Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cut before Spray?

darkhollow1

PMA Member
I am preparing to spray a few clover, alfalfa, and chicory plots this weekend with Arrest. Just curious if it would be necessary to mow the plots prior to spraying. For some reason I remember reading something about better results from doing this???

I've been told NOT to cut before spraying. The story goes that cutting the plant puts it on the defensive and it is then better able to resist the herbicide. Most herbicides work best when the target is actively growing, so my vote is to not mow and spray away. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darkhollow1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am preparing to spray a few clover, alfalfa, and chicory plots this weekend with Arrest. Just curious if it would be necessary to mow the plots prior to spraying. For some reason I remember reading something about better results from doing this??? </div></div>

It is best to mow something you are going to spray with roundup. Like mowing brome grass and then spray it to put in your food plot. I wouldnt advise mowing and established plot and then spraying.

Doesn't matter if clover or alfalfa is on the defensive side or not, arrest is a GRASS herbicide that will not hurt a legume. Best results are when the grass is growing good. The only thing you will do is get crop oil burn on the alfalfa and clover.

If you choose to mow, wait at least 4 or 5 days and see if the grasses are growing good. If they seem to be growing well, spray it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">see if the grasses are growing good </div></div>

I think that would be the case for any type of herbicide absorbed thru the leaves...don't mow and spray, mow, let it regrow and then spray.

I don't think I would mow unless grasses were getting mature and heading out perhaps...just my thoughts... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom