Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Danger: Lead vs Cooper

blake

Life Member
hoofline.gif

This article is rather lenghty, but I must read if you consume venison IMO. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

From the Omaha World Herald:

Lead vs. Copper: Research targets lead bullets' impact

BISMARCK, N.D. - Chris Parish has fired lead bullets from deer rifles into water jugs, wet telephone books and ballistics gel.

He's pulled the trigger on copper bullets.

Parish, an Arizonan and big-game hunter who feeds his daughters venison from his hunting trips, said he was shocked at what researchers found after picking through the targets. Lead rifle bullets fragmented on impact more than expected, sending hundreds of tiny pieces of lead several inches from the bullet's entry point and path.

The implication was clear: There are dangers associated with game animals shot with lead-based ammunition that are consumed by people, scavengers and predators.

"This blew me away," Parish said. "How much lead are we eating?"

Parish said the answer turns out to depend on the type of bullet shot, whether the hunter processes his own deer and if the hunter had a good, clean kill shot.

Tests indicate that copper bullets fragment less than lead-based bullets, Parish said. The 150-grain lead-based, soft-point bullet retained 92 grains, or 64 percent of its mass. A 165-grain copper bullet retained 164.3 grains, or 99.6 percent of its mass.

The lead vs. copper tests were conducted after the Peregrine Fund studied lead ammunition to determine why California condors were ailing and dying from lead poisoning, the leading cause of death in reintroduced condors. The Peregrine Fund breeds captive condors in Idaho and produces chicks released near the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Parish directs the condor restoration project in Arizona.

Research showed that scavenging condors ingested fragments of lead dispersed through carcasses and gut piles left by hunters in the birds' foraging areas.

The Peregrine Fund turned to Arizona hunters for help. Hunters were asked to voluntarily use copper bullets or not leave gut piles in the field. The Arizona Game and Fish Department offered two free boxes of copper rifle ammunition to each hunter in the condor area.

More than 80 percent of Arizona hunters made the switch last year. That's up from 60 percent in 2006.

No condors died of lead poisoning last year. Four died of lead poisoning in 2006.

"Hunters responded like the conservationists we are," Parish said. "We showed that hunters, if presented a problem in a reasonable manner and asked for support, will give it to you."

California took a more direct approach to reduce lead in condor country. A new state law banned lead bullets July 1.

Parish said he knows hunters who say their lead-based bullets don't fragment and retain 96 percent of their mass. That made him wonder how many lead fragments there could be after a bullet hits a deer or elk. That's when the ballistics tests started.

"Even in bullets that retained 96 percent of their mass, they yielded 50 to 100 fragments," Parish said. "If that's left in the gut pile or you make a poor shot, or don't clean your meat properly, you may be eating it."

The issue gained urgency last spring when North Dakota health officials pulled hunter-donated venison from food pantries after the discovery of lead fragments in about 60 percent of the meat tested.

State officials in Iowa and Minnesota - where evidence of lead was found in 22 percent of 1,239 samples taken last fall from commercial processors and hunters who butcher and trim their own deer - took similar precautions. The meat had been donated by hunters to help feed the needy.

Kit Hams, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission big game manager, said there is no simple answer. Hunters and processors need to be careful how they handle game shot with lead.

"Shot up meat I don't eat," Hams said.

The issue may be discussed next week at a meeting of Midwest deer and turkey biologists in Crawford, Neb.

No amount of lead is considered safe in people.

Nontoxic ammunition has been required for all waterfowl hunting in the United States since 1991. Regulations vary, however, for using lead shot for hunting pheasants and other game.

Researchers say incidental lead-poisoning deaths of many birds and mammals are unnecessarily high. Victims include bald eagles, golden eagles, mourning doves, upland game birds and coyotes.

The price of non-lead ammunition may hinder efforts to encourage hunters to make the switch. Copper bullets cost about $3 to $10 a box more than lead-based ammunition.

Parish said copper bullets are just as effective for him when he shoots big game from his preferred range of less than 200 yards. Abandoning lead bullets for big-game hunting won't reduce the quality of the hunting experience, he said.

"I'll stand flat-footed with anybody shooting a lead-based bullet and match velocity and penetration," Parish said. "The fact that copper doesn't bust into pieces gives
it better killing power."

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>>Details Here!<<<<< Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

Don't you find it the least bit strange that the guy doing research has a vested interest in the outcome?

96% retention of projectile mass, did they dig the other 4% out of the target or is there 4% left in the barrel rifleings? The only refernce I remember reading aout the projectile they used was "soft lead" so does this 96% cut across all bullettes or just the ones they were using?

I'll stop using lead bulettes as soon as a Condor dies of injested lead poisoning in Iowa, which brings up another point. Did he specifically say the condors eagles doves, whatever, died of injested lead or just lead poisoning? All the game I have shot with a gun died of lead poisoning.

The 'Bonker

we have been eating all sorts of game shot with lead for centuries with no ill side effects....

My primary meat source is venison. my wife and i go through 3-4 deer a year and are very healthy..... if you dont count the fat.
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

im not all that worried about it!

Re: Danger: Lead vs Copper

The article presents "research" done on high power center fire rounds.

Iowa is mainly a shotgun slug state so I wonder how the statistic work for weight retention on those projectiles?

Sure, muzzle loaders are gaining in popularity but most are not shooting 150 grain bullets at 3,000 fps. The velocity is responsible for the majority of the fragmentation.

I'm not convinced enough to go to all copper bullets in my muzzle loader. I'm pretty picky about how I butcher venison and only eat what I butcher myself. This is a non-issue for me.

My only thought is that we as hunters have a duty to always do the right thing. With the scrutiny of the public eye constantly upon us we have no choice if we wish to survive. Not commenting on the validity of the research & had the same ? of slug versus rifle but if it becomes a major public concern I would support the change the same as I did the non-toxic rounds for waterfowl. Small price to pay, in my mind, to show that we are truly the world's conservationists.
Maggs

I have been using all copper sabots in my ML for about the last 5-6yrs, I love 'em. I wouldn't mind using all copper slugs for shotgun season, but Holy Price raise Batman, if I had to use only non-toxic rounds for pheasant, clays and teaching the kid to shoot!!! WOW, "I'm sorry kid, you can only shoot 5 shots today because I can only afford to buy that many shells at $4 a bang".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All the game I have shot with a gun died of lead poisoning.

The 'Bonker</div></div>
laughing.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you find it the least bit strange that the guy doing research has a vested interest in the outcome?
The 'Bonker </div></div>

hoofline.gif

I certainly am not saying we all need to believe everything we read. I do however encourage everyone to keep an open mine when we do read something. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

The above article was posted for informational purposes only. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

I am not trying to beat a dead horse to death here guys, just trying to keep everyone informed. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hoofline.gif

Study: bullet fragments spread lead in venison

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A study on bullet fragmentation begun over concern about lead in hunter-harvested deer has found fragments spread farther than most hunters might expect, Minnesota wildlife officials said.

The Department of Natural Resources found lead fragments as far as 18 inches away from the wound in its tests of different bullets fired into sheep carcasses.

"These fragments really go a long way," said Lou Cornicelli, the DNR's big game program coordinator and a study co-author. "The take-home is if you shoot lead bullets, there's going to be lead in the venison and there's not much you can do about it."

Lead in venison became an issue in March when samples of ground venison in North Dakota food pantries tested positive for traces of lead. Lead also was soon discovered in venison donated to Minnesota food banks.

The study found that bullets fired from rifles fragmented more than those fired from shotguns or muzzleloaders. And it found that cheaper, fast-mushrooming lead-core bullets spread fragments farther than
copper-jacketed or all-copper bullets engineered to mushroom more slowly and penetrate farther.

The study also found that rinsing carcasses didn't eliminate lead. Instead, it may simply spread the lead to other areas of the meat.

Minnesota's venison donation program will operate this year, though far fewer processors have signed up. Heidi Kassenborg, director of the state Agriculture Department's dairy and food inspection division, said processors have been required to attend seminars on safe handling of deer meat.

Only whole cuts of meat will be allowed because ground venison has a higher risk of lead contamination. The department also plans to X-ray random samples of venison as an extra check before it goes to food shelves, Kassenborg said.

The state Department of Health has advised that children under 6 and pregnant women avoid eating venison and the state's guidance to hunters butchering their own deer is to trim "liberally" around the wound.

"There is no definitive answer to how much additional meat you need to discard to ensure that no random lead particles remain," the DNR says in a list of 10 tips for hunters.

Dave Schad, director of the DNR's fish and wildlife division, said the study will help hunters choose bullets to cut their risk of lead contamination.

Dr. William Cornatzer, a Bismarck physician and hunter whose tests on venison spotlighted the problem in North Dakota, said he hadn't seen the Minnesota study but called it a wake-up call for hunters.

"It just is reconfirming that we need to be careful and probably switch to safer bullets," he said.

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Top Bottom