Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DblTree Food Plot Questions

DMiller6868

Had a few questions on a fall plot and this seems to be the best resource I've found.

I've decided to go with the fall rye, spring oats, winter peas, radish and clover mix (all the credit must go to dbltree though).

I had a few questions. This plot will go in Central Ohio if that makes a difference.

I currently will be planting 2 acres of this mix in an old pasture. The farmer has agreed to come and brush hog the field and disc it. He's unfortunately pushed this out and hasn't had much time to help us with the equipment so I'm running behind.

1. Can we brush hog the field, disc it and plant in the same day? I understand it's not the ideal situation and cutting, spraying waiting for it all to die, then discing and planting would be normal course but could we get away with it and spot spray later for weeds?
2. How do you broadcast the various seeds? I've read the threads but am not clear on if you mix them all together or do it separately.
3. I'm going to apply 100 lbs of pelletized lime per acre and some fertilizer, which would be the best fertilizer 10-10-10??

Any other thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Thx!

Dave

You will be fine for the fall. Some weeds may emerge but the oats/rye will fight them off. You will however get a bloom in the spring. Fertilizer 6-24-24 would be better. I do the oat/rye together. Then the radish and peas together. Then drag or harrow those seeds in a little. Pack soil and then broadcast clover. Repack soil again.

Not the best but will work. Problem I had was ground is so hard that there is a lot of hard clods. Cultipacker broke them up a little.

Top Bottom