Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

dead buck question?

livetohunt

i was out late muzzy hunting and found a dead buck. i left it there because i didn't know if i needed a special tag for it or what? is it legal to take the head? or i still have my bow tag is it legal to put that tag on it so i can keep it?

Don't know whyy you couldn't put your bow tag on it. What's the difference in hitting a buck and not finding it for two weeks (slim chance) and randomly walking up on a dead one. If there is anyu chance you miught still use your bow tag though, I'd not burn it on a dead deer and get a salvage tag instead.

Yea what are the clear rules here? What if you hit a buck with bow dont find it til shotgun season can you put your bow tag on it? Can you put a shotgun tag on it or does it need a salvage tag. Obviously the meat will be no good. The only thing that would be worth taking is the head.

Yea what are the clear rules here? What if you hit a buck with bow dont find it til shotgun season can you put your bow tag on it? Can you put a shotgun tag on it or does it need a salvage tag. Obviously the meat will be no good. The only thing that would be worth taking is the head.

This very thing happened several years ago. A guy shot a giant double drop up by Dubuque during bow season and didn't find it. Found it during gun season and tagged it (not sure if he used a gun or bow tag to be honest) and a few days later it was confiscated and he never got it back.

Easiest solution, call a conservation officer and ask, 9 times out of 10 you get a salvage tag.

You can put the bow on it I have been in this situation before with a 200 incher and the game warden came investigated and I was completely in the right

It is going to depend on the local CO. I found a huge buck in Van Buren county 10 years ago during shotgun season that had been dead for some time. I called the CO and asked if I could put one of my tags on it or if I had to get a salvage tag and he said I couldn't touch it because there was a poaching problem in the area. He refused to issue me a salvage tag and that was that. I left it. It didn't make sense to me but that's how he handled it.

This very thing happened several years ago. A guy shot a giant double drop up by Dubuque during bow season and didn't find it. Found it during gun season and tagged it (not sure if he used a gun or bow tag to be honest) and a few days later it was confiscated and he never got it back.

Easiest solution, call a conservation officer and ask, 9 times out of 10 you get a salvage tag.

I'm thinking he put a bow tag on it and bow season was not open. Not positive but I'm thinking that was the case.

Ok, I just dealt with this exact situation this spring. Buck I was hunting for a year. Don't see him for a year. Found him this spring, had been hit by a car and made it to some real tall weeds. Not much left but skull, rack and a few bones. Called my CO. told him what I had found and that I had taken it to my house, ( found while shed hunting). He came to my house and filled out a salvage tag for me.
He proceeded to tell me that what I had done was Illegal. If I had justfound the horns without any skull attatched I could legally remove the horns. If there is any skull attatched you have to leave it lay and call your CO. They will come to the area and investigate. They then have the option to take the skull or write you a tag for it. If they deem the situation a little suspicious they confiscate, if they feel you actually found it and have no reason to believe there was any wrongdoing they will write you the tag. All depends on the area, circumstances, and Co's feeling on the situation. Most are willing to work with you out of season, a little less during season.

If you really want it bust the horns off, leaving no skull attatched. I suggest calling.

I say keep your mouth shut, dont put pics of dead heads online, dont go "showing it off"
I have a bad taste in my mouth about the DNR. If they want to take the deer head they can. Its 100 % BS!! Just like the old saying "shoot, shovel, and shut up!!" Or call for a salvage tag for EVERY dead buck u find. Weither it be a fresh spike kill or 10 year old spike to a 200". They will tell u to stop calling. and if they ask how big it is it shouldnt matter what the deer scores>

just take it home

I'm with teeroy......I have found dozens of dead bucks over the years with no problems. Granted none are 200 inchers but some dandies none the less. I have never heard of anyone getting into trouble for having a head laying around that they found,but I have heard of several instances when a CO was called only to be told they couldn't keep the rack. Some poeple actually get found racks mounted which is rediculous to me but to each his own.

Last edited:
You need a salvage tag to legally take it.

I don't see why he would need a salvage tag if he is willing to burn

a bow tag on it? As long as the season is open, you have a tag for the

season and foul play is not assumed I do not see a problem with it if you

are willing to burn a tag for it.

A salvage would be needed if he did not want to burn a tag on it? JMHO

I hear what you're saying, all I'm posting is what is probably the smartest and most legal thing to do. Call a CO or sheriff and ask about the situation. The easiest thing to do is saw the horns off and not say anything. My bet is that CO's would rather not deal with a dead buck that was found and is mostly eaten up.

If i wanted the rack and skull plate i would call the dnr and have them tag it.If not then i would just saw each antler off individually and take them home.I couldn't see putting a bow tag on a dead deer that might have been shot with a gun and not recovered.

I have called our CO for 4 salvage tags in the past several years. The CO always comes out and inspects the remains and runs over them with his metal detector. He has yet to find anything. Every time so far he has issued me a salvage tag, however the largest buck was mid 140's. I have a funny feeling if it was a 170"+ he would most likely take the rack. Which is BS, which is why he will never get that call. :)

I have called our CO for 4 salvage tags in the past several years. The CO always comes out and inspects the remains and runs over them with his metal detector. He has yet to find anything. Every time so far he has issued me a salvage tag, however the largest buck was mid 140's. I have a funny feeling if it was a 170"+ he would most likely take the rack. Which is BS, which is why he will never get that call. :)

And if he find you with a 200 inch rack with no tag on it what do you think he would think.
I know a guy that found a 200 incher this year that had been hit by a car.He called the co and got a salvage tag for it.
I dont know if that funny feeling would get you off the hook.

I would think that if you have a tag available for a date that is in season, there should be no problem tagging a dead deer or a live deer. I wouldn't try and use a tag for a season that is over like shotgun. That's just asking for more trouble.

On the other hand, just taking it is not out of the question. You see headless deer along the highway's all the time. If u found one in the woods, you know the next guy that stumbles upon it is going to take it so you might as well take it too.

But in the grand scheme of things, It's just bone and you have to figure out how much risk you are willing to take for it. If you do the legal thing, you may lose it, If you let it lay, you may lose it, If you pick it up, you may get fined or lose your hunting privileges..

Top Bottom