Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cutter/Trimmer?

bushman

I'm in the process of trying to de-buckthornsome of my ground. I'm getting some cost share funds from NRCS and can buy some new tools. I'm looking for a tool that i can go through a large amount of buckthorn. I'm working with about a 120 acres that has the buckthorn pocketed throughout.

Anyway, I don't want to spend days bent over cutting this crap with a chain saw. I've used the cutting head for my ryobi trimmer and didnt' like that. I'm looking at a STIHL with a blade on the bottom but have heard mixed reviews. I have eveything from small sprouts to tree's of buckthorn. The bigger stuff i will take with the chainsaw but its the 2 inch and less stuff I want a differernt tool for. Any input on what would be good for this job would be great. Thanks guys!!!

I'm looking at a Stihl fs 350,fs 450 or fs 550. Would just like to hear what anyone else who has used them thought before i drop a grand or more. Thanks.

You have to cut it and treat it. From what i've read you can use Tordon or Garlon 4. You dont' have to cut it if you use the Garlon 4 with a bark oil. You can also pull it out but i have some serious trees to deal with.

Also working on some really thick sumac, I've hear that if you cut that late summer (August) it will re-sprout and winter kill.

Timberpig,

We are in the process of an application for WHIP funds through NRCS. If we get aproved its a cost share program and I think we get reimbursed up to like $114 per acre that we improve. Good program. Check with your local USDA service center but I think apps were due on the first. Next time I get up there I'll take some before pictures.

Well after spending some time with Google, I believe what I have is actually Prickly Ash or something very similar. I've always just called it buckthorn for some reason. Although the prickly ash does seem somewhat invasive, as the areas seem to spread over time, at least it appears to be a native plant. It kind of reminds me of sumac the way it grows in colonies, but in totally different terrain. I dont really mind it but I wouldnt want a whole timber of it. The bucks sure seem to like it for making rubs.

Good luck with the real buckthorn, it doesnt sound like good stuff.

Top Bottom