Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crown vetch?

[ QUOTE ]
Any good for anything besides errosion control?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wellll...IMO not really, in fact I think some are considering it an invasive.

I have used it by planting the crowns in very difficult already eroded areas and you do see it used on some highway projects.

It spreads fast and I would say it is very low on a deer's preference list and too low for upland bird cover.

Someone else might have other thoughts on it though...

Crown Vetch

Invasive Species

Johnson County IA

Mostly considered an invasive anymore. It doesn't have much "wildlife-value" and spreads through seed and Rhizomes which make it too thick for pheasants and turkey(primarily poults).

I've spent a lot of time in previous jobs attacking it with a backpack sprayer full of glyphosate.

[ QUOTE ]
'toke

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, that stuff couldn't get a fly high. Hard to roll too. Lots of sticks and stems. Not that I'd know anything about it......

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
... some are considering it an invasive.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does have a habit of taking over native prarie and choking everything else out. The Iowa DOT used to plant it along roadsides. It is pretty visible in many areas along our interstates and it is easy to see the impact on other species. If you have crown vetch I would try to kill it before it spreads.

Top Bottom