Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DB Blind

kvschmid

Anybody spent the night in their ground blind? We were thinking about making a quick trip out west for turkeys this weekend and instead of taking a tent, just spend the night in the blind. The only problem I can think of is rain, in which case we can just hike out and spend the night in the truck.

Tarp is a good idea, I'll take the ground cloth to one of my pack tents. My son will probably appreciate something between him and ground. As for light, I am thinking about a little candle lattern I have never got around to using. I figure it should be good for an hour or two of light which is more then we'll need. The more I think about camping the more I like it. No driving 40 miles for a Super 8, finding a place still open to eat, getting to bed late, up in several hours to eat a bagel, drive back out to hike in before light. We'll just be there - no fuss, save gas and get more sleep and should be a good time.

Tarp might be a little noisy for some people, light: hopefully the moon is out in full that night or just a little flash light. Reason for a tarp would be just incase heavy ran but shredder is right if you get a light ran and no ground ponds!

I might open the top for some moon light. On another note, I bought a thermacell last fall but never got around to using it. Has anyone used one in a ground blind and are there any ventilation issues? I suppose I should be worried about stinking up the blind too.

Ditching the thermacell - instructions state that it is not to be used in enclosed areas as vapors are harmful if inhaled.

Just in theory...if you are in the Thermacell "Zone or Protection", wouldn't you be inhaling some of the vapors???? ANything that will kill a bug has some potential harmful effects on humans

The only reason why I haven't already done this myself is that the ticks are so thick on my farm I thought I would be crawling with them in the morning!

Set your blind where you are going to hunt and let the gobbling wake you up! Good idea!

DB blind was a bit cramped with chairs, bows, packs, etc. but it worked out. One person might work better as you could lay down diagonally to straighten out. Sadly the birds did not cooperate and held up about 85 yards out twice but we had a good time. About 1:00 a.m. the coyotes went crazy for about 5 minutes followed by farm dogs for miles around. Had several deer blowing at us early a.m. heading back to the timber. We will give it another try when we go out to work stands in a couple of weeks. I might set up high and take the spotting scope. Without the hunting gear I might be able to include a pack stove for coffee and eggs in the morning. BTW - the Badlands packs (2200 and Monster) worked great as they have the bedroll straps built in.

Top Bottom