Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP is in

TimberPig

The county conservation came today and planted my CP25. I finished up cultipacking the field just before dark. Planted my firebreaks on the 7th and they are starting to come up. Now its time to sit back, wait for some rain, and sharpen my mower blades.

Anybody else putting in any new CRP this spring?

I've seen quite a few fields that have been nuked and they are getting ready to no-till drill the seed in. I frost seeded some small areas this past winter and I hope do some weed control on those in another week or so. Goldenrod is my biggest problem...that stuff never quits trying to invade
mad.gif
At least it's easy to kill with 2-4D!
waytogo.gif

If your not using weed control TP, just remember it will take a few years to get that stand rolling. Clip the weeds high (8-12")so you don't cut the new seedlings this summer and post some "progress pics"

Here's a pic of a NWSG seeding that was done late last fall. No-tilled drilled into corn stubble. Right now there is no evidence of any NWSG plants coming up...and I suspect it will be another month before there is. Even then it will be extremely difficult to tell the new seedlings from weeds. Clover and alfalfa pop up in less then a week...not so for WSG. Time and patience
smirk.gif

NWSGnewplanting1.jpg

Timberpig, I just finished my CP 25 today. I seeded 200 acres. I used a 8' drill and it took several days. I have some weeds starting to grow so I will have to start mowing in a few weeks. I just bought a JD 15' batwing so it will be a lot guicker than seeding.

RBB- All the CRP plans have a number assigned to them based on what is being planted. CP25 is Rare and Declining Habitat, which basicly means tall NWSG mix plus 10-20 native forbs (flowers basicly, which bump up the seed costs). I dont really care much about the flowers, and I dont expect them to compete long with the Big Bluestem and CIR switch, but the NRCS is pushing CP25 and it does get you extra points to help win a contract bid. I would have preferred CP2, which is about the same thing minus the flowers I believe.

My CIR switch planting came in nicely in the 2nd season, but I am told this mix will take longer. I did round-up some of the weedier areas ahead of the planter, but I will no doubt be mowing in a month or two. I wish I had 200 acres of it, but with my 5' mower my 14 acres will be enough. I'm also glad I didnt have your seed bill, WOW!
shocked.gif
What are they alowing you per acre on the seed cost share? I think they told me $50-something, seed was $75/acre.

I need to get out and get some before pics while the field is bare.

Top Bottom