets real cold. Bow season is one of the high points of his year. I sure hope the state does not pass some silly law preventing him, (and other physically limitted people) from enjoying our lengthy fall bow season. People handicapped (by age or otherwise) are already limitted to areas of easy access, so I hope they don't get descriminated against and get further restrictions like a shortened season too!

I wonder what this "new" law is really hoping to accomplish??? Make more people aware of the crosbow laws so more qualified people take advantage of it? Make the laws more clear ??

By the way, my opinion is that cross bows do not really shoot as good as what most people assume. I helped dad tune his, and even if they openned crossbows up to everyone I'd continue to use my regular compound.

[This message has been edited by IaCraig (edited 01-21-2002).]

Thanks for helping me out on that Blind Sow. I just assumed everyone new handicapped people could apply for a crossbow liscence.

In order to prevent this bill getting somewhere I suggest that everyone contact your legislature represenatives and voice your opinion on why you think this bill is a bad idea. As with the jeep commercial that was eliminated, so will this stupid bill. Let's put this one in the trash were it belongs.

IaCraig,

I could have written your post almost word for word! My two favorite hunting partners both use a crossbow...my dad has a similar condition to yours and now does all his hunting from the ground. The other is my brother who is a quadraplegic. I understand all of your concerns, but if a law is proposed making it illegal for either of them to continue bow hunting in Iowa I'd be the first one on the steps of the Capital with a sign in my hand. Those who can pull a bow should...plain and simple. However, any new law presents an opportunity to take these people's hunting rights away. Think about it guys...one day we all face the possibility of father time preventing us from pulling the bows we now use. Wouldn't you like to still have the chance to squeeze a few more years in hunting with children and grandchildren? Just my thoughts.

NWBuck

This whole issue is a very touchy subject. I am a physician and I have granted several people permission to use a crossbow. I have also denied many more. It is hard to determine who has a legitimate disability with just an exam. Many times MRI's, CAT scans and X-rays are involved. Usually when you tell someone that you need to have these tests run, they decide they can still pull a compound. I guess I am one of the harder Docs to get a permit from. The reason is that I have a good friend in Michigan who lost his left arm above the elbow in a car accident. He still shoots a compound with his teeth. He refuses to use a crossbow. I guess everyone views disability a different way.

I know of 2 people in the area that use crossbow.One is a real outdoorsman that is my friends dad.He started bowhunting the first year it was legal in Iowa.Thats a long time ago.He lost some fingers at work but,still used compound.But now with failing heath,he does go with crossbow.I did have the honor to hunt with him last season and told him so.He told me he was overjoyed that someone younger would want to go with a crippled up old timer.I was humbled and a little sad to see him hobble to the spot just 50 yrds. from the road.This great man lives to hunt and fish.

I don't know if I am missing something in the intent of this bill and some of the post's in reference to taking something away from the handicapped hunter. I don't think there is any section that takes away a handicapped person's right to use a crossbow. I guess the way I understand the bill is that the represenative's intention is to make the crossbow legal for anyone to use and also establish a special season to hunt. Am I understanding the intention correctly on this one Blind Sow?

Just sharing a story of mine.I'm not diosecting the bill.I hope they will leave the law just as it is now.

Here in Wisconsin the DNR slipped one in on the bowhunters.
All you have to be is 65 years old and you can use a crossbow during our bow season.
There was no big debate on this season (unlike the dove season), they just did it.
I know of 2 people that are going to get a crossbow for next season and they have never bowhunted.
I don't want to hold back a person from hunting because they have a physical handicap, but just because you turn 65 doesn't cut it.

I also have been reading some of the posts that talk about those eligible to use crossbow losing their season. There is nothing in the language that says that.

Under the current DNR regulations the only time crossbows may be used is during the regular archery season by someone possessing a DNR handicap permit.

The proposed lsgislation would open up crossbow usage to anyone who holds a deer license, in other words the use of a crossbow would not be limited to just physically handicapped individuals.

Doug

I concur with deerman. I think the law is just as it should be right now, and if this bill's intent is to increase public awareness of this option for handicapped people I am all for it. However, if this bill results in a shortened season or further restrictions for older and/or handicapped people, I am not in favor of it.

You guys had better jump on this quick. If you are wondering what kind of problems can arise talk to people from Ohio.

I'm beginning to think somebody want to sell some crossbows.A whole lot of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blind Sow:

"This bill directs the natural resource commission to establish a separate season for taking deer with a crossbow by any deer hunting license. The bill also strikes a provision which limits the use of a crossbow to handicapped persons who are physically incapable of using a bow and arrow.

Violations of taking out-of-season and over-limit restrictions are punishable with a fine of $100. An attempt to take violation is punishable b a fine of 50."

I have no idea what constitues "a separate season". Does it mean a separate season in which the crossbow is the only legal means of take or will it "piggy-back" on some other season--shotgun, bow or muzzleloader (early or late).

It is not a hand-held, hand-drawn weapon and as such I believe it should not be legal to use during the regular bow season.

Doug Clayton
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blind Sow:

Doug Clayton
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Top Bottom