Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CW From The Stand 2015-2016

CurtisWalker

Seemed like a lot of people like my thread last year so I figured I would do it again. Yes, I know many might be surprised this didn't start sooner but I am trying a new approach this year and am waiting till this next cold front to really even get started. Usually I hunt 60+ days during the bow season but I will most likely hunt around 45 this year. I was trying to keep everything unpressured and undisturbed until higher percentage days. I hunted the morning and afternoon of opening day with out seeing a thing. Friday will most likely be my next time in the stand unless I see something when I scout the fresh cut corn tonight.
On the other hand I have been slamming the ducks with my brother

Last edited:
Great job on the ducks. I as well have decided quality over quantity for the days I hunt this year. Plus it allows me to say "you know dear, I think I would rather spend time with you and the kids today" which is not a complete fib, but she doesn't have know the wind/weather is not right.

"you know dear, I think I would rather spend time with you and the kids today" which is not a complete fib, but she doesn't have know the wind/weather is not right.

Atta boy!!! Every good fib has some truth to it. Not that I would ever fib, or know the truth about any thing.

Walking in to my stand now. Got wuite the hike ahead of me but saw a couple good looking bucks in the area last night so it should be a decent sit.

Hunt #4 in progress

Crisis 1 averted. Sat in my stand and went to draw my bow just to practice and make sure everything was right. Well everything wasn't right. I couldn't get the release to lock so rather than walking back I figured I would just film tonight. I got bored and started looking inside the release and somehow a stick managed to get stuck down inside it. I managed to get it out and the release is working perfect again.

5:23 pm- no deer sighted yet

Last edited:
Hunt #6 day #4

Decided to get a quick little hunt in this evening. Got in the stand at 5 haven't seen anything yet.

Still have yet to see a deer during shooting light or have a deer in bow range.

7 deer while in the stand this year.

Didn't end up seeing anything

Last edited:
Hunt 7 Day 5

Sitting in a stand I hung a few weeks ago this morning. I bumped a few deer on my way in unfortunately. At shooting light I had a little 1.5 year old buck come cruising right under the stand. 7:17 am I had a mature doe come from behind me and walk down the ridge in front of me.

Hunt 8 Day 5

Well had a great hunt tonight. I went out with the girlfriend at 4:30 and set up. We didn't see anything until 6:15 when we saw three does feeding in the corn at the bottom of the hill below us. At around 6:30 I could here a deer coming up the hill from the creek bottom next to us. I started to get my bow up just in case but I had to pause as he got up the hill quicker than I expected. The next thing I hear is "OMG". I look up to see a big chocolate rack at 20 yards unfortunately his vitals were behind a cedar tree. From there he walked straight away down the hill. At thirty yards he stopped and gave me a very slight quartering away shot. I didn't want to risk it so I let him continue hoping he'd turn some more I could only watch as he continued down the hill. I was able to get the binos up for a better look he was a great mature 10 around the 160 mark.

Hunt 9 Day 6 Oct 29th

Saw two 1.5 year old bucks

Hunt 10 Day 7 Oct 31st

I went out tonight. At 4:00 I had a spike walk by on top of the hill. 5:00 I had a 2.5 year old buck come by I first saw him at 400 yards and watched him walk in the whole time, if only I could get a mature buck to do that. 5:30 I had another 1.5 year old take the same path. 6:00 I had a doe and fawn enter the field in the creek bottom. At 6:30 had another buck enter the field couldn't tell what he was but could hear him grunting.

Hunt 11 day 8

Actually have some battery in the phone today so hopefully I can keep updates. Sitting over a cornfield tonight behind some haybales. Different property also. Got out a little later because I was watching the vikings and I didn't think it'd do any damage with these temps.

Four hunts previous weren't worth typing up.

Hunt 15 Nov 10th

I went and sat over the cut corn and standing beans again. when the farmer decided to start harvesting the beans an hour before dark I made a quick dash home. Got ten steps into my back yard when I see a massive rack come up out of the grass and run straight away. Then two more small bucks get up. The doe was the last to leave. I continue up over the hill and get to my stand and see 4 bucks and a doe in the field below one was a shooter but none of them moved the rest of the night.

Hunt 16 Nov 11th

Have been in the tree all morning. So far a 2.5 year old buck and a button buck chasing a doe. Just need a big one to join the parade.

Top Bottom