Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD and feeders

vike4life

PMA Member
Just read the new deer and deer hunting mag. They had a big article about CWD. I know the info on this is changing rapidly the more that it is looked at. But the thing that stood out in my mind was the statement on how they thought it was spread. "Contaminated feed or nose to nose contact" and also places where large groups of deer gathered were high risk. So knowing that makes me disagree with feeders like the "antler trap" even more. Something about deer after deer sticking it's head into the same bucket doesn't sound safe to me. How much do we increase the chance of having contaminated feed or nose to nose touching by using the bucket? Do we want to take the risk? Do we need to take the risk?
confused.gif

Just my thoughts, just our deer.
Frank

I've had the same thoughts. This spring I decided not to put my feeder out or my mineral block because of the "contact" issue. Living in SW Missouri we have not had any reports of CWD yet that I know of but at the same time I know it is a very real threat and everything that can be done to prevent it should be. Missouri has a very weak policy as far as the prevention of CWD is concerned and I hope they will get there heads out and take this issue very seriously. With the policy the way it is now and our heavy deer population we could be at risk of contamination in the future.

Top Bottom