Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cut on impact vs. Chisel point

jharrell

Okay, I have read several articles lately stating either the cut on impact or the chisel point penetrates better even through bone. I've always been under the impression that a chisel point was the way to go if you accidentally caught some bone.

I know I don't need to ask this but does anyone have an opinion on this?

I always aim between the ribs so it hasn't been an issue for me.
wink.gif

I am a real believer in cut on impact heads WITHOUT a thin needle tip (can bend too easily) ie.Magnus Stinger styles..... I have completely penetrated the shoulder blade of a mature whitetail shooting these style of heads... and that was using a 55# recurve only generating around 36 ft/lbs of kinetic energy
blush.gif
.... most modern day compounds should blow right through the same hit with this kind of head.... by the way that particular whitetail dropped within 50 yards of my stand.

[ QUOTE ]
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh brother!
icon_rolleyes[1].gif

[ QUOTE ]
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, AIM is not the same as HIT
blush.gif

So when I miss, it does not make a difference
grin.gif

You mean there is something other than cut on impact?

I am not convinced that the cut on impact broadheads gain you much of anything with the equipment most people are using these days. Heck, a round ball shot out of any muzzleloader cuts on impact. A properly placed arrow from most bows will slice right on through its target. An improperly placed arrow will need the toughness to survive the bones and other things it might run into.

The only way you'll see a big difference in bone penetration is if you switch from a multi blade head to a cut to tip two blade head, such as the magnus, zwickey, grizzly designs.

If your interested, here is a link to the most comprehensive broadhead penetration studies ever done. These were done with the use of African game animals. Dr. Ed Ashby

Chuck Adams has written several articles about broadheads. He is a firm believer in cut on impact heads. I tend to think he knows more about bow hunting than all of us. I switched back to cut on impact after having poor performance on Elk with expandable heads. Yes you can get away with many things if your shot hits the right spot, but I believe you owe it to the animal to have the right equipment for those times when our shots don't end up on target and hit someplace other than where we aimed. I like the G5 montec.

Top Bottom