Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP Managment

Will be doing some management on some native grass stands(grass only) and old brome stands this year and was wondering if anyone had ideas on what was the most effective means of disturbance. Fire will not work on some of the plantings due to tree plantings that are too close. Was looking at the chemical treatment then disking and drilling in some legumes. Round up prices have gone up pretty high and was wondering if anyone had any good experiences with any of the generic versions or another type of chemical that would be less cost prohibitive yet still kill some of the native grass and brome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinjvh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will be doing some management on some native grass stands(grass only) and old brome stands this year and was wondering if anyone had ideas on what was the most effective means of disturbance. Fire will not work on some of the plantings due to tree plantings that are too close. Was looking at the chemical treatment then disking and drilling in some legumes. Round up prices have gone up pretty high and was wondering if anyone had any good experiences with any of the generic versions or another type of chemical that would be less cost prohibitive yet still kill some of the native grass and brome. </div></div>

I'd sure hate to see you kill native grasses with herbicide. Light discing is usually the best bet to set back grasses and establish some legumes in the stand.

I could see killing pure brome stands with herbicide but discing and interseeding alfalfa into the brome could make some dandy pheasant nesting habitat.

Any generic 41% glyphosate should be equal to Roundup (IMO) and I suspect all chemicals will be going up in price.

I would disc, interseed and forget the herbicide... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could see killing pure brome stands with herbicide but discing and interseeding alfalfa into the brome could make some dandy pheasant nesting habitat.

I would disc, interseed and forget the herbicide... </div></div>

This is my plan too for the upcoming year. I was going to mix some clover and some alfalfa on the interseeding. Dbltree, or others, do you have a recommedation on a good rate, pounds per acre, etc? I am very eager to begin to convert the "Dead Sea of Brome" over to something that is wildlife friendly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could see killing pure brome stands with herbicide but discing and interseeding alfalfa into the brome could make some dandy pheasant nesting habitat.

I would disc, interseed and forget the herbicide... </div></div>

This is my plan too for the upcoming year. I was going to mix some clover and some alfalfa on the interseeding. Dbltree, or others, do you have a recommedation on a good rate, pounds per acre, etc? I am very eager to begin to convert the "Dead Sea of Brome" over to something that is wildlife friendly. </div></div>

2-4#'s of white clover and 6-15#'s of alfalfa are some general amounts for interseeding, but if your getting midcontract payment you may want to double check your contract in case they specify an amount.

You can disc more or less depending on how severely you want to set back current vegetation, then if possible cultipack, seed and then cultipack to cover the seed.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom