Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP Riparian Buffer ?

singlecoyote

Proud member of the IBA
Any experience with establishing this buffer?

What types of trees/shrubs were used?

What grasses planted?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Single Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any experience with establishing this buffer?

What types of trees/shrubs were used?

What grasses planted?

Thanks </div></div>

Most RB's are now planted to switchgrass (or a native grass mix) versus trees as they were in the beginning. I haven't signed one in but I know several that did a few years ago.

None planted trees (although I'm sure that is an option)

Your NRCS office can help you decide what they must have to comply and then you can decide from those possibles what would work best for you.

Here's a couple links on the sbject

RIPARIAN BUFFERS: WHAT ARE THEY and HOW DO THEY WORK?

Riparian buffers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Riparian buffers are a river's best hedge against erosion and pollution. </div></div>

Prairie grasses actually do a better job of soaking up eccess nitrogen and slowing runoff then trees and shrubs.

Riparian Buffer Systems in Iowa

Forested Riparian Buffers

Riparian Buffers for Agricultural Land

Buffer Strip Designs

IMPROVING SOIL AND WATER QUALITY WITH A MULTI-SPECIES RIPARIAN BUFFER STRIP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A sixteen-meter-wide multi-species riparian buffer was planted in 1990 consisting of 5 rows of trees adjacent to the stream, 2 rows of shrubs adjacent to the trees and a 7-meter-wide strip of native warm-season grass between the shrubs and cropfield.

Seven years after establishment the buffer removed 95% of the sediment, 94% of total-N, 85% of nitrate nitrogen, 91% of total-P and 80% of phosphate phosphorus from surface runoff. Total soil carbon increases since the buffer establishment were 123% under trees, 85% under switchgrass and 61% under cool-season grasses.

Particulate organic matter showed similar increases. Fine root and microbial biomass were three times higher in buffer soil than in crop soil. As a result, soil respiration rates were twice as high in the buffer soil as in the crop soil. Soil infiltration rates under the buffer were four times as high as in crop soils.

Nitrate in the soil water of the unsaturated zone was reduced by up to 90% as it crossed through the buffer. Four years after establishment, denitrification rates in the soil under trees were significantly higher than in crop soil, but rates under switchgrass were not different from the crop soil. </div></div>

Prairie Buffers

Biomass,carbon and nitrogen dynamics in an Iowa buffer

Iowa Buffer Initiative

Riparian Forest Buffer Design, Establishment, and Maintenance

Each situation might be different so you may even need to have someone from your NRCS office look it over with you. If you already have some trees/brush along the stream or ditch then prairiegrass might be enough.

if not..check out the various planting designs in those links for great ideas to use both tree/shrub plantings along with switchgrass.

You have the chance to create some awesome habitat and get paid for it!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Thanks. It's my understanding that the CRP Riparian Buffer (CP22) is 180' with a minimum of 60' of trees/shrubs the remaining width being WSG. Another option would be to go with a CRP Filter Strip (CP21) that is 120' of WSG with no trees.

I was hoping to find someone that has established a RB recently to find out what was planted and estimated cost/acre.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was hoping to find someone that has established a RB recently to find out what was planted and estimated cost/acre. </div></div>

Wish I could answer that directly but a friend of mine signed one up that was in pasture, the only thing he had to do was fence his.

Still..they paid 50% (I think) of the fencing costs and between the RB cost share and REAP funing you should be able to spend very little out of pocket costs.

You can plant much of it yourself and barely spend a dime...great program, so keep us posted it you go that route. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'm in the process of doing a CP-22 this spring. The DNR district forester is making my plan for free. He made a few suggestions about which trees/shrubs to plant but in the end it's up to you. I have a high deer density so I just plant cedars anymore. I'll have a row or two of shrubs around the outside but it will be mostly cedars.

Cost share is 75%. I think it pays about $100/acre for 15 years. I was told the minimum width could be 30'.

I would call your local district forester and NRCS office.

Tim

Top Bottom