Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD

Shovelbuck

As most know, Nebraska was found to have CWD some years ago. While it had only been found in the western part of the state, I had concerns, and kept up with reports. My views about CWD have gone from a mass state of panic, to a feeling and belief that it's more than likely allways been here and we are now just becoming more aware of it.
Allthough there is no proof of CWD crossing the species barrier and infecting humans, I now feel compelled to get my recent deer tested.
CWD was found here outside my home town recently and the Game and Parks is asking hunters who have harvested deer within a 30 mile radious to take the heads in for testing. This is in Central Nebraska, so it's just no longer being found out in the western part of the state.
For my family's peace of mind I will have it tested. The buck that was found to have it came from where 75% of my shed finds come from. The G & P is shooting a bunch of deer out there now for further testing. Looks like shedding out there won't be good this year.

That really stinks, hope the one that tested outside your hometown was just a odd ball. As far as sheds go, take a long trip to the land of Lincoln.
shocked.gif

Shovelbuck,

My thoughts are similar to yours. I think that CWD has always been around but if no one is looking for it, then no one will find it. Personally, I think it is Mother Nature's way of dealing with an over capacity herd. I think there is a lot of hype over CWD because it makes a good "fear" story for the media. The truth is, it is a concern, but a mild concern. There are zero documented cases of of humans being affected by eating a deer that had CWD. CWD is a prion that affects the brain. Very littel is known about prions although we learn more everyday. We do know that CWD does not affect muscle meat and is thought to only be a threat if you eat organs, spinal cords, lymph nodes etc of an infected deer. I don't know about you, but I usually leave those for the coyotes. There are precautions you can take. Never use the same saw that you cut the horns off of the deer or sever the spinal cord with on any part of the deer you wish to consume. I think the best advice is to simply bone your deer out as it hangs. It's pretty simple to do.

As I mentioned above, as long as the DNR is looking for CWD, they will find it. Don't get me wrong, I think it is important to look for it. If you don't know what you have, you can't control it. I just hope that other states learn how to handle it better than we have in Wisconsin. I don't agree with the go out and eliminate the deer herd approach. I live in the "eradication zone" and the DNR started their spot lighting and shooting deer camaign this week.

I've rambled long enough, if anyone is concerned, have your deer tested. It is pretty inexpensive and does not take long to get results back.

Sorry Jay.

Come on up some weekend and I will give you a treat. Might not have many big bucks around but have many good times.

Mike

P.S. Be ready to climb, this ain't flat Iowa where we are going.

Top Bottom