Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP question- Early opt out

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
I am in the process of purchasing 39 acres. Most of it is in CRP that is short grass (about 12" tall).

A while back I signed up for the USDA email news letters. Most of the time it contains info that I don't care about. However, a few weeks ago the news letter was titled "Conservation Reserve Program: Early-outs for some contracts"

There doesn't appear to be a penalty for doing this. My question is would there be anything preventing you from opting out and then immediately re-enrolling into another CRP program? I would love to kill all the short grass and get into a CP25 program with Tall grass.

I can go spend some time talking to the folks at the NRCS office, but I figured maybe someone on this board would know.

Thanks.

I can go spend some time talking to the folks at the NRCS office, but I figured maybe someone on this board would know.

Thanks.

That would be a very good use of your time. I suspect that you won't be able to re-enroll soon as people might do that to try to get a higher price. On the other hand, if you explain what you want to do, they may well be very willing to work with you. The short grass is likely cool season grasses like brome etc. Benn my impression that most NRCS people would rather it be in native/warm season grasses anyway.

I agree with HorseDoc...leave it to the experts, go talk to the local NRCS people...besides, it's good face-time for new landowners.

I am in the process of purchasing 39 acres. Most of it is in CRP that is short grass (about 12" tall).

A while back I signed up for the USDA email news letters. Most of the time it contains info that I don't care about. However, a few weeks ago the news letter was titled "Conservation Reserve Program: Early-outs for some contracts"

There doesn't appear to be a penalty for doing this. My question is would there be anything preventing you from opting out and then immediately re-enrolling into another CRP program? I would love to kill all the short grass and get into a CP25 program with Tall grass.

Thanks.

You might be able to get the cover changed...For instance, I was able to add a tree plan to an existing CRP contract. It has to meet qualifications, etc...

The one time opt out is coming up real soon. The rules and what is eligible is very complex. Certain practices are not eligible. Definetly cannot reenroll after the opt out otherwise everyone with older lower paying contracts would do this. Some changes or new programs are not available until you have owned it one year.
It will be interesting to see how many utilize this to go back to crops. This is all part of the new farm bill requiring that the crp cap is lowered by around 2 million acres.
If a cover change is your goal that can done by working with nrcs. Good luck with your new property.

Mid contract management will be one method for changing cover and you can do it usually quite soon in a contract. Interseeding is no problem and you can get vouchers for help with cost of the native seed you want to put in. Like everyone, get into NRCS office & see what you can do. You can change CRP plans with the proper channels & paperwork - each CRP plan is different. For example, I've changed mine to add food plots, do tree plantings and interseed native grasses all in different areas over the years during the contracts.

Top Bottom