Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD in Iowa Preserve

Dnr vs usda

say what you want about any DNR, but i can assure you, you do NOT want the USDA et al trying to manage game farms or any aspect of CWD. the usda inc. mad cow follies of the last 15 years or so proves this. well, unless your a deer farmer. most deer farmers want the usda inc. to manage them $$$

USDA VS DNR

from a TSE Prion aka mad cow disease point of regulatory efforts, the USDA et al fumbled, bumbled, lost the football so many times, well, see for yourself. there is too much evidence to post here, for those interested, please see below, these links will lead you to that evidence. in short, the USDA (USA) had the gold card for trading, and boasted all the time about it, up and until that fateful day in Dec. of 2003. all things changed, you see, the gold card consisted of the USDA being able to corner the markets. simply because the USDA never intended to find any BSE with the infamous, enhanced, 2004 BSE surveillance program. from day one that program was set up to fail, and the BSE Harvard Risk assessment proved this. from bumbled testing protocols where you never would have a positive, only testing one part of the brain, with only the less sensitive testing, or, where the gosh darn guy collecting the suspect mad cow brains for the USDA to be tested, IS BRINGING ONLY HEALTHY BRAINS TO BE TESTED, to a failed BSE feed ban. the august 4, 1997, partial and voluntary mad cow feed ban was nothing but ink on paper. where as late as 10 years after said mad cow feed ban, some 10,000,000 pounds of suspect, banned, mad cow feed was fed out in commerce, where today, said feed ban still fails. remember .005 grams of BSE TSE prion tainted feed, is enough to kill a small herd of cows. from that Washington mad cow old dave capped, to the 1st documented mad cow in Texas they covered up i.e. stumbling and staggering highly suspect mad cow that officials in Austin made the final decision to rush that madcow to the render, to be chopped up for pet food, BEFORE ANY TEST COULD BE DONE. next mad cow in Texas, i.e. the infamous FONG madcow ............maybe TSSMADCOW too, that stumbling and staggering mad cow...went missing in action for a bit. I confirmed it some 7 months before myself and others finally got the USDA to confirm that madcow via Weybridge, and literally, an act of Congress, thanks to the Honorable Phyllis Fong of the OIG, and some scientist around the world...and me too...really, that’s my dang madcow. 7 months later, and after the gosh darn USDA during this 7 months, where that texas madcow tissue samples sat up on a shelf, or in a freezer, for the BSE MRR to be ratified. and it was. this made legal, the trading of all strains of TSE Prion mad cow disease to be traded globally, the Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy Minimal Risk Region i.e. BSE MRR. IT did away with the Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy Geographical Risk Assessments i.e BSE GBR. the BSE GBR was set forth with real science put forth, the BSE MRR was junk science, set up for trade $$$ you see, humans are expendable, due to the long incubation period. a few body bags will not matter. but they are slowly mounting, and the huge human health risk factor here is the iatrogenic aspect, i.e. friendly fire, pass it forward mode, i.e. blood, tissue, surgery, dental, that’s when all this becomes every persons problem. see correspondence between myself and TAHC. well, from there we go to Alabama. now, the Washington madcow was supposedly a Canadian mad cow sent to the USA. the USA and Canada traded cattle, livestock, feed, byproducts, like two lovers swapping spit. The Washington Canadian/USA madcow was a typical c-BSE madcow. Now, the second madcow in Texas, the one they finally decided to test after 7+ months, of a 48 hour confirmation turn around, so the BSE MRR policy could be ratified, was an atypical h-BSE madcow. moooving right along to the Alabama mad cow. the Alabama madcow was a strange type, it was atypical g-h-BSE i.e. genetic h-type atypical BSE. this is important, in the fact this cow matches exactly with the rising subtype of sporadic CJD in humans, what I call tpsCJD type pending sporadic CJD. right after that, the USDA decided to shut testing down to numbers so small (OIE standards), the odds of finding a madcow is nil. I am telling you, whether you want to hear it or not, North America, we have a problem, and the problem is slowly catching up with us $$$ really...

something some of you may or may not be aware of ;

*** Spraker suggested an interesting explanation for the occurrence of CWD. The deer pens at the Foot Hills Campus were built some 30-40 years ago by a Dr. Bob Davis. At or abut that time, allegedly, some scrapie work was conducted at this site. When deer were introduced to the pens they occupied ground that had previously been occupied by sheep.

(PLEASE NOTE SOME OF THESE OLD UK GOVERNMENT FILE URLS ARE SLOW TO OPEN, AND SOMETIMES YOU MAY HAVE TO CLICK ON MULTIPLE TIMES, PLEASE BE PATIENT, ANY PROBLEMS PLEASE WRITE ME PRIVATELY, AND I WILL TRY AND FIX OR SEND YOU OLD PDF FILE...TSS)

http://collections.europarchive.org/tna/20080102193705/http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/mb/m11b/tab01.pdf

White-tailed Deer are Susceptible to Scrapie by Natural Route of Infection

Jodi D. Smith, Justin J. Greenlee, and Robert A. Kunkle; Virus and Prion Research Unit, National Animal Disease Center, USDA-ARS

Interspecies transmission studies afford the opportunity to better understand the potential host range and origins of prion diseases. Previous experiments demonstrated that white-tailed deer are susceptible to sheep-derived scrapie by intracranial inoculation. The purpose of this study was to determine susceptibility of white-tailed deer to scrapie after a natural route of exposure. Deer (n=5) were inoculated by concurrent oral (30 ml) and intranasal (1 ml) instillation of a 10% (wt/vol) brain homogenate derived from a sheep clinically affected with scrapie. Non-inoculated deer were maintained as negative controls. All deer were observed daily for clinical signs. Deer were euthanized and necropsied when neurologic disease was evident, and tissues were examined for abnormal prion protein (PrPSc) by immunohistochemistry (IHC) and western blot (WB). One animal was euthanized 15 months post-inoculation (MPI) due to an injury. At that time, examination of obex and lymphoid tissues by IHC was positive, but WB of obex and colliculus were negative. Remaining deer developed clinical signs of wasting and mental depression and were necropsied from 28 to 33 MPI. Tissues from these deer were positive for scrapie by IHC and WB. Tissues with PrPSc immunoreactivity included brain, tonsil, retropharyngeal and mesenteric lymph nodes, hemal node, Peyer’s patches, and spleen. This work demonstrates for the first time that white-tailed deer are susceptible to sheep scrapie by potential natural routes of inoculation. In-depth analysis of tissues will be done to determine similarities between scrapie in deer after intracranial and oral/intranasal inoculation and chronic wasting disease resulting from similar routes of inoculation.

see full text ;

http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/Reports/2010/report-cwal-2010.pdf

Friday, May 18, 2012

Update from APHIS Regarding a Detection of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) in the United States Friday May 18, 2012

http://transmissiblespongiformencephalopathy.blogspot.com/2012/05/update-from-aphis-regarding-detection.html

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

O.I.E. BSE, CWD, SCRAPIE, TSE PRION DISEASE Final Report of the 80th General Session, 20 - 25 May 2012

http://transmissiblespongiformencephalopathy.blogspot.com/2012/07/oie-bse-cwd-scrapie-tse-prion-disease.html

Thursday, March 29, 2012

TEXAS DEER CZAR SAYS WISCONSIN DNR NOT DOING ENOUGH ABOUT CWD LIKE POT CALLING KETTLE BLACK

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/03/texas-deer-czar-says-wisconsin-dnr-not.html

Friday, June 01, 2012

TEXAS DEER CZAR TO WISCONSIN ASK TO EXPLAIN COMMENTS

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/06/texas-deer-czar-to-wisconsin-ask-to.html

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Far West Texas

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/07/chronic-wasting-disease-detected-in-far.html

see below, my 11 year plea, for the state of Texas TAHC to test deer where i knew they had been walzing across the Texas, New Mexico border for over a decade. i started in 2001 to try and get them to test at the WSMR. they just ignored me, year after year, until the great state of New Mexico humiliated them enough into finally testing for CWD in that area. you can see here ;

Saturday, July 07, 2012

TEXAS Animal Health Commission Accepting Comments on Chronic Wasting Disease Rule Proposal

Considering the seemingly high CWD prevalence rate in the Sacramento and Hueco Mountains of New Mexico, CWD may be well established in the population and in the environment in Texas at this time.

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/07/texas-animal-health-commission.html

Friday, July 20, 2012

CWD found for first time in Iowa at hunting preserve

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/07/cwd-found-for-first-time-in-iowa-at.html

kind regards,
terry

Terry,

Not arguing USDA vs DNR... but simply stating that WI DNR tried for many years to erradicate ALL deer in the CWD zone. I repeat ALL deer... I doubt too many Iowans would want that :confused:

Terry,

Not arguing USDA vs DNR... but simply stating that WI DNR tried for many years to erradicate ALL deer in the CWD zone. I repeat ALL deer... I doubt too many Iowans would want that :confused:

i hear ya, i hear ya for sure there WIwhitetail. i wish i had all the answers, and i don't pretend to have that at all. i wish i did. i wish somebody did. i feel for Wisconsin, i really do. for the ones that know the potential ramifications, they are few, and the ones that are not up to date on the science, are many, and this is, and has been, for a reason. the usda inc. thinks the less science out there, the better, that's why they go by science that is so old on their website, it's prehistoric, they are still going by the UKBSEnvCJD only theory (that's for another forum i suppose). but for cwd, once established, until a vaccine for cure is validated, or a miracle happens, we must look at the obvious to contain. i.e...................i am not going to be very popular here with this...... i.e. unatural baiting, feeding, food plots, mineral licks, anything that helps deer congregate together, helps spreads CWD. game farms are a serious problem with CWD. fenceline, nose to nose, fluids, feces, also, animal protein via high protein feed, oh, and artificial urine scent, all are factors for the spreading of CWD. now, we all know that in the wild, all this happens. but if as stewards of the woods, the hunters, we must try and do everything possible, to fight CWD. it's even possible that CWD could transmit and transfer as FMD, where one could transfer the agent from one location to the next, in my opinion. nope, it's not going to be easy, it's not going to be pretty, but maybe, just maybe, you might be able to contain it. you can hide it, by not doing enough testing, but in the end, that will come back to haunt you (the state and the hunters. just my opinion.......

kind regards,
terry

I actually live less than a mile from the high fence operation in question. It is under 24 hour quarantine, so that no deer can come into or leave the facility. I also heard that the guy who owns the ranch is trying to fight the fact that they want to kill every deer and elk inside the pen. I heard that the only way to test for cwd is to kill the animals. I don't think he is going to have a choice, so kill them all. What's bad is that these are non wild animals brought into the area. If it wasn't for this one person bringing them in, I don't think we would have a problem. Same thing with the deer in Macon Missouri that tested positive last year. High fence operation!!! This could end up impacting me, and other Iowans, in a large way if a wild deer tested positive, thanks to the whole deer rancher thing! I think it is a joke in the first place. So now because they want to fence in a farm and raise deer for people that don't want to take the time to actually hunt, I have to pay the consequences!! And I don't fault the guys that are raising the deer. Apparently there is a market for it, or they wouldn't stay in business. But when it directy impacts the Iowa outdoorsmans way of life, I think there is no need for it!!! Whats even worse, is that the deer that tested positive was killed and tested in December, and the results just came back last week. WTF?

I actually live less than a mile from the high fence operation in question. It is under 24 hour quarantine, so that no deer can come into or leave the facility. I also heard that the guy who owns the ranch is trying to fight the fact that they want to kill every deer and elk inside the pen. I heard that the only way to test for cwd is to kill the animals. I don't think he is going to have a choice, so kill them all. What's bad is that these are non wild animals brought into the area. If it wasn't for this one person bringing them in, I don't think we would have a problem. Same thing with the deer in Macon Missouri that tested positive last year. High fence operation!!! This could end up impacting me, and other Iowans, in a large way if a wild deer tested positive, thanks to the whole deer rancher thing! I think it is a joke in the first place. So now because they want to fence in a farm and raise deer for people that don't want to take the time to actually hunt, I have to pay the consequences!! And I don't fault the guys that are raising the deer. Apparently there is a market for it, or they wouldn't stay in business. But when it directy impacts the Iowa outdoorsmans way of life, I think there is no need for it!!! Whats even worse, is that the deer that tested positive was killed and tested in December, and the results just came back last week. WTF?

that's what i want to know, where the deer came from i.e. traceability. i have yet to see any official report from ;

http://www.iowadnr.gov/InsideDNR/SocialMediaPressRoom/NewsReleases.aspx

http://www.iowaagriculture.gov/newsAndEvents.asp

and i have also written to

xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx@iowaagriculture.gov

no reply as to official posting of confirmation anywhere.

maybe i am not looking in the right place ?

seems they would post it somewhere for the public.

kind regards,
terry

Same reaction in N-MI over TB. Kill all the deer they could in the area. Deer hunting stinks up there now. This makes the farmers and Iowa Farm bureau happy though. Just what they would like erradicate!

email from the iowa DNR
CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE FOUND IN IOWA

DES MOINES – A white-tail deer at a hunting preserve in Davis County has become the first positive detection of chronic wasting disease (CWD) in Iowa. The positive sample was verified this week, and DNR is working closely with the State Veterinarian on this isolated incident.

There is no evidence that CWD can spread to humans, pets or domestic livestock such as pork, beef, dairy, poultry, sheep or goats.

The Davis County facility where the animal was held has been inspected by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) to ensure that any remaining deer remain contained. The facility is surrounded by an eight-foot fence. A quarantine has also been issued for the facility.

“Given all of Iowa’s surrounding states have confirmed cases of CWD, Iowa DNR was prepared to address this isolated incident,” said DNR Deputy Director Bruce Trautman.

The DNR and IDALS have a CWD response plan in place to address the disease.

“We have a CWD surveillance program in place to test deer, elk and moose at the facilities that raise farm deer and we have worked closely with DNR to plan for a possible finding of the disease,” said Iowa State Veterinarian Dr. David Schmitt.

Iowa has tested 42,557 wild deer and over 4,000 captive deer and elk as part of the surveillance program since 2002 when CWD was found in Wisconsin.

The DNR will increase testing of wild deer in the area by working with hunters and landowners to collect samples from hunter harvested deer beginning this fall.

CWD is a neurological disease that only affects deer, elk and moose. It is caused by an abnormal protein, called a prion, which affects the brains of infected animals, causing them to lose weight, display abnormal behavior and lose bodily functions. Signs include excessive salivation, thirst and urination, loss of appetite, progressive weight loss, listlessness and drooping ears and head.

The prions can attach to soil and spread the disease among deer. Chronic wasting disease was first identified in captive mule deer at a research facility in Colorado in 1967. Prior to the positive detection in Iowa, CWD had been detected in every bordering state.

Wow , Jclaws so sorry to read this,

What is being done?
Where did this deer come from?
When was it detected and when was it killed?
Has other testing been done on the rest of the animals in the pen?
Or are they trying to sweep it under the rug?

Curious and very concerned

They need to kill everything in that pen and test them all immediately to see how bad the problem is. They then need to put up a double fence around it and not let any deer in there for as many years as it takes for the CWD prions to go away. Every hour that goes by without depopulating that pen is a shame and puts wild deer in the area at risk.

Does anyone know what is actually going on?

From what i heard yesterday is that they are giving the owner of the pen till the end of the year to kill everything in the pen. Then he cannot have anything in it for five years. The owner of the pen has another high fence operation in northern iowa also, and i heard that it was under quarantine too. I would think that they would have records of the deer that tested positive,was it was born at the davis county sight? or was bought from some other facility and brought in. Like i said before i dont blame the owner, he had no way of knowing that this would happen But it will be interesting to see the impact that it has on all the people around here,and the deer herd.

Last edited:
What is being done?
Where did this deer come from?
When was it detected and when was it killed?
Has other testing been done on the rest of the animals in the pen?
Or are they trying to sweep it under the rug?

Curious and very concerned

What i heard from a local co is that the deer was shot in december, and out of 41 samples that were sent in only 1 came back positive.Why it took 8 months to get the results back is a mystery to me, but i know nothing about cwd testing.

If they are giving him till the end of the year, then they aren't managing it correctly IMHO. ALL the animals inside the fence shoulda been shot within 24hrs. If it shows up outside the pen then rec land prices in the area will plummet, just like in the Macon/Linn County area in MO. And I'd question if there was any link between the two places in any way whatsoever,,, if it were me. Animals do show up under the cover of darkness and there's still a lot of questions to be answered about the populations prior too and after the positive test in MO, seems some deer/elk may have vanished....

I sent a email to the dnr a couple days ago wanting to know what the plan was.Yesterday i got a call from one of the dnr biologists willie suchy. He filled me in on some of my concerns. They are wanting as many mature deer in the surrounding area tested this fall. I also asked why it took 8 months to get the results back. He said that they sent 4000 tests to texas, and if the positive sample would have been in the first box they would have had it back in february, unfortunatly it must have been in the last box. I also asked about it turning into another wisconsin deer slaughter, and he said that they have learned alot about what to do and what not to do from the other states dealing with the problem.
It also sounds like there is nothing written in stone about how they are dealing with the deer that are still in the pen as of now. It sounds like they are still investigating where the deer that tested positive actually came from originally(whether it was brought in from another facility or if it was born there). I know as of this morning the dnr are still watching the gates making sure no deer are being moved in or out.

The bottom line is going to come down to whether or not it is contained inside the high fence or not. If any of the deer outside the fence test positive, that wont be good!

I sent a email to the dnr a couple days ago wanting to know what the plan was.Yesterday i got a call from one of the dnr biologists willie suchy. He filled me in on some of my concerns. They are wanting as many mature deer in the surrounding area tested this fall. I also asked why it took 8 months to get the results back. He said that they sent 4000 tests to texas, and if the positive sample would have been in the first box they would have had it back in february, unfortunatly it must have been in the last box. I also asked about it turning into another wisconsin deer slaughter, and he said that they have learned alot about what to do and what not to do from the other states dealing with the problem.
It also sounds like there is nothing written in stone about how they are dealing with the deer that are still in the pen as of now. It sounds like they are still investigating where the deer that tested positive actually came from originally(whether it was brought in from another facility or if it was born there). I know as of this morning the dnr are still watching the gates making sure no deer are being moved in or out.

The bottom line is going to come down to whether or not it is contained inside the high fence or not. If any of the deer outside the fence test positive, that wont be good!

Shouldn't they at a bare minimum be required to double fence the enclosed area...like right away? I have personally seen deer nuzzling through fences a couple of times in my life, where one was "free" and the other was penned.

Update - Iowa’s CWD Voluntary Program 2012

Chronic Wasting Disease – Update 2012

Dee Clausen, Farm Deer Program Coordinator

Update - Iowa’s CWD Voluntary Program

There are 153 cervid herds currently enrolled in Iowa‘s CWD Program. Of these, 104 herds are whitetail deer, 32 herds are elk, 4 with deer and/elk species, 11 are county conservation boards premises and 2 are park/zoos. These herds have a total of 4,867 cervids that are enrolled in the program, with totals of 1,002 elk, 3,840 whitetail, 3 fallow deer, and 19 mule deer.
Iowa Intrastate Movement Requirements for Cervidae
66.14(1) All intrastate movements of Cervidae other than to a state or federally inspected slaughter establishment shall be accompanied by an intrastate movement certificate of veterinary inspection signed by a licensed, accredited veterinarian.

Movement of CWD susceptible Cervidae, other than direct movement to slaughter, shall only be allowed from herds that have been enrolled in the Iowa CWD monitoring program and have successfully completed at least one year. (CWD susceptible species include white tail deer, elk, mule deer, red deer and moose) Iowa Import Requirements for Cervidae CWD susceptible Cervidae shall only be allowed into Iowa from herds which have satisfactorily completed at least five years in an officially recognized CWD monitoring program. However, Cervidae originating from an area considered to be endemic to chronic wasting disease shall not be allowed entry into Iowa. Cervidae that originate from a herd that has had animal introductions from an area endemic to chronic wasting disease during the preceding five years shall not be allowed entry into Iowa. A permit number must be issued by Iowa‘s State Veterinarian prior to movement. For further import requirements, refer to CWD Rule 21—65.12(163) posted on IDALS website, or contact the Department of Agriculture at 515/281-8236.

In 2011, Iowa permitted in from out of state 193 whitetail deer and 43 elk.
All cervidae leaving Iowa must meet the state of destinations‘ entry requirements prior to movement. USDA Tuberculosis Testing (Cervidae) All veterinarians must be accredited and cervid species certified by USDA to do TB testing on cervidae. Please contact the Federal Office if you have any questions regarding TB at 515/284-4140. Iowa Brucellosis Requirements (Cervidae) Please contact the State Office if you have any questions regarding Brucellosis at 515/281-8236.

CWD Testing

USDA sent out a memo in September, 2011 that there will no longer be funding available to pay for CWD testing of farmed cervids as of December 31st, 2011. Cervid owners in the Iowa voluntary CWD program will now be charged for routine CWD testing. Accredited Veterinarians will still be pulling samples and sending them to an approved CWD lab. If you would like a listing of labs surrounding Iowa performing CWD testing, please contact Dee Clausen . The National Veterinary Services Laboratory will still be conducting CWD testing and requests that the obex be submitted in formalin, one medial retropharyngeal lymph node submitted in formalin, and the other medial retropharyngeal lymph node fresh in a whirl pack on ice. It is Iowa‘s CWD Program requirements for submission of the obex as well as the medial retropharyngeal nodes on all captive elk and deer 16 months and older that have died or been slaughtered. The VS-10-4 form required for laboratory submissions must be completely filled in, showing all forms of identification, mailed with the specimen submission and a copy of the VS 10-4 form faxed to the State Veterinarian‘s office at 515/281-4282. Contact Information:
Dee Clausen, Farm Deer Program Coordinator

====================================

Iowa's Voluntary Chronic Wasting Disease Surveillance Program

What Is The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, Bureau of Animal Industry Doing About CWD?

The Iowa Department of Agriculture has initiated the voluntary CWD Surveillance Inventory Program which requires CWD surveillance, reporting, and testing of those farmed cervidae 16 months of age and older that dies

from any cause. Before any cervidae is imported into the state it must have a health certificate, permit, meeting Iowa’s import requirements, (link) including a review of the herd history. Cervidae permitted entry into the state will be quarantined to the premises of destination and held in isolation until inspected by a departmental representative
Since the start of the CWD surveillance program in 2000, the farmed cervid producers have submitted over 1,300 brain samples for CWD testing; no positives have been identified in Iowa. If CWD is diagnosed in a farmed cervid, the farm would be quarantined and the disease eradicated using recommended disease control strategies. The threat of CWD is a serious concern to Iowa and the cervidae industry. All practical steps to minimize the risk of the disease spreading to Iowa are being taken.

Requirements for the Iowa CWD Program include annual inventory reconciliation recorded by a State District Veterinarian within 90 days of the CWD anniversary date. Inventory requirements are:

1) Records shall be kept to document the history/accountability of all animals in the herd. This includes identification, date of birth and sex of all animals born or received on the premise.

2) All animals must have two forms of official identification which are outlined in the Rules under 64.104 Definitions “Official Cervid Identification”.

3) A copy of a health certificate (CVI) properly filled out and signed by an accredited veterinarian shall be kept to document movement in or out of the herd.

4) Surveillance will be maintained by collecting and submitting appropriate samples from all cases of mortality, including slaughter, in animals 16 months of age and older, keeping copies of the laboratory reports.
The CWD Program herd producers upon satisfactory completion of their annual inventories will receive a letter of status verification, and also a billfold size certificate card with their herd’s status, anniversary date, and expiration date.

http://www.iowaagriculture.gov/animalIndustry/cwdSurveillance.asp

IAC Ch 115, p.1

571—115.10(81GA,SF206) Positive chronic wasting disease test results. A positive test result for chronic wasting disease will result in a minimum of a five-year quarantine on the preserve and all remaining animals located within the infected preserve. No animal movement in or out of the preserve shall occur during the quarantine period. The preserve operator, the operator’s veterinarian if requested, and a designated epidemiologist shall develop a plan for eradicating chronic wasting disease in each affected herd. The plan must be designed to reduce and then eliminate chronic wasting disease from the herd; to prevent the spread of the disease to other herds, both privately owned and wild; and to prevent reintroduction of chronic wasting disease after the herd is released from quarantine. The herd plan must be developed and signed within 30 days after the determination that the herd is infected. The plan must be formalized as a memorandum of agreement between the preserve operator, the department and the state veterinarian’s office. Disposal of infected animals must be in accordance with 571—104.11(481A). Premises must be cleaned and disinfected under department supervision within 15 days after affected animals have been removed.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/IAC/LINC/6-27-2012.Rule.571.115.10.pdf

Saturday, February 04, 2012
Wisconsin 16 age limit on testing dead deer Game Farm CWD Testing Protocol Needs To Be Revised

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/02/wisconsin-16-age-limit-on-testing-dead.html

Monday, June 11, 2012

OHIO Captive deer escapees and non-reporting

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/06/ohio-captive-deer-escapees-and-non.html

Detection of Protease-Resistant Prion Protein in Water from a CWD-Endemic
Area

The data presented here demonstrate that sPMCA can detect low levels of PrPCWD in the environment, corroborate previous biological and experimental data suggesting long term persistence of prions in the environment2,3 and imply that PrPCWD accumulation over time may contribute to transmission of CWD in areas where it has been endemic for decades. This work demonstrates the utility of sPMCA to evaluate other environmental water sources for PrPCWD, including smaller bodies of water such as vernal pools and wallows, where large numbers of cervids congregate and into which prions from infected animals may be shed and concentrated to infectious levels. snip...end...full text at ;

http://www.landesbioscience.com/

http://www.cwd-info.org/pdf/3rd_CWD_Symposium_utah.pdf

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2009/08/third-international-cwd-symposium-july.html

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2009/10/detection-of-protease-resistant-cervid.html

Chronic Wasting Disease Susceptibility of Four North American Rodents

Chad J. Johnson1*, Jay R. Schneider2, Christopher J. Johnson2, Natalie A. Mickelsen2, Julia A. Langenberg3, Philip N. Bochsler4, Delwyn P. Keane4, Daniel J. Barr4, and Dennis M. Heisey2 1University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Comparative Biosciences, 1656 Linden Drive, Madison WI 53706, USA 2US Geological Survey, National Wildlife Health Center, 6006 Schroeder Road, Madison WI 53711, USA 3Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, 101 South Webster Street, Madison WI 53703, USA 4Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Lab, 445 Easterday Lane, Madison WI 53706, USA *Corresponding author email:
[email protected]

We intracerebrally challenged four species of native North American rodents that inhabit locations undergoing cervid chronic wasting disease (CWD) epidemics. The species were: deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus), white-footed mice (P. leucopus), meadow voles (Microtus pennsylvanicus), and red-backed voles (Myodes gapperi). The inocula were prepared from the brains of hunter-harvested white-tailed deer from Wisconsin that tested positive for CWD. Meadow voles proved to be most susceptible, with a median incubation period of 272 days. Immunoblotting and immunohistochemistry confirmed the presence of PrPd in the brains of all challenged meadow voles. Subsequent passages in meadow voles lead to a significant reduction in incubation period. The disease progression in red-backed voles, which are very closely related to the European bank vole (M. glareolus) which have been demonstrated to be sensitive to a number of TSEs, was slower than in meadow voles with a median incubation period of 351 days. We sequenced the meadow vole and red-backed vole Prnp genes and found three amino acid (AA) differences outside of the signal and GPI anchor sequences. Of these differences (T56-, G90S, S170N; read-backed vole:meadow vole), S170N is particularly intriguing due its postulated involvement in "rigid loop" structure and CWD susceptibility. Deer mice did not exhibit disease signs until nearly 1.5 years post-inoculation, but appear to be exhibiting a high degree of disease penetrance. White-footed mice have an even longer incubation period but are also showing high penetrance. Second passage experiments show significant shortening of incubation periods. Meadow voles in particular appear to be interesting lab models for CWD. These rodents scavenge carrion, and are an important food source for many predator species. Furthermore, these rodents enter human and domestic livestock food chains by accidental inclusion in grain and forage. Further investigation of these species as potential hosts, bridge species, and reservoirs of CWD is required.

please see ;

http://www.cwd-info.org/pdf/3rd_CWD_Symposium_utah.pdf

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2009/08/third-international-cwd-symposium-july.html

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/03/michigan-senate-bill-27-turns-over-game.html

kind regards,
terry

Eventually CWD will be found in free ranging. Only matter of time. All feeding,minerals, etc will be banned. Even plots will be discouraged. Deer numbers harvested will be encouraged, with liberal permits and seasons. Farmers will be happy. Farm B- happy. Govenor Happy. Most of DNR Happy.Insurance Comps's Happy. A win for everyone..Disease-Problem,,,will always remain. Not effect deer herd much. Human reaction to it will...

I heard this morning that the deer that tested positive was brought in from another facility two days before it was shot. I would think that is pretty positive news for our neighborhood. My only concern is that im sure it wasn't the only deer hauled down here in the close confines of a trailer.

Top Bottom