Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crow Calling

isu22andy

Went out and messed around with the foxpro tonight trying to pound some crows. Could get them in and managed to kill one, just had a tough time getting them in range. Some hung up 100-200 yards out and just flew around cawing. Only had two dead ones for decoys and a black stocking hat. Played Foxpro Crow fight sound and was in full camo hidden. Advice ?

A decoy with flapping wings. We bought some electronic woodpecker decoys and painted them black works awesome. They need to see some action to commit.

I always had best luck in the mornings. My opinion crow population is way down in my area. Try an owl decoy in your spread. Good luck.

I agree with Chip, motion decoys are the trick to getting them closer. I have a "cripple crow" that is simply a 1/2 inch piece of foam cut out in the silhouette of a crow that is mounted on a decoy heart which causes it to wobble. The crows I've busted have more readily approached the cripple than the wing flapping style decoys I also have. Crowbusters.com has a forum with a boatload of information for the serious crow hunter.

I'm sure you know this but camo up and hide to the point you can't even see yourself! This is another big reason crows hang up.

What type of area are you hunting... timber, fields, or??? Ive always had my best luck in the middle of CRP type fields if you can find a couple cedar trees to hide in or next to... just never had any luck where there are big trees close for them to land in and check the area out.

I built sheet metal "wings" for one of my decoys and attached the decoy to #9 wire about 3' off the ground. The slightest breeze gets it to move. or spend more money and get the mojo crow. Put a something red on the ground amongst the crow decoys. Think of crows like Turkeys as far as your concealment and movement. They will pick you out if you move much at all or not concealed.

I love me some crow hunting! Have fun!!

Hunting everywhere, big timber, CRP, wooly ditches. The only connection we had so far was CRP in cedars coincidentally.

From what I'm hearing on the radio you need to head to DT Des Moines around the Capital building.

I have always had best luck in the mornings hunting cedar patches. Try to find an opening in the cedar patch and call them over it and blast them. They will come in low as they are looking for the action. I never had much luck out in open areas or the afternoon as well really except on crow flyways outside of ames.

Anywhere with super talls trees is never good. Just need to find a cedar area with lower cedars that are only 15-20ft tall. Also need a good crow population. They catch on quick.

Top Bottom