Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD in North Missouri Updates

MO-APE

Here we go, the fallout starts from the 5 confirmed cases in Macon County:
1 - No feeding or mineral stations
2 - Removal of 4 point restriction in certain counties...back to "if it is brown it is down"
3 - Suggestion of not moving carcasses out of certain counties.

Restriction on Feeding

The Conservation Commission approved a regulation change at its May 25 meeting that places a restriction on activities that are likely to unnaturally concentrate white-tailed deer and promote the spread of CWD. The ban on the placement of grain, salt products, minerals and other consumable natural or manufactured products is limited to the area where CWD has been found in Macon County and is comprised of Adair, Chariton, Linn, Macon, Randolph and Sullivan counties.

The regulation includes exceptions for backyard feeding of birds and other wildlife within 100 feet of any residence or occupied building, or if feed is placed in such a manner to reasonably exclude access by deer. The regulation also includes exceptions for normal agricultural, forest management, crop and wildlife food production practices.

According to MDC Deer Biologist Jason Sumners, the reason for the regulation change is that activities such as feeding and placement of minerals/salts that artificially concentrate deer greatly increase the likelihood of disease transmission from animal to animal or from soil to animal.

TeenageHunter said:
Say I bring an animal back from Missouri. Do I have to get it CWD tested if its in one of those counties?

Leaving the carcass is only a suggestion. They suggest deboning, wrapping up meat and leaving scraps where it was shot. Obviously doesn't work for a caped deer.

By the way, I also read they suggest demolishing existing mineral sites. Good luck with that MDC.

Same kind of restrictions about TB ,,up in MI, some 15 yrs ago. Still TB around,,but alot less deer. Not from disease, but from liberal seasons and permits. Now alot less deer around,,which in the end,,is what most,,except hunters,,really wanted after all.!

Teenage,
Nope. I know a guy that shot a doozy mule deer buck here, looked healthy, tested positive.

Doesn't Iowa have a law that states you can't bring a deer into Iowa from a state that has CWD? Meat has to be boned out, caped, and antlers removed from skull also?

I know the DNR had a hunter check stations set up on I-80 last year.

PYBucks said:
Doesn't Iowa have a law that states you can't bring a deer into Iowa from a state that has CWD? Meat has to be boned out, caped, and antlers removed from skull also?

I know the DNR had a hunter check stations set up on I-80 last year.

If I shoot a Buck I'll bring him back and the landowner wants the Does (he gets the meat). I want to stay legal.

Sad state of affairs back home for sure, my place was 15miles from ground zero. Glad I got it sold before this came to light. 200 deer farms, 500,000+ deerhunters each year, seems pretty obvious now they need to do away with captive deer but that'll never happen.

Top Bottom