Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CW From The Stand

CurtisWalker

Decided to make a live thread that I'll post on for the rest of the year. Got in the stand 13 minutes ago due to some very aggravating circumstances. I was supposed to go hunt with the kid I'm mentoring through his first year bowhunting so I'm waiting for him then get a text at 3:30 saying he can't make it because of work so I decide to try a property we've hunted on for 5 years. So as I'm pulling in here comes a truck out of the property and we stopped and talked turns out they are three guys from Texas hunting there the next 6 days so I let them be and went back home to the main property and start walking to the stand I have set up for a north northwest wind to see the farmer put his horses down in that pasture. Which puts me to plan D to hunt a stand on a hillside over looking the bottom that sets up okay for this wind. Not looking to be a good night.

I actually had great luck in similar situations where I was hunting in my last resort stand. Sometimes the place you least expect produces big. I know some years I've spent too many sits in my "Plan A" stand that I thought should have produced when I should have just packed up and tried a different spot. Enjoy the woods for all of us suckers that are still stuck at work! Good luck!

Went out this afternoon to the property I was originally going to go to last night. Went to give live updates but didn't have service didn't end up seeing anything until we were leaving when we saw one of our shooters on the way towards the property. Checked trailcams which have been acting up. I don't know why. But had a new what looks to be a 4.5 year old 8pt near 140s out yesterday at 2:40 pm

7:28- timber is starting to brighten up. Decoy is set. Hand warmers are warm from last night.. Now just waiting for the buck I call BOM-J (Big Ole' Mamma Jamma

3:00 pm-sitting in a waterway on the ground tonight. 3 guys from Texas are hunting the south end figured I have more rights to the property since I've hunted it 5 years now.. They have the better side but hopefully I can catch something crossing from up here on the north end

3:27 Big Green Deer is out in the field gone past 8 times now... Seems to be leaving quite the scrape behind him in the field too.

I might just be the guy with the worst luck in Iowa yet this year.

Gotta hit those big green ones low and mid belly to get them down. Brownish blood trail will be easy to follow, they usually don't have much heart once they go to leaking.

2:37 Sitting down in a creek bottom between to larger tracts of timber tonight. Figured it'd help keep the wind off me. Was going to hunt here this morning but decided to sleep in due to the wind. Pulled a camera card off the scrape below the stand on my way in.. Looks like I should have hunted this morning had a nice buck with a split g2 chasing a doe at 6:44 this morning

3:21- just had a big rooster cross an opening north of me if he gets within 20 I'm going to try to shoot him.

2:37 Sitting down in a creek bottom between to larger tracts of timber tonight. Figured it'd help keep the wind off me. Was going to hunt here this morning but decided to sleep in due to the wind. Pulled a camera card off the scrape below the stand on my way in.. Looks like I should have hunted this morning had a nice buck with a split g2 chasing a doe at 6:44 this morning

I had two shooter bucks by another stands of mine first thing this morning. Didn't see squat from the tree I was in. Figures.......

Well my phone died before I even got to post this evening.

I had a bad feeling when I first began walking to my stand with a car being down in the field next to the fence line I was planning on hunting on the field edge. It ended up being the best sit of the year.

4:15- had a small 1.5 yr old come into the grunt tube
4:20- same buck came cruising back
4:23- doe fawn runs in front of me
5:00-doe and fawn behind me at 70 yards
5:25-doe and fawn return behind me at 30 yards
5:28-two bucks sparring SW of me
5:30- 140" 3.5 feeding in beans 35 yards away
5:34-giant just entered field
5:45- still stuck in my stand waiting for my brother to drive in and clear field

Sitting in the same stand tonight

3:42 had a small buck enter the grass field east of me the walked behind me headed north didn't even lift his nose after his stand off with the decoy.

Top Bottom