Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbows?!?!? Iowa bow season?

Funny how things go sometimes. Right now I have a crossbow permit filled out and signed by my doctor. I have done a lot of research about this and just feel it is time for me to move on with this issue. My shoulders just aren't very comfortable shooting even my old recurve of 42 pounds any more and I tried shooting my compound from the early 80s. It was 60 pounds with 65 percent let off and energy wheels instead of big cams. The string loop and release and peep sight and fiber optic sight pins made it much more accurate than my recurve or long bows but still was difficult to shoot much and I couldn't get it drawn and held and shot with out bumping the sides or window frame of the portable blind I was trying to use. Because I am approaching that 65 age my wife thinks that I shouldn't be climbing trees or ladders any more, so I have to use some kind of blind.

Research has shown me that while it isn't difficult to hit targets accurately at 40 or 50 yards, that almost all crossbow hunters restrict their shots to about 30 or 35 yards much like I have done with the stickbows. The noise and twang really can cause a deer to react, just watch some videos. If crossbows were allowed I don't believe for a minute that there would be a huge influx of new hunters just because they could use a crossbow. None of the other states that allow them have experienced any of that. Just like the silly season allowing rifles to be used hunting antlerless deer didn't cause a great increase of hunters just because of the novelty of it. The same thing would happen with crossbows.

For those of you who are convinced that crossbows are evil and way to easy to use think about this. Draw locks for compound bows have been legal for several years in Iowa so why aren't people complaining about them? I personally think that compound bows that have 85% or even 90% let-off should not be used and all the modern advances in sights and releases and ultra high arrow speeds just make using a compound bow just too easy and doesn't require nearly as much practice to stay proficient as my old recurve does. If you want to shoot a 90lb bow to get more speed and energy then you should be drawing and holding 90lbs just like Fred Bear or Howard Hill did cause that is what real bow hunters did.:rolleyes:

My point is if a hunter wants or needs to use a crossbow who are we to say NO you aren't as good or ethical a bow hunter as I am with my high speed decked out compound bow. That is not the case and I would challenge any of you to put down the compound and take up a longbow to enhance your own difficulty before you pass judgement on some of us who see a need for a weapon that will give us some of the same advantages that you have over the longbow users. None of us have that right.:way:

I agree. I had to use a crossbow for a season awhile back do to a shoulder injury. They are big, awkward, loud, and do not have the distance that my compound bow has. If people are upset about them, and feel as they give someone a huge advantage over a compound bow, I dare them to pick one up and use if for a while. They kind of suck when you are used to using a compound.

But we shouldn't limit people if that is their choice that they choose to use as a weapon.

I laughed and laughed at a guy in an archery shop this past fall complaining about crossbows. Then I saw him take out his top line hoyt bow, decked out with every little thing you could imagine, and then he was bragging on how he was having 2 inch groups at 60 yards......... yet he didn't like the idea of a kid or a woman using a crossbow to get out during archery season........

DO NOT put them in during gun season. That is the worst idea I have ever heard of unless you are referring to late ml season. Have you been on Iowa's public land during shotgun season? The last thing that needs to be done is guys sitting in trees trying to kill a deer with a crossbow with slugs flying everywhere.

Why not a compromise? Make it the first 2 weeks of archery season, crossbows can be used. The idea behind it is to get more women and children hunting, the weather is milder then.

By the way, I have no intentions of buying a crossbow anytime soon.

I don't see how a guy sitting in a tree with a crossbow is any different from the guy in the tree with a gun. The hazard is the same, only the weapon is different.

I do agree that crossbows are heavy and awkward. Not something I would want to use until I had too, nor would I think it a better tool than a bow for the youth or women.

I am neutral when it comes to them being legal during the bow season. As has already been said, I doubt if the sky would fall if they were legal.

I worked in Michigan to get CrossBows legal for handicapped. There was staunch opposition from Mi-Bow Hunters Ass. even for that. I have heard all the venom, and arguements. Now they are legal for everyone for Archery Season in MI.. State after state is going that way. Been legal in Ohio for many,,yrs now. They have great trophy Hunting. CrossBows did not diminish hunting at all. Same conflict came on the scene when Recurve Hunters faced Compounds. Same hatred. I started bow hunting in those early days. Started with a Recurve. The tech nature of compounds today is ,in many ways ,superior to crossbows.Only real advantage I can see,,lack of movement. At any rate. Old compound users are looking to keep in the field.Weakening joints,eyes,muscles,,mean CrossBows are attractive. Keeping the license sales up,,attractive to DNR.The tide is rolling this way. I do not believe it will hurt Bow Season at all.Just another bow,,with an arrow. Like just another type of gun.

Honestly, I'm quite surprised by many of the answers on this thread so far. The Old IowaWhitetailer's would have been up in arms against the very thought of crossbows.

:grin:

The evolution of this community is interesting.... :grin:

I'm 100% with Nanny on this. I don't, and never have felt like crossbows would negatively impact our hunting in any way--even if they were allowed during the regular bow season. However, having said that, I don't think I'd vote in support of them if given the opportunity. But, if they did get in, the sky wouldn't fall, period.

I actually like the concept of allowing their use only during the first two or three weeks of the season, but I"m also of the belief that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I would also like to have the option to use one during late Muzz. But, correct me if I'm wrong, but is there anything in Iowa hunting code that establishes them as not a legal choice of weapon during late muzz?? I heard somewhere you could use one during late muzz...

hmmmmmm

I don't think they should throw them in . I could see a lot of people who don't bow hunt go out and getting a crossbow *bescause its cool, its a crossbow!*. Harldy practicing with it and then trying to go out and hunt. They have their place now, which is perfectly fine, for the disabled and elderly.
Some mentioned it being a great way to get kids or women to start hunting. What's wrong with just having a cheaper bow or setting the draw weight down?? Would you expect them to make the transition eventually to a recurve or compound, or do you think they'll just get use to using a crossbow and never make the switch once they are 'into hunting' now that they didn't have to start with a recurve or compound??
Crossbow hunting is not bow hunting. One of the hardest parts about bow hunting is getting to full draw on an animal or having to hold that draw until a shot opportunity is presented. Multiple times I have not been able to draw on an animal at all or got busted drawing, you arn't going to have that with a crossbow.

I will fight this forever. I have a bad taste for them as we have many deer poached by them during November in my area. .The. "bad shoulder" crew with the same liberal excuse writing doctor does enough damage I can't imagine what the consequences would be like if every bad apple could have a loaded silent weapon in their vehicle all season. If you need one I understand Like I said I have a real bad taste for them.

Last edited:
Bad taste or not. They will come. I never,,and I mean never,,, thought they would fly in Michigan. Vehement hatrid there, but they are there now. I have a friend up there, who used to say all the arguements against them. He got his old bows out last fall, after only shot gun hunting for some years. He practiced for awhile, and his back began hurting him terribly. I suggested he not hurt himself, and take advantage of the CrossBow. He is nearing 60. He now is enjoying shooting a crossbow, and looks forward to next Bow Season.

I'd prefer things stay as they are but sooner or later this change is coming. Only thing I can see happening as a result is a few more people in the woods that will pick up an xbow but not a real bow.

I will fight this forever. I have a bad taste for them as we have many deer poached by them during November in my area. .The. "bad shoulder" crew with the same liberal excuse writing doctor does enough damage I can't imagine what the consequences would be like if every bad apple could have a loaded silent weapon in their vehicle all season. If you need one I understand Like I said I have a real bad taste for them.

Finally some reason. Crossbows have no place in Iowa.

Bad taste or not. They will come. I never,,and I mean never,,, thought they would fly in Michigan. Vehement hatrid there, but they are there now. I have a friend up there, who used to say all the arguements against them. He got his old bows out last fall, after only shot gun hunting for some years. He practiced for awhile, and his back began hurting him terribly. I suggested he not hurt himself, and take advantage of the CrossBow. He is nearing 60. He now is enjoying shooting a crossbow, and looks forward to next Bow Season.

I dont know where you were in Michigan but all the hilljacks where I was from couldnt wait for crossbows. If you thought bow hunting in Michigan was a joke before them, crossbows were the nail in the coffin.

This is probably a topic I should shy away from, but then I am not the shy type. :)

I see nothing at all wrong with allowing those who want to hunt deer in Iowa with a crossbow during bow season.

I already have mine and I am just waiting for it to be legal to hunt with.:way:

picture.php

I hate poachers too. But they are already using them. Getting a "Doctor" to sign off on a permit is probably about as tough as getting one to sign off on marjiuana in California. It's already happening. Prosecuting (OK, crucifying) offenders is the answer vs. prohibiting law abiding citizens.

Seperate seasons??? Just as long as they can't hunt during MY rut and kill MY bucks.... How childish!!!

If there was a vote on it, I would vote no. What's wrong with the way it is right now? leave it for the disabled and elderly. I hunt with a good friend that has bad shoulders and he uses a crossbow, and my grandpa just had back surgery so he bought one this past year. They are good for people who can't pull back a compound or traditional bow, but IMO they shouldn't be allowed for everybody during the regular archery season.

No to crossbows, popularity of the modern bow is already getting more and more popular (the woods are already getting more and more crowded). I would rather see this trend grow instead of those who are able to shoot a bow shooting a crossbow. Just the way I feel if anyone disagrees that is fine. I have no interest in proving my point, bow season is for bows and we all know how hard it is, no shortcuts with a crossbow.

No to crossbows, popularity of the modern bow is already getting more and more popular (the woods are already getting more and more crowded). I would rather see this trend grow instead of those who are able to shoot a bow shooting a crossbow. Just the way I feel if anyone disagrees that is fine. I have no interest in proving my point, bow season is for bows and we all know how hard it is, no shortcuts with a crossbow.

I still agree!!!! I like the handicap and elderly being able to get the permit.

At present I see no harm in allowing crossbows during the entirety of archery season.
I see a lot of opposition to the use of these but I would like those of you on here who were actively bowhunting when compounds hit the scene to chime in. What was the response in pro shops to the use of compound bows? I read Tradbow magazine and from time to time someone comments on the "way back when" and how people swore compounds would ruin the sport of archery. I see a lot similarities here.

Blake, is that an AR style crossbow? I couldn't help noticing the pistol grip! That thing MUST be more lethal than regular archery tackle because it looks like something the military would use...does it have a high capacity quiver? :D:D:D

Last edited:
iabwhntr said:
Blake, is that an AR style crossbow? I couldn't help noticing the pistol grip! That thing MUST be more lethal than regular archery tackle because it looks like something military would use...does it have a high capacity quiver? :D:D:D

Ya I have looked into those. It's supposed to shoot a 6 inch group at 100 yards. Now tell me when the deer of a lifetime holds up at 90 yards you would be complaining about how awkward and clumsy a crossbow would be in the stand.

Top Bottom